- Text Size +
Chapter 39

Mom and Dad,

DaddyT and I are having a wonderful time in Italy. I think I will be the only girl in law school with honest to goodness Italian shoes and suits. I bought a lot of thing with 'court' in mind. I just hope they will still fit me when I get ready for them. (Let's face it, I can't get much taller. So, there's only one way to go.) Speaking of which, the food HAS been amazing. Every place we go I find new dishes to fall in love with. I have been keeping in shape though. I go running with dad almost every morning. I think I like it. It could be the scenery thought, not everybody gets to traverse the streets of Italy on their morning jog.

It's been great being with Tony all this time. I am really getting to know him. I really see why the people he works with care so much for him. He's everything they have said he was. I have never met a kinder, gentler soul. I can see why he is so suited to his job of civil service. He has such a kind heart.

I am so glad I took the chance, all those years ago, to meet him. I have not regretted it in the least. I see where I got so much of my personality, my quirks. It makes me feel like a whole, complete, person having him in my life.

We actually went to visit some of Dad's cousins in northern Italy, near Milan. It was so nice to meet them. They actually remembered Dad from their childhood. (It has actually been that long since Dad has seen them.) They kept referring to him as their American Cousin. We stayed with them, in their home, for about a week. It was such a big difference from what I'm used to. The house they were living in was old and the appliances were actually pretty old too. They were definitely older than what we have in our cabin we rented. Anyway, it was nice, the place had a worn, very neat and clean, but 'lived in' look. It was, like I said, just so different. We had a great time. They took both Dad and I sightseeing. There were things Dad hadn't remembered that he got reacquainted with. I hated to leave when the week was over. Dad said we would go back and visit for a day or two before we left for good. I am really looking forward to it.

It was just so, incredible for Dad's coworkers and boss to pay for this trip for me. Dad was so grateful to them. I know I will be eternally grateful to them, for two reasons. It gave me time with Dad, which I needed. And it gave me a chance to find out about and appreciate my heritage. It's one thing to read about a country, to study it. I eat pizza and pasta and think I understand what it means to be an Italian. But to be in Italy, it's just so much more than the food. It's shopping in Milan, its visiting cousins; its visiting monuments and memorials, understanding the history. It's the whole experience. I will never forget this trip, this experience, and I plan on returning.

I love you and miss you,

Olivia

NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS

Hey Everybody,

I know dad sent you letters about a week ago. Now it's my turn. There is no way to express to you, no words, to thank you for this trip. It has been incredible for me and for dad. He's just so…happy. He is really enjoying himself. He said he had wanted to return to Italy for so long. I think it was the fulfillment of a big dream of his.

It was incredible to see the Ancient Coliseum and the Leaning Tower of Pisa, especially. There were so many others, I know dad sent the photos. It has been such an incredible trip, for the both of us. I have really gotten to know him, as a person. I have gotten to see what it is you all see in him. I can see why you care so deeply for him. I can see why you consider him to be such a good friend.

And I can never tell you how lucky and blessed I feel to have you all in my life. I have a wonderful extended family whom I have come to love very much.

Much love and my eternal thanks,

Olivia

NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS

Hi Grampy.

I had to drop you a special note, just between us. I miss you a lot. I never thought that my life could be changed so much in 5 years. I gained a dad, a grandpa and a bunch of aunts and uncles. I never knew I could be so lucky or so privileged to have such a unique, extended family. But that is what they all have become to me, but none more than you and Dad.

I thought I knew what it would be like to have another father. I already have such a great one with Jacob. But I never knew it would come with such immediate total acceptance. I never knew it would mean so much. And I never knew having another, wonderful, grandfather would be so great.

I cannot tell you the times that I have thought about you over the years. I am so glad Dad works for you. I am so glad he has you looking out for him. I am so glad he is looking out for you, too. That was a huge concern of mine when I first met him. I knew he had a dangerous job. It scared me that I might lose him before I even got to know him. But that fear was lessened greatly after I met you.

I know you think of Dad as your son. I know you love him, and I am so grateful for that. After meeting Senior…well, I am very, very grateful for that.

Your granddaughter,

Olivia

TBC