- Text Size +
Chapter 34

"Four years ago…today." Olivia said as she slipped her arm around Tony's waist. She leaned against Tony as they walked across the lawn at Ohio State. The car injury of a few years ago aside, she was just never good on heels. They were headed towards the stage where the commencement ceremonies were to be held. In a matter of hours Olivia Marie DiNozzo-Martin would be an Ohio State grad.

Tony nodded. "Yep, who would have thought 4 years ago I would have met my baby girl, my daughter."

"Where is everybody?" Olivia asked. She was looking around at the few people who had already taken seats.

"They are all coming in this afternoon." Tony replied. "Gibbs said they got a flight that would give them all a little time to go to their hotel rooms and freshen up before they had to be here."

Olivia hugged Tony tighter. "I'm so glad they could all make it." She laid her head on her father's chest as she hugged him. She had been so grateful to be so accepted, first by him, then by his friends at NCIS. She had come to think of them all very fondly. And she had loved the fact that, while she had been in the hospital, at the time of her car wreck. They had dropped everything to come to be with Tony and to see her.

"I'm scared." Olivia stated.

"Of what?" Tony asked. "The hard part, the hard work is over. You took and passed all the tests."

Olivia shook her head. She was nervous about walking across the stage at graduation. But that was not about the degree itself. It was more about tripping over her gown and falling on her face. But she was even more nervous about Harvard.

"I showed you the letter, right?" Olivia asked as they reached the chairs set up on the lawn and they both took a seat.

Tony nodded. "Only about 50 times." He said, smiling.

"What?"

"I am the proud father of a future Harvard grad." Tony said.

"I have to show it to…." Olivia stopped then shook her head. "But they won't want to see it. I know you've already told them."

Tony nodded. "I did. As soon as you told me you got accepted. Everybody at NCIS knew about it."

Olivia laughed.

"But you should show it to them. None of them have actually seen an 'honest-to-goodness' Harvard acceptance letter." Tony replied.

Olivia seemed lost in thought for just a second. "I am doing the right thing here?" She looked at Tony. "I mean, I struggled a little with pre-law. But, law school…at Harvard." Olivia shook her head.

"Anything worth doing is worth struggling for…" Tony said. " and you would make a great lawyer. I even asked Director Vance to put in a word with JAG." Tony paused. "Hey, if Elle Woods could do it…." Tony said smiling.

Olivia just looked at Tony. "Really…a Legally Blonde reference? That's what you're going with here?" She couldn't help but smile.

"Hey, whatever works." Tony said as he saw some of the tension and anxiety start to melt away. "Let's go get you graduated."

NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS

Parking anywhere within miles of the school was horrible. Both Abby and Ziva were glad they had brought along comfortable shoes to walk in. They had both changed and stashed their heels in their oversized purses. Luckily for the rest of Team Gibbs the hotel offered shuttle service. They were dropped off within feet of the graduation site. Tony had been sitting and waiting. He had reserved a whole row of seats and they were all quickly seated.

"Where is she?" Ziva asked, camera ready as she leaned over and whispered in Tony's ear. They had just started announcing the 'D's and Ziva didn't want to miss her.

"She's one…two…three…fourth one back." Tony whispered back.

Ziva nodded. She got her shots: Olivia standing in line, her accepting her degree, and then one as she exited the stage.

NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS

Gibbs was the first to see Olivia after the crowd had thinned out. He led the others over to where she was standing with Jacob, Sallie and her brother and sister.

"Grampy." Olivia said as she hugged Gibbs.

"Congratulations, Olivia." Gibbs said as he hugged his granddaughter back.

The rest of Team Gibbs hugged Olivia and offered their congratulations. Then it was Tony's turn.

Tony pulled Olivia into a tight hug. "I love you, Baby Girl. And I am so proud of you." Tony kissed her on the cheek.

"I'm ready for Harvard?" Olivia asked, a little hesitant.

"No, Baby. The question is…is Harvard ready for you?" Tony replied.

TBC

END NOTE: I know. I know. That last line was corny as hell, but it so fit and it really echoes Tony's sentiment.