- Text Size +
Chapter 42

AN: Sorry for the month between updates. I will try to do better next time. I also need to give you a ‘tissue warning.’ There could be tears with this one, I’m not sure. Either tears or tooth decay, maybe both. I’ll let you decide. I want to thank you all, so much, for your continued support of me and this story. Thank you, also, for your alerts and comments. Jackie

Olivia looked around her room. She had everything, she thought. She was one of the last to leave her dorm for the holiday. Her best friend, and neighbor, had left yesterday, right after her last exam. She was heading home to Arizona.

Olivia had done well her first semester. And that was partly because of her next door neighbor. It was nice to have a fellow law student so close. She didn’t think the college intentionally arranged their housing like that, but she was grateful things had worked out between her and Angela. She had a study partner pretty much anytime she wanted one. Angela had also turned out to be a really good friend.

Olivia had not told anyone when she would be coming home for the Christmas holiday. She had wanted to surprise them all. She usually went home to Jacob and Sallie first. But this time she thought she would see her DaddyT first. She had her hands loaded down with presents when she stepped off the elevator on the third floor of the NCIS building.

McGee was the first to see her. A big grin spread across his face. “We have a visitor.”

The rest of the team looked up to see Olivia approach. “Baby Girl!” Tony jumped up from his chair. He grabbed her bags to help relieve her of her load. He then took her rolling luggage and parked it beside his desk. “Olivia, you should have called I would have been glad to come and get you.” Tony enveloped his daughter in a huge hug.

Olivia nodded. “I know. I just wanted to surprise you. I didn’t want you to know when I was coming.” She hugged the rest of the team too.

“Well, you got me.” Tony admitted. “How were exams, your grades?”

“How long are you staying?” Gibbs asked, very surprised and happy to see his granddaughter.

“My grades are great, A’s and B’s, mostly B’s. I would like to stay at least a week.” Olivia stated. “But it depends.” Olivia said smiling. “Are you willing to take in a stray?”

Tony put his arms around his daughter again. “You are not a stray. And I’ve already told you, you could come and live with me if you wanted.”

“I have plenty of room.” Gibbs offered. “You could stay with me as long as you want. Tony already practically lives there anyway.”

Olivia nodded. She thanked them both.

Tony took Olivia around to all the departments. Olivia had gifts for a few of the people she had met at Tony’s work. She had even gotten something for Director Vance’s kids. She had met them once and had really, really liked both children very much.

Their last stops were, of course, Abby and Ducky. Abby let out a squeal when she saw Olivia. She gave her a huge hug and then bombarded her with questions about her grades and her holiday plans. Olivia answered all Abby’s questions. Olivia then gave her her Christmas present. It was a charm bracelet with tiny skulls and crossbones between black and silver beads. Abby again squealed her delight and gave Olivia another hug.

Ducky was the last visit of the day. He was equally happy to see Olivia. Ducky gave his adopted niece a huge hug. He also asked about her classes and about how long she would be in town.


NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS NICS


Olivia surveyed the table one more time. “Dad, Grampy, Hurry! They’ll all be here soon.” She said counting the place settings again to make sure they had enough.

Olivia had moved in with Gibbs for the time she would be in town. Tony moved in when she did. He wanted to spend as much time as possible with Olivia during her time in town over the break. She was now fussing over the table sitting she had set for the Christmas party she had talked Gibbs into hosting.

“It looks amazing, Baby…” Tony said as he brought in a couple dishes of steaming hot food. He sat them both down and kissed his daughter on the head. “…just amazing.”

Gibbs came up from downstairs. He figured the best thing he could do while Tony and Olivia cooked was to get out of the way, so he went down to the basement. But now the wonderful smells from his kitchen were drawing him up.

“Smells really good, Olivia.” Gibbs commented. “The table looks….” Gibbs shook his head. It looked like it belonged on the front of a magazine. Gibbs kissed her cheek. “I’ll help Tony with the food.”

Olivia nodded and they got all the food on the table just as the first quests arrived. Abby and Tim arrived together. They were each bearing gifts, as it was decided the gift exchange would happen, this year, at Gibbs’ house. Ducky arrived next, then Ziva came in. She had a couple large boxes she was struggling with. Tony and Tim helped her out. They put her gifts, along with everyone else’s under Gibbs’ large tree. Jimmy arrived a few moments later. He had just left his mom’s house and had raced against time and traffic to make it on time.

Olivia had made sure, ever since she had come into Gibbs’ life a few years ago, that Gibbs had live, decorated, tree in his living room every year. That first year she had bought him miniature woodworking tool ornaments. The next year she had brought him silver bells because, well…she loved the song Silver Bells and she loved the sound of a bell ringing at Christmas. One year she had found tiny crime scene-type things. She assumed to promote one of the three CSI series that were on TV, she wasn’t sure. But she liked the tiny crime scene tape and the tiny rubber gloves. There had even been a tiny labeled evidence bag with tiny evidence in it. She had really liked the set and had gotten it for Gibbs’ tree. This year was really special and a lot more personal. She knew he would love what she had gotten him.

Tony smiled at his daughter as they watched everybody dig in and enjoy the meal. It was a traditional Italian meal. Tony and Olivia had made a variety of different dishes. Everyone was sure to get enough to eat. And they got the opportunity to sample dishes they may have never eaten before.

