- Text Size +
Chapter 32

"I don't know about this, Grampy." Olivia said as she looked at Gibbs.

"You're ready." Gibbs said. "You've been through all the physical therapy. You've done very well. It's okay."

Moments later Tony entered the room, at Bethesda, pushing a wheelchair. Olivia had been transferred to the Maryland hospital as soon as she was stable enough to go. It was decided she would fare better in a hospital closer to her family. The decision proved to be a wise one. Olivia seemed to be improving daily. Her progress even surprised her a little.

Olivia looked at Tony puzzled.

"Gibbs is going to follow us. The wheelchair is in case you get tired." Tony explained.

"Shouldn't I be doing this with my PT?" Olivia asked.

"Your PT talked to both of us. She showed us what to do." Tony said. "You know you will likely need help too when you go home. Is the PT supposed to move in with me? With Jacob and Sallie?"

Olivia shook her head. "No, I guess not." Olivia sighed.

"What's wrong, Olivia?" Tony asked.

"I...It's...what if I can't do this?" Olivia asked. "What if my life is never the same?"

"I'm not sure what you mean, Baby." Tony replied.

"What if I go back to school and I can't do it? What if the accident affected my...brain somehow? What if....?"

"Olivia..." Gibbs spoke up. "...you life changed the day you had the accident. You have missed a lot of school." Gibbs paused. "It's going to take you longer to graduate."

"And the PT said you may have to use a wheelchair for a little while." Tony said. "But that is just because the campus is so big. You can't walk all that distance, yet. But you will be able to. It'll happen, Liv."

"I just.... What if I can't walk...right again?" Olivia explained.

Tony said down beside his daughter on the bed and put his arm around her. "It'll happen. The PT has given you all the tools you need to succeed. You have me and Gibbs to help you out too, if you need us. You can't help but make a full recovery."

Olivia looked at Tony. "You really believe that?"

Tony nodded.

"Okay, " Olivia stood slowly, with Tony's help. They moved towards the door. Gibbs followed behind them with the wheelchair.

Olivia had only taken about 100 steps before she needed to sit. Gibbs and Tony stood by her leaning against the wall. They waited for her to rest.

"I got further yesterday." Olivia stated.

Tony looked at the distance. He had counted the steps also. "Yes, you did. But we aren't done yet."

"But...." Olivia started to object.

"It doesn't matter how many steps you take before you rest." Gibbs stated. "The important thing is that you are doing the walking."

Olivia seemed to be considering Gibbs' words. But she didn't speak.

"Okay," Tony said, judging the Olivia had had enough time to rest. "Let's go." He helped his daughter to her feet. They went off again.

Olivia returned to her room a few moments later. She had pushed herself just a little, and as a result, she was tired and a little sore.

Tony helped his daughter back into bed and then took a seat by the bed. Gibbs sat down on the opposite side.

"You know." Olivia said, addressing them both. "I can stay by myself. I'll be okay. I'm sure you have better things to do with your weekends."

"I choose to be here, Olivia." Gibbs spoke up. "I really love spending time with you. I WANT to be here."

Tony nodded as he took his daughter's hand. "I want to help you get better." Tony paused. "I'm not afraid of the ugly stuff, the pain, all that. That's what a dad does, sticks by his daughter."

Olivia was discharged from the hospital two weeks later. She went to Jacob and Sallie's house to stay. She was put in a downstairs bedroom. The guest room, since she was not at all able to travel up and down stairs. She still continued to improve. She did just exactly what her doctors ordered.

Tony practically lived at the Martin's house for two months. He had taken the time off from work and was there with Olivia almost 24/7. He helped her with her therapy. He made sure she took her medicine. The other members of Team Gibbs came and visited as often as they could. Gibbs also became a fixture in the Martin house. Though not as much as Tony. He also helped with Olivia's PT and medicine.

It was not long before Olivia was on her way back to Ohio State and college life.

TBC
Chapter End Notes:
AN: Sorry for the slow update. My muse had kind of left me again on this story. I have sped some things up and slowed others down. But, I think it serves the story well.
I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!!
ENJOY!--J