- Text Size +
Chapter 26

Tony got up off the couch and muted the TV. He looked at his watch. He usually didn’t have visitors this late in the evening and he wondered who it could be. When Tony opened his door he got a huge surprise.

“Hey, Baby Girl!” Tony said, pulling his grown daughter into a big hug. “I didn’t expect to see you!” He pulled away from her and looked at her. “You’re okay, right?’ Tony asked. “Nothing’s wrong?”

Olivia nodded. “I’m fine, Dad.” She smiled and giggled. She loved his concern. “I know I probably should have called, but….”

“But…?” Tony said, guiding her to his sofa. They both sat down.

“After what you said about Grandpa. I just…I couldn’t get him out of my mind. He…I just thought I needed to come see him.” Olivia stated.

“Did it help?” Tony asked. Her caring for Gibbs and her visit didn't surprise him.

Olivia nodded. “I think it did. I think it helped a lot.” Olivia explained. “He…he told me a lot about Kelly.” Olivia paused and studied her hands for just a moment. She then looked back up at Tony. “He gave…I got the impression I am one of the very few people who know the whole story. I mean…about Kelly’s life.”

Tony sighed. “You would be correct.”

“Are you…” Olivia stammered. “…I don’t even know how to ask this.” Olivia looked Tony in the eye. “Are you okay with this? I just got the impression you are not one of those few people. He never came out and said so….”

Tony nodded.

“You two are so close….” Olivia started.

Tony nodded again. “We are very close. It’s like that was another lifetime for him now, I believe.” Tony explained. “Things have changed so much, and I think for the better, since that time. I think he has almost allowed himself to believe that it was like it was all a bad dream.” Tony paused. “I mean he knows he’s lost Kelly and Shannon. But it’s just…he’s built a wall around them.”

“So he only has to remember on birthday and anniversaries.” Olivia stated, understanding. “Is that healthy?”

Tony shook his head. “I don’t know.” He looked at Olivia. “And I never want to find out.” He said, slipping his arm around his daughter.

Olivia shook her head. “I can see why you like him so much, despite his big grouchy bear exterior.” Olivia paused. “I let that slip to Grandpa. He won’t get too mad at Abby, will he?”

Tony shook his head. “Nah, he’ll just ‘forget’ to bring her in a Caf-Pow on Monday morning.”

Olivia nodded and smiled. “Well, I’ve got to go. I wanted to stop by and see you before I go. I went to Baltimore before I went to see Grandpa.” Olivia stood up. She gave Tony a huge hug. “I love you, Dad.”

“Love you too, Baby Girl.” Tony said hugging her tightly.


NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS


The phone ringing jerked Tony out of a deep sleep. He fumbled to find it on the table. The ID showed the Martins name and home number. Tony’s hand trembled as he opened the phone. Something was not right.

“Hello.” Tony said, tentatively.

“She ‘s hurt, Tony.” Sallie Martin said, through her tears. “She’s hurt.” Then suddenly all Tony heard was sobbing in the background.

The next voice he heard was Jacob Martin. He was trying to comfort his wife and talk to Tony at the same time. “It’s Olivia, Tony.” There was a long pause and when Jacob spoke again he could tell it was bad. “She’s…she’s been in an accident. A multicar pile-up, she was caught in the middle. She’s…we don’t know her condition. She was airlifted to a hospital in Ohio.” Jacob paused. “She’s…we’re going now. Just packing…we have a flight out in about an hour.” Jacob paused again.

Tony nodded, though even in his stunned state; he knew Jacob could not see him. “I’ll be there.” Tony managed to say before disconnecting.

Tony jumped up off the bed and sprang into action. He threw on some clothes and brushed his teeth and combed his hair. He then called the airport and reserved his flight as he packed a bag, grabbing enough clothes for 3 or 4 days. He then raided the bathroom. Throwing in all the things he thought he would need, and some he was sure he wouldn’t, into the bag. He then hurriedly zipped the bag closed. He took one last look around the apartment before he grabbed his weapon and his jacket and headed out the door.

Tony tried to keep him mind on his driving. But he was having difficulty seeing the road through his tears, and he had to keep wiping his eyes to see. He had no experience with this type of emotion. His daughter, his flesh and blood was hurt, was hurting and he didn’t know how to deal with what he was feeling. The anger surprised him. He was angrier than he had ever been in his life. Not at Olivia, but at the situation. He was angry his daughter was hurt, and there was nothing he could do about it. He was also more hurt than he had even been in his life. A hurt that was deep, bone deep, it was anguish. A hurt bore only out of a love a father has for his child. The pain drove him. He made it to the airport in record time. He used his badge to make it through security and he was seated on his flight with minutes to spare.

Tony claimed his seat, not taking the time to check his bag. It was small enough for the over head compartment. He shoved the bag in, then sat down and buckled his seatbelt. He bowed his head as he waited for takeoff, willing his emotions not to take him over again.

TBC