- Text Size +
Part 4

AN: I sort of had my readers thinking a certain way on Tony’s personal life in this story. So, I would like to thank ‘tansysam’ for giving me an idea to feed my evil plot bunny. I am kinda, sorta, not really, throwing you guys a curve ball. (Hint: The name used is NOT a coincidence.)

Tony stuck his finger into the bowl and tried to sneak another taste of icing.

“Mama, Daddy’s doing it again.” Tony’s green-eyed, brown-haired 5-year-old daughter said.

“Caitlyn Kelly DiNozzo, do not tattle on your father!” Tony said as he smiled at his daughter. He licked the icing off his finger. Then he scooped her into his arms.

“You’re in trouble …” Tony’s 7-year-old son, Donald Jethro DiNozzo, said. “…Daddy used all three of your names.” He had been sitting at the table, patiently waiting his turn at the icing bowl. He looked like his mother, with blonde hair and blue eyes.

“You all need to get out of my kitchen.” Wendy said to her husband and kids as she ushered them out of the room.

“But Mom!” They all whined.

“Out!” Wendy said. “Quit teaching your children such things.” Wendy said to Tony.

Tony opened his mouth to speak.

“If you want everything ready in time for the dinner party you’ll go.”

Tony obediently took the kids into the living room. He sat Katie on the floor. “Go check on Grandpa.” Tony said then watched his children run up the stairs. He then returned to the kitchen.

Tony walked up behind his wife and slipped his arms around her waist. “Thanks for doing this on such short notice. I…Gibbs was in…I just wanted to take advantage of us all being together.”

Wendy turned around in her husband’s arms. “I love your friends, you know that. I’m glad Jethro stays with us when he comes into town. I love Jimmy and Brianna, and their kids. Abby’s a hoot. I do wonder about her taste in men, though, sometimes.” Tony looked her in the eye. “She fell in love with me.” Tony said, jokingly.

“Who wouldn’t?” Wendy said, taking Tony’s chin in her hand and gently shaking it.

“You never told me how your trip went. I missed you and the kids.” Tony said, pulling her closer to him. He kissed her cheek. “It was nice Gibbs showed up when he did. But…it just wasn’t the same.”

“Mom and Dad were great. You know…ohhs and ahhs over the kids, same old, same old.” Wendy said as she laid her head on Tony’s chest.

“Mom! Dad! Grandpa’s ready!” Katie and Donnie said as they bounded back down the stairs.

“Now you two, to get ready…” Wendy said. “….what I laid out on the bed for you.” Knowing her children well enough to know they would get into their closets and choose something not nearly as nice.

“But….” Katie said, scrapping the toe of her shoe over the carpet and using her best sad face.

“No, but.” Tony said. “We dress up and behave when we go to dinner. We act like grownups.”

“But I not a growup. I just this many.” Katie said, holding up her hand splaying her five fingers.

Tony once again scooped his daughter into his arms and carried her upstairs. Donnie was already upstairs in his room, getting dressed.

Tony deposited her in her room. “You wear what Mom laid out for you.” Tony said as he left. “I need to go check on Grandpa.”

Gibbs opened the door just as Tony was getting ready to knock. Gibbs took one look at Tony and could read the worry.

“You’re doing the right thing, Tony.”

Tony shook his head. “I don’t know.”

“Are you ready for this?” Gibbs said. “That’s the real question.”

“Are you?” Tony asked, really wanting to know the answer.

“Yeah.” Gibbs answered honestly. “It’s been years. He’s changed. We’ve all changed.”

Tony just stood and stared at Gibbs for a moment.

“I talked to him for about an hour yesterday. He called, repeatedly. I didn’t recognize the number and I didn’t answer the first few rings, but he kept calling. He asked for you. You were out. I was just going to take a message…. He said it had been a couple of weeks since he had seen you. And he mentioned he had talked to you over the phone a few times. He said he had been thinking about things…. Why didn’t you tell me?” Gibbs asked.

Tony shrugged. “There was nothing to tell.” Tony paused. “In all honestly I never expected to hear from him. He, I don’t even know where he got my phone number. I…I just never expected anything to come of it.”

“But….”

“But I talked to Abby and Jimmy and they said it was time. Especially after I told them he had asked about them both.” Tony stated.

“What else….?” Gibbs asked.

“I took his job.” Tony paused. “He wanted this job…so badly. I…What if he just resents me?”

“You didn’t take his job, Tony.” Gibbs said. “Tim messed up. He lost the job because of his actions.”

Tony nodded, though he didn’t seem quite convinced.

Katie and Donnie appeared in the hallway. They came running up to Tony and Gibbs.

“I look pretty, Daddy?” Katie asked.

“Gorgeous, Ms. DiNozzo.” Tony said, smiling down at his daughter. “You look very handsome, too, Mr. DiNozzo.”

