- Text Size +
CHAPTER 31

"I don't want to leave you, Baby Girl." Tony said taking his daughter's hand. "But I have to go. I have already taken so much time off. I…I just have to go back." Tony said. A week had passed since he had arrived in Ohio and he had to leave. His own hospital stay had ended only days before.

"You'll do the physical therapy? Follow the doctor's orders?" Tony asked Olivia.

Olivia nodded and smiled. She was sitting up a little now. She had even ridden around in her wheelchair on short trips.

Tony looked at Jacob and Sally. "You'll call me if…if anything changes…if you need anything?"

Both Jacob and Sally nodded.

Tony picked up his bag. He got as far as the street in front of the hospital, before he pulled out his cell phone.

"Gibbs." Tony said into his phone as soon as the other side picked up.

"Yeah, Tony." Gibbs, Tim, and Ziva had had returned to DC three days ago. He knew Tony was due to fly out today. But he had also sort of expected this call.

"Gibbs, Boss, I…." Tony stammered.

"It's okay, Tony." Gibbs said, knowing what Tony was struggling to say.

Tony was speechless, for once.

"It's okay. "I'll talk to Vance. He has a little girl. He'll understand." Gibbs paused. "How long do you think you'll need?"

Tony finally regained his voice. "I would like until she goes back to school. But I'll take another week or two." Tony paused. "How did you know?"

"I know you." Gibbs replied simply.

Tony nodded. "Yes…yes, you do. Thank you."

Gibbs chocked up a little bit. "Enjoy this second chance, Tony. Not everybody gets those."

"I know." Tony said, catching the heaving meaning of Gibbs words. "Tell everybody…she's okay. She's going to be okay."

"Well do." Gibbs said. "Look after our girl." Gibbs said before he hung up.

NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS

"So, you're staying with us a little longer, Baby?" Marge said as she saw Tony emerge from elevator and head to Olivia's room.

"Just a week for two…can you put up with me for that long?" Tony asked grinning.

"Tall, dark and handsome don't scare me, Baby." Marge replied.

"You think I'm handsome?" Tony preened.

"Yeah," Marge said, putting her hands on her hips. "…for a white boy."

"Oh, Marge…" Tony said, getting down on one knee and taking her hand. "…will you marry me?"

Marge shook her head. She gently pulled her hand away as Tony stood up. She gave him a big hug. "I'm glad you're staying, your girl needs you."

Marge then turned and started down the hall in the opposite direction. She shook her head again as she muttered to herself. "Just proves my point, white folks is crazy."

Tony could not help but laugh out loud when he heard her comment.

NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS

Tony entered his daughter's room.

"Dad?" Olivia said, looking up at as soon as he walked back in.

"I'm here for another week or two. Can you stand it?" Tony said, going over to Olivia's bed and giving her a huge hug.

"Absolutely." Olivia said, hugging him back. "I'd love to spend more time with you."

The next week were filled with pain and physical therapy. The pins and all the hardware had been removed and she had been through a couple of surgeries. Tony was able to help her a little, since he had broken his leg. Even though his was not as bad as hers, he was still able to tell her a little about what to expect. What to do in therapy. What to expect when she went home, that type thing.

"Dad?" Olivia asked after a particularly hard therapy session. "Am I going to walk again?"

"Who said you wouldn't?" Tony asked.

Olivia shook her head and put both hands to her leg. "Nobody. It's…it's just. I've been doing all this work. The PT says I am doing so well, but…but I'm just not seeing it."

"It's a process." Tony stated. "It's a slow, agonizingly painful, process." Tony put his hand on her leg. "But it will happen, Baby. You will walk again."

"Nobody tells you that part."

"What part?" Tony asked.

"About the pain, nobody tell you that part."

"They don't want to discourage their patients. I guess." Tony replied.

Olivia shook her head. "I would rather know. I want somebody to tell me what to expect. I…."

Tony grinned broadly.

"What?" Olivia asked, puzzled.

"You are SO much your father's daughter." Tony replied.

"That a good thing?"

"That's excellent." Tony replied.

NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS

Tony stepped outside Olivia's room when his phone started to ring. He had gotten bombarded by called the first day or two from the rest of Team Gibbs. They all wanted to know about Olivia, about her progress. Gibbs had since appointed himself spokespersons for the group. He would be the one to call and get updates. He would then tell the rest of the group.

"How's our girl?" Gibbs asked.

"Okay." Tony hesitated.

"What's wrong, Tony?"

"Nothing…" Tony shook his head. "…it's just…Olivia thinks she's not making progress. She's…I don't want her to become discouraged. She really is doing well. I can see it. But she doesn't."

"Do you think a visit from Grampy Gibbs would help?"

Tony didn't respond, but Gibbs could hear him laughing.

"Shut up, DiNozzo. She came up with that name." Gibbs said. "And I like it."

"Sure…Grampy. She would be glad to see you." Tony managed to get out through his laughter.

"SHE can call me Grampy. It's Boss…FORMER Boss, if you keep it up."

"Shutting up, Boss." Tony said. He was still chuckling when he hung up.

TBC