- Text Size +
Chapter 41

“What?” Gibbs said, as he looked over at Tony. There were both on a plane to Massachusetts, heading to Harvard University.

Tony turned his head from the window and looked at Gibbs.

“What’s going on in that head of yours?” Gibbs asked. Tony had been very quiet pretty much the whole trip.

“Just…4 more years and she’ll be an honest-to-goodness adult, a full-fledged member of the working class.” Tony paused. “It’s not that far away.”

“And that makes you…old.” Gibb surmised.

“Yeah.” Tony said. “I’ll be the father of a career woman. A few years ago I could not imagine me as a father at all, and now….”

“Kids grow up. You can’t stop it. And it happens fast, whether you’re there for it all or if you step into their lives at some point.” Gibbs said speaking from experience. “One minute their babies, the next their walking, then….”

Tony nodded. “I get it. It just doesn’t make it any easier.”

“You’ve been a great dad, Tony.” Gibbs stated.

“You think so?” Tony asked.

Gibbs nodded.

“You’re just ….” Tony started.

Gibbs shook his head. “If you don’t believe me, ask Olivia. Ask Jacob or Sally.”

“Olivia thinks I’m a good dad?” Tony asked.

“She thinks you’re an amazing dad.” Gibbs confirmed.

Tony shook his head.

“Who do you think she talks about when she calls me? She’s bragging on DaddyT.”

“I tried.”

Gibbs nodded. “That’s all you can do. You make mistakes with your kids growing up. Even the great parents do. But you learn. You figure it out as you go along. It’s a gamble. What works one kid may not work for another. But you do what you can. You teach them what you know. But most importantly you love them. You allow them to be whoever their going to be, and you accept that person for who she is.”

Tony nodded. He had found since he had become a dad, Gibbs had been more talkative. He had been insightful even. And while neither of those words would be used by anyone else to describe Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Tony found them accurate. And he welcomed Gibbs advice and perspective.

NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS

“I’m so glad you’re here.” Olivia said when she saw Tony and Gibbs waiting on her in front of her dorm. She hugged them both. “I saw so afraid the moving van would be late or would get lost. “Looks like everything’s here.” Olivia said as the moving men opened the back and started to unload her belongings.

“I thought we were here to serve as muscle.” Tony said, flexing his bicep.

Olivia smiled and laughed. She shook her head. “I’ve got that taken care of, as you can see. I just wanted to see you. Beside Mom and DaddyJ are upstairs. Mom insisted on decorating my room and DaddyJ volunteered to be her muscle so I could spend a little time with you.” She said to both Tony and Gibbs. “I’m going to be so busy. I already have things to do, class assignments, reading. I…I don’t know when I’ll get to come home. I don’t know when I’ll get to video chat. I wanted to take you out to dinner. Harvard is so much more…intense than I ever thought it would be.”

“It is intense.” Tony agreed. “Just make sure you find time to do other things. Join a sorority, something else. You can’t think about law all the time.”

Olivia nodded. “I know. I have looked into some things. I saw some clubs I might be interested in joining.”

“Good.” Tony replied. “And I will understand if I don’t hear from you. I’ll take a few words in an email or a picture.”

“And Tony will share whatever he gets with me.” Gibbs replied. “So, where are you taking us?”

“There is an excellent Chinese restaurant on campus. Everybody eats there. I thought we could try it.” Olivia said, putting her arms around both Tony’s and Gibbs’ waist and led them to the restaurant.

NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS

“Well, Baby Girl, that was excellent.” Tony said as he laid his napkin on the table. He had been impressed by the food and the restaurant itself. “I don’t remember linen napkins and tablecloths from my time here.”

Olivia smiled. “Maybe you were just eating in wrong places.”

Gibbs also had been surprised by the elegance, and he, too, had loved the food. “Thank you, Olivia. But, this…this is way too much. Let me pay for part.” Gibbs said, getting out his wallet.

Olivia shook her head. “I have food vouchers, and my dorm has a kitchen. Mom and DaddyJ brought me a fridge and packed it with food. I’ll be fine. I just wanted to spend some quality time with the two of you before the craziness ensues. Like I said, I’m not sure when I’ll get to see or talk to you again.”

The three of them stood, Tony left a tip, and they all left the restaurant.

“I’ll be talking to Sallie and Jacob on a regular basis. They’ll keep me informed, and I’ll do the same.” Tony said. “You just worry about doing well.”

Gibbs nodded. “Make us proud.”

“Absolutely.” Olivia stated. “Let’s go back to the dorm. I want to show you my room. Tomorrow we’ll go for a tour of the campus and then we can take a tour of Cambridge, if you want.” Olivia said, looking at the both of them.

“Sounds good…” Tony stated. “…but what about Jacob and Sallie?”

“Mom has to get back to school, classes and all.” Olivia said. “DaddyJ has to get back to the restaurant. Plus, they have already been here for a couple days.”

They walked in silence for a few moments, and then Olivia stopped. She looked up at Tony. “Am I ready for this?”

Tony nodded and smiled. “You’re gonna be the best damned lawyer this school’s ever seen.”

Olivia ducked her head and smiled. “You have to say that.”

Tony put his hand under her chin. He brought her face up so that he could look her in the eye. “No. I said it because I believe it. And I said it because I know you can do it.”

“I love you, Dad.” Olivia said, giving Tony a huge hug.

Tony hugged her back. “I love you too, Baby Girl.”


TBC