- Text Size +
Part3

Leroy Jethro Gibbs’ life had changed a lot in 15 years. He did one thing he thought he would never do. He retired. He had always imagined he would die ‘in the line of duty.’ However, a few years into his retirement, he is glad he lived long enough to enjoy it. Florida was great. He loved the sun, and while, he did miss the job. He missed the people more, well, some people.

He, even after all these years, was still amazed by Timothy McGee’s and Ziva David’s actions. He had, in all his years of duty, never seen anyone so thoroughly and completely betrayed as Tony had been.

He and Tony had gone on. They had found two new team members. They had solved cases. They had done their jobs. But it wasn’t the same. Tony didn’t joke with the new people, opting instead, to be completely professional. Gibbs never asked Tony about his ‘new attitude.’ He didn’t really feel he had to. Tony had been hurt, deeply hurt, by two people he had cared for and trusted. Gibbs just figured he did not want to go down that road again.

This time, when Tony was offered his own team, about 4 years after ‘the incident,’ he accepted. Tony was ‘finally’ ready. He excelled in the position and a few years later, when Vance was ready to retire; Tony’s name got ‘put’ into the running.

Gibbs had stuck around for a couple years after Tony became Team Leader, mostly to see DiNozzo in action. He was not disappointed. Tony made him proud. And when Vance announced his retirement, it had been Gibbs who had thrown Tony’s name in the ring. It had not been a joke, but still Gibb had been surprised when Tony had been named. Not because there was any question of Tony’s abilities, but because he was up against some really strong candidates.

But still every time Gibbs thought about his title, Director DiNozzo, he had to smile. He still remembered, as clear as day, the smart-ass cocky Baltimore cop/kid, who he had watched and helped grow into a competent, confident agent. He shook his head and smiled as he parked his boat and dropped anchor in his slip in the Chesapeake Bay.


NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS


Gibbs stepped out of the taxi cab in front of the large two-story house. He stared in amazement, as always at the house. Not that it was a grand place, it was not, but it was just it belonged to Tony DiNozzo. Gibbs still had a hard time seeing him in any place else besides his tiny one-bedroom apartment.

Tony opened the door for his visitor, even before he knocked. Gibbs, it seemed, had passed along his ‘gut’ to Tony. Gibbs stepped in the door and he and Tony embraced.

“You’re planning on staying awhile, I see.” Tony said, eyeing Gibbs’ bag.

“If it’s okay.” Gibbs said.

“Absolutely,” Tony responded. “…just pick a room.”

Gibbs picked up the bag he had dropped on the floor before he and Tony embraced. He then headed up the stairs. He had no preference; he had stayed in them all over the years Tony had owned the house. He just picked a room and put his bag down on the bed. He then returned downstairs.

Gibbs found Tony in the living room. He had poured Gibbs a glass of bourbon and had it waiting when Gibbs came back down.

“You actually drink this stuff?” Gibbs asked, knowing Tony didn’t particularly care for bourbon.

“Nope…” Tony said, shipping his drink. “…it’s just for you.”

“You knew I was coming?”

Tony nodded.

Gibbs smiled.

“What?”

“Director DiNozzo.”

“I never have thanked you properly for that.” Tony replied.

“I knew you had the ability, but still, I was kind of surprised when Vance and SecNav picked you. There were so many who were just as qualified.”

Tony sipped his drink and then nodded. “I think Vance was just doing it to be a smart-ass. He was leaving, he didn’t care. He thought I wouldn’t last 6 months….”

Gibbs nodded. “…and here, almost a decade later.”

Tony smiled. “He’s eating his words now. But…even with The Frog…and Barrett, the Port-to-Port thing.”

“You got fooled too, Tony.” Gibbs stated, as he sipped his bourbon. “We all did.”

“But I was….” Tony said, shaking his head.

“You trust your superiors, Tony. That’s all you can do.” Gibbs said. “You expect that they know what they are doing.”

“But Jenny….”

“Jenny was a special case, Tony.” Gibbs stated. “We ALL found out, too late, what she was up to.”

“Special…yeah…nice word for her.” Tony replied.

“She changed, Tony.” Gibbs stated. “She was not the same woman I remembered. I don’t know what happened.” Gibbs shook his head. “She…she lost her father. She thought…I don’t know what she thought.”

“I…I saw McGee…” Tony started.

“Really?!” Gibbs asked. “Where?! When?!”

“Yesterday, actually. He…I was sitting in the café….”

Gibbs nodded. He was very familiar with that café. He had kept the place in business, with his coffee purchases alone, during his time at NCIS.

“He walked up to me and asked to sit.” Tony shook his head. “I didn’t’ recognize him for just a moment. He’s…he’s gotten gray. He looks old. He’s staying with his little sister.”

Gibbs nodded. “Fifteen years is a long time.”

Tony nodded. “He finally gets it. He finally understands.” Tony stated. “He did ask about you guys. I told him about you and Abby…and Ducky.”

They sat in silence for a moment after they made a toast to Ducky.

“I could really use a story right now.” Tony said.

“I wish I would have taken some time to listen.” Gibbs said. “I know he had some great ones.”

Tony looked at Gibbs. “You never told me hold long you were staying.”

“It depends.”

“On what?” Tony asked.

“How long will you have me?”

TBC (on to Dr. Palmer)