- Text Size +
Chapter 30

Gibbs left the room, still grinning. He came back seconds later with a wheelchair.

"Come on." Gibbs said as he motioned for Tony to get into the chair.

Tony grinned broadly. "Really?"

Gibbs nodded and sighed. "You want to see Olivia." He looked at his other two agents. "And you obviously seem strong enough. So, let's go."

"Thanks, Boss." Tony said as he got into the chair. "And guys," Tony said to Tim and Ziva. "…I really am sorry."

Ziva nodded and took command of the IV pole.

"It's OK, Tony." Tim said as he tried to straighten his rumpled clothing.

They all then left Tony's room and headed for the ICU.

Meanwhile, Olivia seemed to be getting restless. She was moving her hands more. She moved her good leg a little and she had opened her eyes. She seemed to be scanning the room, but at the same time, her gaze seemed unfocused.

Gibbs wheeled Tony in and they both could tell something was different almost immediately.

Sallie and Jacob were standing by Olivia's bed. Jacob's parents had flown in and were taking care of Jeremy and Crystal in their hotel room.

Gibbs wheeled Tony right up to the bed and Tony stood using the rail. He peered down at his daughter for just a second before he took her hand.

"Hey, Baby Girl, it's Dad, DaddyT." Tony said.

Olivia seemed to zero in on Tony's voice. Her eyes apparent to focus and she looked right at him.

"Hey, Babe." Tony said. "I'm right here." He said as he gave her hand a reassuring squeeze.

Olivia's eyes followed him and when he got out of her field of vision, she panicked. She tried to talk, as much as the breathing tube would allow, anyway. And in a very characteristic Tony-move she had her hand on her breathing tube almost before anyone could catch it. But Tony was just a second quicker and had prevented her from pulling it out.

"It's OK. I know it's not comfortable right now. But you need it to breathe. The doctor will take it out as soon as you're ready." Tony said as he held hand. He tried to soothe her by stroking her hair with the other.

Olivia nodded that she understood just as Olivia's doctor showed up after being paged she was awake. Tony's nurse showed up about the same time. She ushered everybody out of the room so that she could examine Olivia in private. Marge stood in the doorway hands on her hips, looking very unpleased at her patient. Spotted his wheelchair and motioned for him to sit. Realizing he had been caught and looking very sheepish, Tony got into the wheelchair.

Marge rolled the chair out into the hallway before she spoke. "You're lucky I didn't tell you to get your skinny white ass in this wheelchair…in front of your daughter." Marge said as she and Tony continued down the hall.

Tony looked up at Marge for just a moment. "Most people get to know me a little before they tell me what they will do with my skinny white ass." Tony said smiling. She did look a little familiar to him.

Marge put her hand on Tony's shoulder. "I know you from a few years back. It's hard to forget your first plague victim."

"The ICU at Bethesda."

Marge nodded. "I know that was one hell of a month for you, Baby."

"Yes, it was." Tony agreed.

"I knew I liked you then. I have never seen anyone with so much drive, so much will to live." Marge stated. "Frankly, when you first came in there, Baby, I was ready to write you off. You had survived the worst of it. But you were so sick, so weak…." Marge said shaking her head.

"Oh, you missed it…" Tony said desperately wanting to change the subject. "…I put on a show earlier. But I would have had to charge you a dollar…you know…admission. Ziva got the free preview." Tony said, shooting her the eye.

"Hon, I've seen enough hairy Italian butts to last me a lifetime." Marge said chuckling. She then bent down and whispered in Tony's ear. "But for you, I would have paid $20."

Marge straightened back up. She patted Tony shoulder again as his grin broadened.

Marge had delivered Tony to his room by this time. He got up out of the chair and got into bed.

"If you leave this room again, you tell a nurse." Marge stated.

Tony smiled and nodded. Gibbs was also smiling. He, Ziva and Tim had followed Tony back.

"And you!" Marge pointed to Gibbs. "HE can get into enough trouble on his own. He don't need no help."

"Yes, ma'm." Gibbs said, almost standing at attention.

"You stay in bed and rest for an hour." Marge said before she left. "Then you can go back up and visit with your daughter." She looked pointedly at Tony. "And I mean an hour."

By the time Tony returned to Olivia's room her breathing tube was out and she was anxious to see him.

"We had to tell her you were a patient here. She noticed the hospital gown." Sallie explained. "She can't talk well, but she kept asking to see you. I told her you needed your rest."

Tony nodded. He went to her beside and took her hand again. "I'm OK, Baby Girl. I just let myself get too tired. I was worried about you."

"…okay…now?" Olivia asked with a raspy voice.

Tony nodded as he stroked her cheek. "I'm good, much better now that you're awake." He took in the bandage on her head and the equipment she still had attached to her. "Are you hurting?"

Olivia shook her head. "No. I..don't…remember…."

Tony shook his head, silencing her. "There will be plenty of time for that later. Right now…you rest."

"…love ...you." Olivia said as she closed her eyes. She was soon fast asleep.

"I love you too, Baby." Tony said. "I love you too."

TBC