“Why thank you, sir?” Donnie said in his best British accent as he bowed deeply at the waist.

“Go downstairs, both of you. Stay out of Mom’s way and don’t get dirty.”

Both Donnie and Katie nodded as they headed downstairs.

Gibbs and Tony started down.

“Are you ready for this?” Gibbs asked.

“No.” Tony said, honestly, as they entered the living room.


NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS

Jimmy and Brianna were the first to arrive their 6 year-old twins, Donald James and Abigail Marie, and in tow. Tony sent all the kids downstairs to the playroom to play until dinner was ready.

Abby arrived next with her latest love interest. He was tall, handsome and a detective on the Baltimore PD. He had practically begged Abby to come when he found out whose house she was coming to. Tony was still a legend Baltimore.

Tim arrived last. He hesitated on the front stoop until Tony opened the door wide and ushered him in.

“Tony, I….” Tim started.

Tony nodded. “Come in, Tim.”

“Hi, Timmy.” Abby said sheepishly. She then came up to Tim and hugged him.

Tim almost didn’t recognize her. She had streaks of gray in her hair and she had toned down her gothic attire to just the wearing of the color black.

“I’m glad you came.” Abby said as she stepped back.

“You’re…you’ve changed.” Tim stated.

“So have you.” Abby replied, taking in his gray hair.

Tim turned his attention to Gibbs.

“Gibbs…Sir….” Tim was really surprised. Gibbs didn’t look like he had aged much at all. He actually looked rested and tanned. It reminded him of how Gibbs looked when he first returned from Mexico. “You haven’t changed a bit.”

“Florida and retirement agree with me.” Gibbs said, smiling.

Tim nodded. He then turned his attention to Tony as four small children ran up behind. Tony bent down to pick up a little blond-haired boy who was without-a-doubt his.

“Daddy, I’m hungry.” Donnie said, patting his stomach.

Tony put his ear to Donnie’s stomach and nodded. “Yeah, I guess so.” He looked at Tim for a second before he addressed Donnie again. “You can go and sit down. But I want to introduce you to somebody first, okay?”

Donnie nodded. He was looking at Tim. Donnie knew he had never seen him before.

“This is Timothy McGee, Donnie. Tim, this is my son Donald Jethro DiNozzo. He’s 7.” Tony stated. “And this one,” Tony said, indicating the little girl almost hiding behind her father’s leg. “…this is Caitlyn Kelly DiNozzo, Katie. She’s 5. Katie, this Timothy McGee.”

Both kids nodded and gave a sheepish little wave before they headed off to the dining room.

“There is no doubt they belong to you….” Tim started. He was surprised. He could never picture Tony married. Now, with children…he just shook his head. Tim looked at the other two children who had followed Katie and Donnie.

“Those are mine, they’re twins, DJ and Abby. They’re 6.” Palmer spoke up. “And you remember Brianna. Well, I’m sure you remember me talking about her anyway.” Brianna stuck out her hand and she and Tim shook. “We’ve been married 14 years.”

Tim nodded. He looked at Jimmy for a long moment. He really did look like a doctor. And he looked very…content, happy with his life. So did Tony.

“Kids…wife, Tony? It’s hard…hard to believe.”

Tony smiled.

Wendy came into the living room. She then walked over to Tony and put her arm around his waist. “So, this is Timothy McGee.” Wendy said by way of introduction. She stuck her hand out and she and Tim shook hands. “Nice to meet you, I’m Wendy.”

Tim shook his head. “I never thought Tony would get married. So…you’re…. How long…?”

Tony nodded and answered. “We’ve been married for 10 years. The kids were…a surprise. Both times…a pleasant surprise, but still a surprise.” By this time, they had all moved into the dining room and selected their seats, with Tony at the head of the table. “We met in Baltimore, years before NCIS and then, when we happened to meet again.” Tony paused. “We were a few years older and a lot wiser.”

Wendy reached over to Tony and took his hand. “We gave each other a second chance.”

Tony nodded and raised his glass and they all followed suit. He then toasted. “Here’s to second chances.”


THE END


END NOTES: I know my chronology may be a little off here, forgive me. I made Wendy a few years Tony’s junior. That is why his children are so ‘young.’ I had a lot of strong emotions and opinions thrown at me over this story. I know many of you think I don’t like Ziva and Tim. That’s not true. To me writing a story is like an actor playing a part. He may play a cop in one movie and then a serial killer in another. I also like being able to be that versatile. If I portray a character a certain way, that is all it is. A portrayal built around an incident, for a story, nothing more, nothing less.

I love all our beloved characters. But as I have said, they all have flaws, they’re human, even my beloved Tony. I love him dearly, but he can be an ass sometimes, he’s human. He’s not perfect and it’s those imperfections that make him fascinating.

Thanks you all, so much, for your reviews and your support. Jackie.