- Text Size +
Chapter 27

The flight seemed to take forever. But since it was the redeye, he had no layovers and was in Ohio quickly. He knew he had to call Gibbs and was dreading the conversation. He could barely keep it together now. He wasn't sure he could even say the words to Gibbs. He hailed a cab as he put in his call to Gibbs.

NCIS NCIS NCIS

This had been a night for the record books. Gibbs had awoken from a sound sleep at 3 p.m. His gut was churning and he had no idea why. He sat up in bed for a few moments before he realized that this would be the end of any sleeping he would be doing. He got out of bed and made his way downstairs to the kitchen. He put on a pot of coffee and poured himself a cup as soon as it finished brewing.

He moved restlessly through his house, unable to sit in one place for any length of time. He visited and revisited rooms. He walked up and down the hall. He even went back upstairs and lay down, several times. Each time knowing he would not be able to sleep. He kept glancing at his phone, again, unsure why. But knowing he didn't want to be too far away from it. He finally decided to get dressed at about 4 a.m. He carried his phone in one hand up the stairs, and his coffee in the other.

When Gibbs came back downstairs, he was fully dressed. He still had his phone and his coffee. And for some reason he had felt compelled to pack a bag. It now sat beside him on the kitchen table. He had packed a few days worth of clothes. He parked himself in a chair and slowly sipped his coffee, and waited for whatever was coming his way.

NCIS NCIS NCIS

"Boss...Gibbs...she's hurt...my baby...my girl." Tony said, tears streaming down his face. He was sitting in the back of a cab on the way to the hospital where Olivia had been airlifted.

Gibbs had answered before the first ring stopped. He had not bothered to look at the caller ID. And now he had no idea who the caller was on the other end. He had never heard Tony this upset and had had to listen carefully to understand, first, what the person was saying, and second, who was saying it.

"DiNozzo! Tony?" Gibbs questioned still was unsure who he was talking to.

"She's...hurt, Gibbs."

"Tony? Is that you? I..." Gibbs could tell he was still upset, but at least it was a little easier to understand what he was saying.

"...hurt, hurt bad..." Tony continued. Gibbs had not idea if Tony had even heard him or not.

"Tony? What...? Who's hurt? What...?" Gibbs imagination was running away with him at this point. Horrible scenarios were playing themselves out in his mind and his gut was practically rolling. He almost felt physically ill.

"...Olivia..." Tony said.

Gibbs understood little of what came before or after that. But he heard her name and it made his blood run cold. He fought back the urge to vomit.

Tony continued to speak, but Gibbs forced himself to interrupt Tony. He calmly asked. "Tony what's going on? Where are you?"

Gibbs could tell Tony was struggling to speak so he asked the question again.

"My girl, Boss. My baby. She...She was in a car wreck on the way home, from seeing us, from..."

Gibbs could see Tony shaking his head. He could see the weight, the blame, Tony was putting on himself. "This was not your fault, DiNozzo. Do. Not. Go there!" Gibbs paused. "Where are you, Tony?" Gibbs asked again.

Gibbs could see Tony shaking his head. He was not sure Tony even heard the second question. "I told her. She wouldn't have come if I hadn't told her."

"You were not driving the car that hit her. This is NOT your fault!" Gibbs asserted.

"Got it, Boss." Tony cleared his throat. "I took the first flight I could get. I'm almost at the hospital now." Tony gave Gibbs the information on the location of the hospital.

"I'm on my way." Gibbs stated.

"To Ohio?" Tony asked. He could not hide his surprise.

"Are you going to stop me from seeing my granddaughter?" Gibbs asked, almost as a challenge.

"No." Tony said, and Gibbs could almost see the small smile spreading across Tony's face.

"Then I'm on my way." Gibbs repeated.

Gibbs booked his flight as soon as he got to the airport. He took a seat in the airport lounge. He had about 30 minutes before he had to board and he had several calls to make. He called the director first. Gibbs knew Vance, first of all ,not be happy to be woken up this early in the morning. Second to find out his best MCRT could be out of commission for a little while. But he also knew, as much as he wouldn't like it, Vance would understand. Because as much as he didn't like Tony, he did have a daughter.

He then called Tim and Ziva. He didn't know a whole lot yet, but he told them all he did know.

"I will see you at the airport, yes?" Ziva said. She had come fully awake upon hearing the news and had jumped out of bed. She dressed quickly and began to pack a bag.

"Ziva..."

"Tony is my partner, yes?" Ziva said, beginning her protest. "He is my partner and my friend and he will need us there."

"Ziva." Gibbs pretended to protest. He knew Ziva would want to be there. He didn't have the heart to keep her away from her friend. And she was absolutely right, Tony would need all the support he could get.

"I am on my way." By this time Ziva was getting in her car. "When is the flight?"

Knowing how Ziva drove, Gibbs replied. "Don't worry. You have plenty of time."

Gibbs then placed the call to Tim. He responded in the same way and before long they both had joined Gibbs at the airport. They all waited impatiently for the flight that would take them to Ohio.

Gibbs made the difficult calls and broke the news to Ducky and Abby as he waited for Tim and Ziva to arrive at the airport.

TBC