Everybody moved into the living room after the meal. Gibbs had built a fire in the fireplace. Not so much for warmth, they were having a relatively mild winter this year, but to add to the ‘Christmas’ feel. It added a nice cozinessto the evening. Everyone just sat and sipped their ‘spiced’ eggnog for a few moments. They were enjoying the moment and enjoying each other’s company.

Tony finally broke the silence. “Well, it’s about that time.” He said putting on a Santa hat. “I think our special guest should open the first present.”

Tony’s gift was first. He handed it to Olivia. “Thank you, Daddy.” Olivia said as she ripped the paper. Olivia pulled out the leather bounded brief case with the initials ODM embossed on it. She beamed. “Daddy, I love it.” She admired the case.

“I know you can’t use it yet. But soon….” Tony replied.

Olivia nodded. “It’s great.”

Gibbs present was next. He, Ducky, Tim, and Jimmy had decided to pool their money. They had gotten her gift cards to several restaurants and theaters around the university. They also put some money into her college account to help pay for her books for the next semester.

Olivia was overwhelmed by their generosity. She thanks them all, profusely, for their gifts.

Abby found her gift quite by accident. She looked around for things that had to do with Italy. She knew how much Olivia had truly enjoyed her trip and wanted to give her something that would be a good reminder. Abby had found an Italian cookbook. She then found it, a charm bracelet. Its charms were tourist attractions in Italy. Abby immediately brought it. She fingered the charms on the bracelet that Olivia had bought her as Olivia opened her gift.

Olivia grinned. “Were we on the same wave length or what?”

Abby nodded. “I hope you love yours as much as I do mine.”

Olivia nodded. “I’m afraid to wear it. I don’t want to lose any of the charms.”

Tony took one of the large boxes. He shook it a little before handing it over. But it was very light, and it didn’t rattle. Tony didn’t know what to think.

“Thank you, Ziva.” Olivia said, reading the tag, just before she opened the box. She pulled out a huge stuffed black teddy bear wearing a red ribbon. Olivia looked at Ziva, a little puzzled by the gift.

Ziva looked at her partner. She noticed the tears in his eyes before she spoke. “Tony told me the one thing he really missed with you was getting to buy you a teddy bear.” She sneaked another look at him before she continued. “He said every little girl should get a teddy bear from their daddy. But he thought now, you were too old for teddy bears, and he was too embarrassed to give you one.” Ziva paused. “He pointed this particular one out to me one day when we were downtown working. I decided to go back and get it. It is really from Tony. He picked it out. I just delivered it.”

Olivia hugged the bear. “Thank you, Ziva.” She managed. She then turned to Tony. “I will never get too old for a teddy bear from my daddy.”

Tony looked at his daughter, smiled and wiped his eyes. He made a mental note to find a special ‘thank you’ gift for Ziva. He smiled at his partner and mouthed ‘thank you.’

Ziva nodded.

All the rest of the presents were quickly opened. But Olivia still had a few surprises. She had already given everybody a present. But she had some more special presents she had wanted to give to them here, at their special diner. She had managed to take individual picture with every member of the team. She had asked Tony to take the pictures so that they were not aware their pictures were being taken. She had then printed the pictures and framed them. She now gave them all their individual pictures. The team was, indeed, surprised by the pictures. They truly had no idea. They were all pleasantly surprised to have mementos of those special moments.

Olivia spent the rest of her time at Tony’s at the Naval Yard. Tony had arranged for her to visit the JAG and to sit in on some of their cases. She had been allowed to watch their process. The time flew by and soon, it was time to leave for Baltimore.

“So…what about the J-A-G?” Tony asked her the day of her departure.

“It’s…interesting. I would love to come back, maybe over the summer, and spend a little more time. Oh…and dad…there’s something I forgot to tell you.” Olivia said, hesitatingly.

“What is that?” Tony asked.

“There’s this boy…He’s my age…his name’s Kevin. He’s….”

“Boy? There is no boy…” Tony started. “There is no boy. You are not allowed to date until you’re 30. We discussed this.”

Olivia looked at him. “No, you discussed. I listened.” Olivia paused when the announcement came on announcing her bus. “I’ve gotta go.”

“How can you forget to tell me about a person, a whole, living, breathing person?” Tony asked.

“Dad, I gotta go.” Olivia hugged Tony and started off towards her bus. “I love you, Dad.”

“I love you too, Baby Girl.” Tony replied. “And there is no boy, remember…no dating till you’re 30.”

“You sound like DaddyJ.”

“He’s a smart man.” Tony replied. “And I can drive you.”

“I’m a grown woman. You both need to let me go.” Olivia stated. “I will be fine on the bus, and it’s too far for you to drive.” She hugged him again, tighly.

“When do I have to…? No…when will I get to meet this young man?”

“Over the summer.”

“What’s his last name?”

“You are not going to run a background check on him. I’m not going to tell you.” Olivia stated.

“Is he a law student?

“I’m not telling.” Olivia replied.

“Does he live in your dorm?” Tony said, at this moment he really, really hated the idea of co-ed dorms. “Does he live on campus?”

Olivia shook her head.

“What type of car does he drive?

“You’re not getting anything out of me.” Olivia stated.

“I just want to find out about the young man my daughter is dating.” Tony said sincerely.

“Than do like most people would do, talk to him.”

“In 5 months?” Tony asked.

“In 5 months.”

“I can’t wait 5 months.”

“You’re gonna have to.” Olivia kissed him on the cheek and then turned to leave.

“I’m liking this ‘age 30 thing’ better and better. I just want you to know.” Tony said to her retreating back.


TBC