- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sequel to Holding On To Nothing, short one-shot.
BACK TO ZERO

AN: This is a sequel to Holding On To Nothing. I was asked by The Nagging Cube if I would write one. And after a little thought I came up with this.

Disclaimer: I have no knowledge of how long jail sentences should be.

Enjoy!

The last 4 months had been rough, Tim realized. He looked around the open air cafe that had been his favorite during his time at NCIS. At least it hadn't changed much. He shook his head. He hadn't expected his adjustment back to the world to be so difficult. He had gone to live in with his sister, right after release, but it was strange. He knew, though, he would not be able to stay long. Her sister's kids were now teenagers. They wanted their own rooms and their own space. It was hard having someone else in an already small, cramped house.

He was shocked when he looked over and saw the man two tables away. Even after 15 years, there was no mistaking who he was. He hair was had gotten gray. It made him look distinguished. His own gray hair was premature, and it just make him look old. But what had caused him to recognize the man was the voice. He remembered that voice very well. He picked up his coffee and went over to the man.

"Mind of I sit?" Tim asked.

Tony looked up at his visitor. He didn't recognize Tim for a moment. The gray hair had thrown him off. Tony nodded. "Fifteen years, McGee."

"Fifteen long years, " Tim sat. "...I had a long time to...think about things. A really long time." Tim replied.

"What did you come up with?" Tony asked.

Tim sighed. "I was an arrogant jackass who should have listened to his superiors."

"At least you finally got it." Tony paused. "So, how long have you been...out?"

"Four months..." Tim replied. "...staying with my little sister."

Tony nodded.

"I...are you still at NCIS?"

Tony nodded again.

"And everybody...Abby, Ducky...Gibbs...?"

"Abby's head of the lab now. She has 4 forensic scientists working for her. She's still working in the lab...couldn't give that up." Tony paused and sighed. "We lost Ducky about 4 years ago. He lived in a nursing home the last few years of his life. He was in his nineties. Gibbs is living it up in South Beach on his boat. He retired about 5 years ago. He sails up to Virginia every few months and visits. Jimmy took over as M.E." Tony shook his head. "It took a long time to get used to calling him Dr. Palmer."

Tim shook his head. Things had changed so much. He was happy for them. But he was sad he would never see Ducky again.

Tim looked at Tony. "You never really told me what you're doing now."

Just as Tony was about to speak a young agent came over to Tony. She extended the phone to him. "Director DiNozzo...a call for you..."

THE END (Now a continuation...)