- Text Size +
Chapter 9

The group descended to the parking garage and Olivia stopped in her tracks when she saw them all approaching what looked like a hearse. She did a double take as Abby opened the door and climbed in unlocking all the other doors.

Tony saw her reaction and smiled. “We all fit, that’s why we’re using Abby’s car.” Tony took her by the shoulders and maneuvered her towards the car. He and Olivia climbed into the back, with everyone except Abby and Ducky, who took the front seat.

Abby noted Olivia’s discomfort and explained. “I had the seats put in years ago. I got it from a funeral home that went defunct in Louisiana. They were going to junk those old beauty.” Abby said, as she lovingly patted the dashboard. “She was meant for me. I fixed her up and got her running.”

“She…they used to haul dead people in here!” Olivia shivered involuntarily and scooted closer to Tony.

Tony smiled and put his arm around her. “She had it blessed, Olivia.” Tony then looked up in Abby’s direction. “Didn’t you, Abby?”

“Actually, yes I did. I had it blessed when I first got it.” Abby said. “Believe it or not, not all Goths are fascinated with dead people. Though I do have a coffin in my apartment, I am the only one who has ever SLEPT in it. Well,” Abby reconsidered. “…Tony did once, on a bet, but he was too tall. He almost broke it. He…” Abby was chuckling by this time at the memory. “…his feet were hanging out over the edge. He tried to turn over, that is something you really, really can’t do in a coffin. So at any rate, he tipped the coffin over and landed on the floor. He didn’t even wake up. He asked me the next morning why he was lying on the floor.”

They all laughed, thought they had heard the story before.

Jimmy spoke up. “Actually I read on article about a haunted hearse in….”

Tony vigorously shook his head no at Jimmy as he started his story. Jimmy stopped, almost immediately.

“Sorry, I’m just not really a fan. I can’t watch horror movies without getting scared.” Olivia explained. “So, you and Abby…” Olivia addressed Tony.

Tony shook his head. “Friends…best friends…we…barhop together sometimes. That particular night…” Tony explained. “…I had had too much to drink and Abby offered me her coffin to sleep it off. She knew I wouldn’t fit though and she wanted me to climb in so that she could take pictures and post them on the web. She won a contest. She placed my hands on my chest and put a flower in them. She won a hundred dollars for that picture.”

“I still have the picture, Olivia.” Abby said as they pulled into the parking lot. “I’ll show it to you sometime.”

Everybody piled out of the car and went inside. Ducky had called ahead, while they were traveling, and reserved a table. They were soon seated and the orders were placed.

Everyone laughed when Olivia placed her pizza order.

Olivia looked around the table, puzzled at the smiles and chuckles. “What….?”

“You just ordered Tony’s favorite pizza, Olivia.” Gibbs explained.

“I’m more like you than I thought…Dad.” Olivia said. She leaned against him.

“That’s number 2.” Tony said, kissing his daughter’s forehead.

“What is number 2, Tony?” Ziva inquired.

“The second time Olivia has called me Dad.” Tony said beaming. He put his arm around her again.

The food and drinks soon arrived. Gibbs stopped everyone once they had their drinks in hand. He raised his glass in a toast and they all joined him.

“Olivia, we would all like to welcome you to our dysfunctional family.” Gibbs said. They all clinked glasses and everyone dug in.

“So, what do you think?” Tony asked Olivia as he walked her to her car in the NCIS parking lot 2 hours later.

“I can honestly say, I have never met anyone like them before.” Olivia said. “Gibbs is…scary. Well…I’m sure he is to other people. But…but I like him.. Abby…I’ve never met a Goth before, but I really like her. Don’t care for her hearse though. Ziva, I…don’t have a feel for her yet. But I can tell she is very…she takes good care of you. I like her. Tim is scary smart. Ducky is a delightful old Scottish chap. Jimmy is really sweet, a little too timid for his own good, though.” Olivia looked up at Tony. “He’s a little afraid of you, isn’t he?”

“Not really afraid. I just. I haven’t been very nice to him in the past. He…he is getting used to me being nice.”

Olivia nodded, accepting Tony’s explanation. “Ziva…is she really Mossad…like assassins, killers?”

“She is former Mossad. She had to resign from Mossad to be a federal agent with NCIS. She did that. She got her citizenship. She’s on our team now.” Tony explained.

“Very good for our team, I take it.” Olivia stated.

“Very, very good.” Tony replied.

“I...” Olivia leaned against her car when they finally reached her parking space. “…I knew your job was dangerous. I just…I guess seeing it. It makes it real. It’s scary, Dad. I’m afraid. I just found you. I don’t want to lose you.”

Tony took his daughter in his arms when she started to tear up. “I’m careful, Olivia. I am always careful. I have some very, very good people backing me up. I don’t work alone. I always have some sort of backup. I’m OK. I promise you, I’m OK.”

Olivia looked up at him and wiped her eyes. “It only takes one time, Dad, one mistake.”

Tony sighed. “I can’t convince you it is a safe job. It’s not. It is a dangerous job. But I have been doing it for a long time, Olivia. I take care of myself. I have been for many years. I…work with some good people. They take good care of me, too. I…I am the safest I can be. I take precautions. I plan on being around for a long time. I want to meet and spoil my grandkids. I have to be around for that.”

“Whoa,” Olivia said. “…grandkids! Let me graduate college first.”

“No rush.” Tony said, smiling.

“I…I had a great time with your friends. They were really nice.” Olivia put her arm around her father’s waist. “Gibbs…He’s like a dad to you?”

Tony nodded. “In a way, yes, he…he’s a good guy. He’s just a little grouchy, well, a lot grouchy. He’s like a bear protecting his cubs. We are all his cubs. He’s a good guy, down deep, way down deep…” Tony said. “…once you get past all the layers of grouch, the many, many layers of grouch.”

Olivia nodded. “I can tell he thinks a lot of you.”

Tony stood thoughtful for a moment. “What will you tell your mom?”

“I’ll tell her you work with interesting people who care a great deal about you.” Olivia concluded.

Tony nodded. “I love you.” He hugged her again. “Have a safe trip home.” Tony produced his business card, he wrote his address and personal phone number on the back of the card and handed it to her. “You call me, whenever you need to, day or night. I mean that. I…when am I going to get to see you again?”

“I graduate next month. I…I guess I will be busy. Senior trip, senior pictures, exams, final projects, I have a community service project to do. That will take up a couple of weekends. I…I’m not sure. But I will send you pictures. I want you at my graduation. I…I would love that. I want…I want you to meet my dad…. My...I mean, my other dad. I want you to meet my brother and sister. They want to meet you. I, I don’t know when I am going to make all this happen.” Olivia sighed, realizing she had no idea when their next meeting could or would be.

“It will all work out.” Tony said. “I remember all that stuff. I would love pictures. I can do with that for now. I would love anything you could send me.”

Olivia nodded. “I love you, too, DaddyT.” She smiled. “I told Mom that I would call you DaddyT, around our house.”

Tony smiled. “I like it.”

TBC