- Text Size +
Chapter 24

Tony entered the basement. Without a word, he went to Gibbs' work bench, bypassing Gibbs working on his boat. He dumped the contents two mason jars out on the work top. He then took Gibbs bottle of bourbon from its customary hiding place and poured them both a shot. He handed one of the jars to Gibbs before taking a sip from his.

"Gibbs I…." Tony started.

"She would have been 29 today, Tony." Gibbs said, shaking his head. "Twenty-nine."

"I didn't remember…."

"I didn't want you to." Gibb said, taking another sip. "It's not exactly a celebration."

"It's not supposed to be." Tony said. "But you can't forget either."

"Never happen, trust me." Gibbs stated. He put down his bourbon and picked up a piece of sandpaper.

"That's not what I meant. Like today, with that little boy." Tony sat down on his usual stair step and sat his bourbon down beside him. "The only thing I could think of was those pictures I have of Olivia at, Jason, I think his name was, at his age. I just…."

Gibbs just sipped his bourbon and listened. He had already finished what Tony had poured and had poured himself a little more.

"I can't imagine doing something like that to Olivia, and I can't imagine what…." Tony was about to say 'what you are going through.' But he didn't want to tear open old wounds any further. By the way Gibbs was drinking; Tony could tell they were open enough. "It caused me to remember some things I would rather have forgotten." Tony paused. "Oh, and if Olivia calls, I never told you anything about my childhood."

"She would never believe that. And what did you do?" Gibbs asked.

"Why is it always me? Tony asked, trying to play innocent and failing miserably.

"What. Did. You. Do?" Gibbs demanded.

Tony sighed. "I may have 'forgotten' to tell her all about my childhood. Well, actually, a lot about my childhood. And I…I accidently let something slip when I talked to her today. I had to explain myself." Tony stated. "She cornered me on it. I…I couldn't lie to her. I told her about how my arm got broken. I haven't told her everything…. She got so upset. I…I didn't like to see her cry, Gibbs. It broke my heart. I… is this what it feels like to see your child hurting?"

Gibbs nodded. "And it affects you the same if they are 5 or if they're 25." He added.

Gibbs and Tony sat, in a comfortable silence, for several minutes. Then Tony finally spoke.

"That scene today, it just…." Tony looked at Gibbs for a moment. "I know you were a great dad to Kelly."

Gibbs acknowledged what Tony said, and raised his jar. He and Tony toasted and drank 'to Kelly.'

TBC