- Text Size +
“She’s back.” Tim started, almost in a whisper.

“What?” Ziva asked. She had not heard what Tim had said.

“She’s back.” Tim repeated, this time a little louder.

Tony looked up in response to the conversation and saw a visitor coming his way.

“Hello.” Tony said, looking up at her. “You were here about a week ago, right? Olivia?”

Olivia nodded.

“It was okay for you to have called me. I meant it when I said day or night.” Tony smiled. It was a very warm open smile and his eyes sparkled.

Maybe Mom was right. Maybe she was worried for nothing. Olivia started. “This was not something I could say to you over the phone. I…” Olivia paused and looked around realizing, just then, the openness of the bullpen. “…can we go somewhere and talk, in private?”

“Sure.” Tony said, standing up and nodding. He shot confused glances back at his team mates as he and Olivia headed to the back hall on the third floor.

“It’s not private, but at least there is just a little traffic back here.” Tony said as he leaned against the wall. He waited for Olivia to speak.

Olivia sighed. She was scared. No, she was terrified. She felt herself about to chicken out again. “This is a mistake.” Olivia shook her head. “I’m sorry.”

“Olivia.” Tony said, watching Olivia struggle. “This is important to you, whatever it is. You’ve been here to see me twice.” Tony moved closer to her. He put his hand on her arm. She didn’t pull away, so he spoke again. “It must be important, or you wouldn’t have come back. You can talk to me.”

Olivia looked into her father’s eyes and saw the compassion her mother had spoken of so many times. She plunged ahead. “Do you know Sallie Martin? Do you remember her?”

Olivia’s question surprised him. Tony had to think for a second.

“Blond, blue eyes, graduate student at Ohio State?”

Tony nodded.

“Well, I’m her daughter. She always told me I was a special gift. She told me the man who was my dad was a special man, too.” Olivia looked up at him. There were tears in her green eyes. “She never forgot you. She wanted me to thank you.”

Tony took his hand off her arm and just stared at her for a moment. “I…I am…What?” It was a good thing there was a wall behind Tony at that moment, if there hadn’t been, he would have fallen to the floor.

“That is definitely not something you would tell someone over the phone.” Tony said, recovering just a little.

“Nope.” Olivia said, smiling. She wiped her eyes.

Tony shook his head.

“I didn’t know how to tell you…” Olivia said. “…except just to tell you.”

“Why…?”

“Why didn’t she tell you 18 years ago? Why didn’t she tell you you were a father? Why didn’t she tell you she was pregnant? Why wait so long? Why now?” Olivia asked. Those had been very similar to the questions she had asked Sallie over the years.

Tony nodded. “Yes! Yes, all those and probably more.”

“I’ve asked Mom those too over the years. She told me that she wanted to give you the answer to those questions herself.” Olivia paused. “But I can answer the ‘Why now?’ Mom told me she wanted to let me make that decision. When I was old enough… I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing.” She paused. “I…I don’t want to interrupt your life. I just wanted to meet you.”

Tony nodded and looked at his daughter. Really looked at her, the resemblance was remarkable. He had noticed it when first met her. It was no doubt she was his. “Wow! I’m a dad. I’m a father.” Tony said shaking his head. He smiled. “I am very, very glad you told me. And there is NO way you could interrupt my life.”

Olivia smiled at him. She nodded. “Mom always said I looked just like you. She said I look like you and act like her. But I could talk myself out of anything, and I could charm the leaves off the trees.”

Tony smiled. “You got that from me.” He preened.

Olivia nodded. “That’s what she said.”

“What…I…I don’t even know your name.” Tony stated.

“Olivia Marie DiNozzo-Martin.” Olivia replied. “I had wanted to add DiNozzo for years, but Mom made me wait until I was older, to make sure it was really what I wanted to. So, as soon as I turned 18, I added it. My birthday was April 17th.”

“Olivia.” Tony said shaking his head. “Beautiful name.” He looked at her and held his arms out to her.

Tears streamed down Olivia’s face. She practically fell into her father’s arms, hugging him tightly and resting her head on his shoulder.

“Happy Birthday.” Tony whispered in Olivia’s ear.


TBC