- Text Size +
Chapter 48


AN: First of all, this is not a crossover chapter/story, even though Olivia and Tony are going to New York City. There are those of you who will immediately understand what I am talking about here. For the rest of you, don’t worry, it’s not important and won’t affect the story.



“Is she going to like it?” Tony said. He had no idea what to do for a Christmas present for Olivia and now she was due to arrive at NCIS any minute.

“She will love it, Tony. I would love it. It is a great present.” Ziva replied. Thinking his insecurity was annoying and sweet at the same time.

“Who wouldn’t love a trip to The Big Apple?” Tim chimed in.

Gibbs and Ziva nodded.

“I guess you’re right.” Tony sighed. “It’s just this is her first break home from Harvard Law. I just wanted to do something very, very special for her.”

“This is beyond special, Tony.” Abby replied.

“I concur, Dear Boy.” Ducky replied.

“Awesome gift, Tony.” Jimmy said, echoing the sentiment.

They had all come up to see Olivia and to see her reaction to Tony’s gift.

“It’s not better than Italy.” Tony replied.

“It doesn’t matter where you go, just spend some time with her.” Gibbs said.

“And do not spend all your time in the hotel room ordering off the room service menu.” Ziva added.

Tony smiled and blushed slightly. “You guys know me too well.”

The elevator bell dinged. The all looked in that direction to see who was arriving on their floor. Olivia stepped off, seconds later.

Tony greeted his daughter with a huge hug, which she returned. “It just seems like it’s been so long since you and Grampy were out to see me.”

Tony nodded and hugged her again.

Olivia hugged and spoke to them all. Then she got to her Grampy. She stood, hugging him for a long time. “I missed you so much.”

“I missed you too.” Gibbs replied.

Abby looked at Olivia. “Please don’t tell me you’ve gotten even taller.”

Olivia shook her head and smiled. “It’s the heels.” She said, pointing to her feet. “I used to hate wearing them until I realize that some of the lawyers were intimidated by my height.” She grinned. “I wear them all the time now.”

“Lawyers…?” Jimmy asked. Wasn’t it a little early for internships? He thought.

Olivia looked at him and smiled. “I know what you’re thinking. But it was more like a field trip I did for extra credit. We got to follow an attorney of our choosing from one of the law offices in the city. I was taller than almost everybody there. It’s amazing how intimidating a little height can be for some people.”

“Well Baby, you’re not exactly dressed for what I had in mind.” Tony admitted taking in her business attire.

Olivia nodded. “Today was our last day of mock court for the semester. Then I had to wait for a professor to post her grades. I just…I got started a lot later then I had planned. Then I had to rush or I would have missed my flight.”

“Kevin did not come with you?” Ziva asked, just realizing that he was not there.

Olivia shook her head. “He’s with his family in Kentucky. We’re going to see each other for a few days before classes begin again.”

Olivia looked at her dad, her green eyes shining. “What do you have in mind that I am not appropriately dressed for?” She asked eagerly.

Tony just smiled.

“What is it?” Olivia asked. “Don’t I get a hint?”

Tony still didn’t speak.

“Do you all know?” Olivia asked them all.

None spoke, but they were all smiling.

“Fine.” Olivia said, pouting just a little. “But this had better be good.”

“You’re gonna love it.” Abby replied.

“Dad! Olivia pleaded, the suspense was killing her.

“Just to and get changed.” Tony said. “We have somewhere we need to be.”

“So…you’re not going to tell me?” Olivia asked.

“Go and get changed. We still have a lot to do.” Tony said.

Olivia looked at him for a moment before she went off to the bathroom.

Tony waited until she was out of earshot before he spoke again. “We’ll be gone for about a week. Boss, thanks for taking care of the presents Olivia brought. Olivia wants to have Christmas with you guys at Gibb’s house when we get back.”

They all nodded.

“We’re gonna have to head for the airport as soon as we leave here. It’ll take an hour to get through security.” Tony reasoned.

“When are you going to tell her where you’re going?” Tim asked.

“We were all kind of hoping you would tell her here.” Abby said, hoping that that revelation would not spoil his plans.

Tony nodded. He had already planned on telling her in the office. He knew that they all wanted to see her reaction.

Olivia came back to the bullpen dressed in jeans, t-shirt and tennis shoes. “You’re still not going to tell me anything?” She asked Tony.

Tony handed her an envelope.

Olivia looked at him for a moment, before she opened the envelope. She looked at the contents then looked at him again.

“New York?!” Olivia looked at Tony. “We’re going to New York! Really?”

Olivia had always wanted to visit the city. At least once in her life, now she was going to get the chance. She threw herself at her father, hugging him tightly.

“Thank you, guys.” Olivia said, thanking everybody.

“Actually Olivia, this was all your dad.” Gibbs revealed.

“Thank you, so much.” Olivia said, hugging her dad again.

“We’ll be gone for a week. But we’ve got to go the airport, right now.” Tony said, grabbing their bags. “Or we aren’t going to make our flight.”



NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS



Tony and Olivia’s plane touched down a few hours later. Tony and Olivia hailed a cab and headed to the hotel almost immediately. Tony had already made reservations for two adjoining rooms in a nice Manhattan hotel.

“Very nice, Dad.” Olivia stated as she opened the door and walked into her father’s room through the connecting door.

“You like?” Tony said, throwing his suitcase onto one of the queen-sized beds in the room.

“Awesome.” Olivia said, opening the curtains and taking in the view. “Love the view.”

Tony joined her at the window. “Well, there’ll be nothing to see tonight. What do you say we take advantage of room service?”

Olivia nodded. She lay down on one of the beds in Tony’s room. She grabbed the menu off the bedside table and opened it up. “…sounds good.”

Tony and Olivia enjoyed a nice meal then they retired early. They planned on getting up early to begin their exploration of New York City.

They hit all the standard tourist sites: the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, the various museums, and Central Park. They even took in a Broadway show. They then got to the places Tony knew, the places from his childhood that he remembered. They find some of the best hole-in-the-all eateries. They also found some other smaller, more interesting places most tourists don’t bother with. And, of course, for Olivia, a trip to NYC HAD to include a shopping trip. She spent almost one who day dragging Tony from store to store. He didn’t mind though. He gladly served as her coat rack and her ‘fashion critic’ as she tried on clothes.

The week passed quickly and before long they were on the plane back to Washington, D.C. Tony and Olivia loaded their bags into Tony’s car. He had taken the chance and left it at the airport. They got in and headed to Gibbs’ house.

“So…” Tony said, looking at Olivia as they drove. “…how was it?”

Olivia smiled. “Are you kidding? It was awesome.”

Tony fell silent. He too her hand and squeezed it.

“What?” Olivia asked.

“My Baby Girl is going to be a lawyer.” Tony stated and sighed.

“Yep, and when I make the Supreme Court, you can still call me Baby Girl.” Olivia said, squeezing his hand.

He looked at her again and laughed.

“Thanks, so much, for the trip.” Olivia said. “I loved it. As you know, I’d always wanted to go to New York.” Olivia paused. “But…you know what the best part of that whole trip was?

Tony glanced over. “When was that?”

“That first night we arrived, in the hotel room. We ordered room service and we just…we talked. We talked about everything. I loved that. I loved being able to just talk. I guess Mom and Jacob get so bogged down in trying to solve whatever problems I have. They don’t really just sit and listen. And I don’t always need somebody to solve my problems. I can do that myself. I just need somebody to listen to me. Just…hear me. And you did that. Thank you.”

Tony just smiled at his daughter. He didn’t’ trust himself to speak.



NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS



Tony and Olivia arrived at Gibbs house just a few moments later. Tony thought it strange that the house was dark. He had called Gibbs before they had left New York to tell him when their plane would be arriving. He sighed as walked to the front door.

“Well, Baby Girl, it looks like the team caught a case. I…I guess we could go back to my place. I’ll just call Gibbs and plan something for tomorrow.”

Olivia started up the stairs. “Well, while we’re here, we can at least drop off the presents.”

Tony stood for a moment and debated. He then went back to the car and got the rest of the presents they had brought.

Olivia waited for him at the front door. She then opened the door and started to walk in. She was momentarily blinked when someone inside turned on the lights. Olivia and Tony stood in surprise in the door way as they looked into the smiling faces of Team Gibbs.

“For the record, DiNozzo, I wanted no part of this surprise thing.” Gibbs said in lieu of a hello.

“Good to see you too, Gibbs.” Tony said, grinning.

“It was my idea.” Abby said as she rushed to hug Tony and Olivia. “We missed you guys so much. It’s been a long week. Papa Bear has been even more grouchy than usual.”

“I heard that.” Gibbs said from across the room.

“See what I mean.” Abby whispered.

Olivia went over to Gibbs and gave him a big hug. “There’s nothing wrong with Grampy. He just missed his granddaughter.”

“That’s right.” Gibbs said smiling and hugging her back.

Tony and Olivia hugged and greeted everybody else and then they all sat down for a meal. Everybody had agreed to prepare a dish beforehand and bring it over to Gibbs house.

Then they got to the main event, the gift giving. Olivia gave them each a picture of her and Tony standing on one of the ferry boats, with the Statue of Liberty in the background. It made for a beautiful picture. She had bought some very nice frames and had wrapped each present herself.

Tony bought Gibbs a case of bourbon, the good stuff. It was on order and should arrive in a few days. He had gotten Abby a black gothic cross, with matching ring and bracelet. Abby loved it. Ducky got a book on Scotland, a book of Scottish tales. Jimmy got a signed NY Yankees jersey. Tony knew he was a huge fan. Tony found Ziva a beautiful, delicate, gold necklace and matching earring with the Star of David on them. He had a little trouble with knowing what to get Tim. He was not an easy person to buy for. So he brought Tim a ticket to a D.C. Technology Fair coming in the next year. He knew Tim would love to be among the first to see and experiment with the newest gadgets and technology.

“Thank you.” Olivia said as she rested her head on her dad’s shoulder.

“For what?” Tony asked.

“Everything.” Olivia replied.

TBC