- Text Size +
Chapter 37

Olivia and Tony changed for the warm weather. Probably into what could be called American tourist attire and decided to explore the island. Olivia had brought along her camera and stood at the water’s edge snapping pictures. She stood for just a moment, staring, seemingly mesmerized by the blue clearness of the water. She had never known water so blue or so clear existed. She fought the urge to just kick off her sandals and jump in. She and Tony then took a short walk to the Piazza Umberto I. Something struck Olivia as strange for just a moment. Then she realized what it was. The absence litter on the ground, and she saw few trash receptacles. It seemed like, in the states, no matter where you went you saw a trash can. And the absence made the area look much more beautiful. It was a huge park like open area. There was no grass, just what looked like cement block pavers. And every few feet there was planted a tree. It looked like it was just growing up out of the concrete. The tree looked almost like palm trees, except the leaves were different. And between each tree, taking advantage of the shade, was a park bench. Several of the benches were occupied, but Tony and Olivia headed to one that was not. They just sat in silence looking out at the sea.

Almost an hour passed before either spoke.

“Well, what do you say we go shopping for that bathing suit and then get something to eat?” Tony said. “Then we can go back to the house and watch the sunset.”

Olivia nodded. Tony then led the way into the adjacent commercial district. Here Olivia could buy her bathing suit and they could eat some authentic Italian food.

Olivia perused the racks for almost an hour, picking up suit after suit and then rejecting them. She finally decided on a ‘modest’ emerald-green bikini.

Tony cringed slightly. He picked up a one-piece of same color. “I kinda like this one.”

Olivia looked at him in horror. “Dad, this is NOT the 1950’s and I’m not 40.” Olivia explained. “I want a nice tan.”

“That’s why God invented tanning booths.” Tony countered.

“Don’t you want me to meet a nice Italian boy and get married?” Olivia asked sweetly.

“I want you to wait until you turn 30 to date. If you don’t find anyone then, you can be like my neighbor and adopt 15 cats.”

“What?” Olivia asked, her tone deadly serious. “The one you said smells like kitty litter? No thank you.”

“She is a really nice lady...” Tony said, wrinkling his nose. “…aside from the smell. She performs cat nuptials. ‘Cat Nups’ she calls them.” Tony began to ramble. “They’re really cute. Little bridal gowns and tuxes…” Tony paused. “…though I can’t imagine the cats like it too much.” Tony looked at Olivia as she displayed her annoyed look. “Never gave much thought to dressing a cat…claws and all. I guess though…if it were declawed…. What?” Tony paused again. “The pictures are adorable.”

“I’m done here, Dad.” Olivia said as she took her bag from the cashier.

“The ‘annoyed’ look doesn’t faze me, Baby Girl.” Tony explained. “I get it at work all the time.”

They then exited the store and continued along the street. Tony had had a favorite restaurant as a child. He did not remember the name. But he thought he would know it when he saw it. But, unfortunately, the business not longer seemed to be open. Tony did not see any store fronts which reminded him of those he had seen in his childhood. They eventually settled on a restaurant, though, from the half dozen or so located on the street. The food was remarkable. And still, for Tony, it brought back some great memories. Tony then found a small market. He had hoped to find somewhere where he could buy the staples and some fresh fruits and veggies for their empty cabinets and refrigerator.

Tony and Olivia returned to the house a few hours later, loaded down with bags of groceries, just as the sun was going down. Tony hurriedly put the perishable items away.

“Olivia, hurry! We want to get down to the beach.” Tony called out to her after he saw her duck into her room.

“Coming.” Olivia called back as she came back out. “I was going to help with that.” She said seeing Tony had put a lot of the items away.

“Later…” Tony said as he left the nonperishable items on the counter and hurried towards the doors. “…you don’t want to miss this.”

Tony and Olivia went out to the beach. Olivia spread her towel out on the pink sand and they both sat. Each watched mesmerized by the spectacle. The colors were vibrant and shimmering and it was amazing to watch as the sun seemed to sink under the water.

It was several moments before Olivia spoke. “Does the sun set like that back in the states?”

Tony smiled and nodded. “I’m sure it does. We are just too busy to notice.”

Olivia smiled and nodded as she leaned her head on her dad’s shoulder.

“So…how was your first day in Italy?”

Olivia looked up at him. “Amazing.”

Tony smiled. “Well, Kid. Let’s get back inside. We have emails to answer and pictures to post.”

Olivia had taken what seemed like 100 pictures. She had started when she found out the news, taking a group photo with Team Gibbs. She had ended at the very end of her first day, at sunset.

Abby had left several short emails. Tony could tell she was missing him and emailing him as things came to her mind. She had told him she had missed him bringing her a Caf Pow in one email. In another she had told him she didn’t know how she was going to get along without his hugs for a whole month. A thing she had nicknamed her “TonyLove.” She told him Gibbs was growling at Tim and Ziva because he and Tim had not found a good groove in their working relationship. And Ziva was driving everyone crazy because they were tired of correcting her idioms. Abby said no one realized how many times a day Ziva said things incorrectly. She added a PS about the pictures. She loved them all and wanted more ASAP.

Tony and Olivia each read the emails.

“It’s only been three days.” Tony said, shaking his head.

“Sounds like Grampy might spontaneously combust.”

Tony grinned. Personally, he would pay to see that. In his mind, he pictured a cartoon Gibbs with steam coming out of his ears. He then pictured Gibbs’ head popping off and flying into space just before his body burst into flame. Tony chuckled.

Tony replied:
We’re great. It’s only been three days, Abby. Things can’t be that bad, you’re exaggerating to get me home early. Have Tim bring you your extra Caf Pow. I’m sure you have something good you can bribe him with from your dating days. I hope this helps with the hugs. (Tony sent Abby an attachment of a teddy bear hugging a Valentines heart.) Gibbs just needs to give Tim a little time. And Gibbs needs to learn some patience. (But don’t tell him I said that.) I can just FEEL the cyber head slap. ;) Ziva drove me crazy too with that stuff. I just didn’t let it show. Besides, I think half the time she does it on purpose. Stay well my Goth girl. Big D

Tony ended his message and then hit Send.

Olivia was reading over Tony’s shoulder. “Tim and Abby? Really?”

Tony nodded. “Yep, didn’t last long though.”

“Probably a good thing…” Olivia paused. “…talk about an odd couple.”

Tony smiled. “The Odd Couple or Bosom Buddies.”

“More Bosom Buddies…” Olivia said after thinking a moment. “…Felix and Oscar were just polar opposites in personality. But Hildegard and Buffy, those were some truly ugly women, too strange to be true.”

Tony just smiled and nodded.

“So, you are the reason I kick everybody’s butt at TV Trivial Pursuit.”

Tony nodded again.

“Mom always said you used to soak up that information like a sponge.” Olivia stated. “But we never talk about it. We need to have a trivia face off when we get back home.”

“You’re on.” Tony stated. “Sounds like fun.”

TBC
Chapter End Notes:
AN: More thanks to AlexDN for your information which I have also included in this chapter. I have learned lots and have found some amazingly beautiful pictures. jackie