- Text Size +
Chapter 25

These foot falls sounded…almost familiar, causing Gibbs to look up to see his unexpected guest. He smiled as she walked down the stairs.

She came over to him and slipped her arms around his waist and hugged him tightly. "How are you, Grandpa?"

Gibbs nodded. "I'm okay. I'm glad you're here."

Olivia looked at him for a moment. Her intelligent green eyes probing into him the same way her father's did.

"Isn't school still in? Does Tony know you're here? You drove all the way here to…."

Olivia smiled. "Yes. No. And I drove all this way to see you." She took Tony's accustomed stair step and sat.

Gibbs gave her his look. She didn't flinch. "People have actually cried from me just giving them 'the look.'"

Olivia just stared at Gibbs for a moment, unconcerned. "Well then, I guess it's a good thing I'm not easily intimidated."

"Another unfortunate trait of your father's…" Gibbs mumbled under his breath. He then told Olivia. "You talked to him, I gathered."

Olivia nodded. "I reminded him about Kelly…."

"When did Tony tell you about Kelly?" Gibbs asked, interrupting. He was surprised Tony had told her anything.

"Not long ago. I mentioned that I thought you would have made a good dad. And he…he just said that she was 9 when she died. She and her mother were killed in a car accident." Olivia concluded.

Gibbs nodded.

"I got the feeling that there is more to the story. But he told me all I needed to know." Olivia stated.

"There is more, but he was right." Gibbs agreed. "What Tony told you was the most important…that I lost my daughter and wife in a car wreck."

"I am so sorry." Olivia said sincerely.

Gibbs picked up a piece of sandpaper. He held it out to Olivia. "You ever worked on a boat before?"

Olivia shook her head. She stood up and took the sandpaper from Gibbs.

Gibbs showed her how to properly sand the rib. He then went to work on another rib. They worked in silence for about half an hour.

Olivia nodded and smiled. "I get it, the boat, the basement, the bourbon. I get it. This is actually pretty…cathartic."

Gibbs put down his sandpaper and just looked at her. "You didn't come all this way, Olivia, to help me sand my boat." Gibbs said, using his penetrating investigator stare. "Why are you here?"

Olivia put her sandpaper down too. "Dad said you…you were taking this birthday a little rougher than the others. He mentioned it to me…when…when we talked…." Olivia stated.

Olivia saw Gibbs expression change.

"Don't be angry with him. He's…he's concerned. He…." Olivia hugged Gibbs again. "You've done so much for Dad. He… I see how he acts around you. I see how you act around him. You're…protective of him. And I don't just mean from a boss standpoint. I know you care about him." Olivia paused. "He's special to you. I just want you to know how much I appreciate that. How much it means to me that he has someone like that in his life."

"I…." Gibbs started.

Olivia smiled. "You're like a big grouchy papa bear guarding his cubs." Olivia paused realizing what she had just said. "Please don't tell Abby I said that. I don't want her to get in trouble."

Gibbs just smiled and nodded.

"Given the way his dad is…" Olivia continued. "…I don't see how Dad turned out the way he did. He could have just so easily ended up in jail, or worse. I…."

"Tony has a good heart, Olivia. That's what saved him." Gibbs replied.

Olivia nodded. "Yes, he does." Olivia returned to her sanding. "He could have so easily rejected getting to know me. He could have held so much against my mother. He could have…well, the list goes on and on." Olivia stated. "But he didn't. He accepted me with open arms. He forgave my mother and he has gotten to know, and I think love, my brother and sister. I even think he likes my other dad."

Gibbs nodded. "Tony is grateful you have such a good family and that you grew up loved."

Olivia smiled. "He is a kind, gentle, sweet man. But I didn't come here to talk about him."

"Are you sure?" Gibbs said. "I have some great stories…."

"I'm sure you do." Olivia agreed, smiling. "I… but I want to hear about Kelly." Olivia said, unsure how to broach the subject. "That is, if you want to tell me about her."

Gibbs nodded and as both put down their sandpaper and took seats on the stairs.

"I'm sorry, Grandpa. If, if you…if you don't want to…I understand. It's Ok." Olivia said, trying to give Gibbs an out if he needed one.

Gibbs shook his head. "I...I just… I don't talk about her, about them, a lot. I haven't told a lot of people. I…Tony wouldn't have found out if I hadn't have been injured a few years ago. It…it's painful…hurts to remember."

Olivia nodded. "I can understand that. I can understand why." She conceded. "I'm not asking to be nosy. I asking because…because I…you're family. I…love you. And big grouchy bears don't scare me." Olivia said, smiling.

"You are way too much like Tony." Gibbs observed.

Gibbs and Olivia spend the next several hours just sitting on the stair steps. Gibbs told Olivia all about the 9 years he had known his daughter. He let her listen to Kelly's piano recital tape. He told her about Maddie. He even mentioned the lunchbox filled with mementos he had reburied in the back yard.

Olivia took Gibbs hand and held it. "You got to have 9 years to spend with a very special little girl. She was lucky to have you too, you know." Olivia said looking at Gibbs. "Not every girl is lucky enough to have Leroy Jethro Gibbs in their lives." Olivia smiled. Olivia looked at her watch and then stood up. "I have to go, Grandpa. I wanted to see Dad before I headed back." She stopped and looked at him. "Are you going to be OK?"

Gibb nodded. "Much better now, thanks to you."

"I love you, Gandpa."

"Love you too, Baby Girl." Gibbs said, standing and hugging his granddaughter. He waited until she was through the basement door before he turned his attention back to his boat. It was strange. He felt better. He was actually smiling.

Gibbs began to hum as he again, picked up a piece of sandpaper.

TBC