- Text Size +
Part 5

Director DiNozzo sat at his desk, studying the letter he held in his hand. He had read it over at least a dozen times.

Tony,

So many years have passed. I write, not to ask for forgiveness, I have no right. I write to tell you the reasons for my actions. I do not expect you to understand why I did what I did. I relive, every day, the moment I stood over your unconscious body, knife in my hand, ready to end you life. I cannot believe that person was me. I do not understand how I got to that point. I do not understand what made me decide that that action would solve my problem. In fact, that action would have ended the life of someone whom I considered a dear loyal friend.

I can only tell you that I desperately did not want to return to Israel. I have always had the suspicion that my father considered me expendable. I need only to recall Ari's demise to remember that. A man who can kill his own child…. Well, I need not go any further. I did not want to 'become a liability.' I was sure that was what would have happened. I knew I would have had to return to Israel to work for my father had Gibbs discovered what Tim and I did. I was not a United States citizen yet, and I felt it would have been far too easy for Gibbs, Vance, and SecNav to decide I was no longer needed. My position would be terminated and I would have no choice but to return home.

Again, I am not looking for forgiveness. I am not looking for absolution. I just want to tell someone, who once cared a great deal for me, that his friendship was much appreciated.

Ziva David

NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS

Tony stared at the letter for a long time contemplating its contents. He then picked up his pen and began to write.

Ziva,

Believe it or not, I have forgiven you. I could not allow actions made against me, regardless of their motives, to rule my life. I was very determined to recover completely from my injuries and I did. I cannot allow the anger I have for you to cloud my judgment. I could not allow myself to treat the next agent I worked with with any sort of mistrust because I was betrayed by a former partner. I have to move on, and I have. I have found happiness in my life and I have come to realize a few things. I don't hate you. I realize that the person I knew would not kill me. The person in the hospital room was someone pushed beyond her limits. And while I truly cannot understand the actions you took. I can understand the situation. I too have been pushed into corners, trapped with no way out. And while I did not turn on a friend, I came to the realization someone's life would have to end for me to come out alive. I had to make the choice.

But I gave you a chance, Ziva. I allowed you and Tim the opportunity to redeem yourselves. You could have just done as I asked. You could have gone a step further and turned yourself in. But you did neither.

As I said, I have forgiven you. But as forgiveness usually works, it was not for you. I didn't want and did not deserve to live under the burden of that weight. I deserved to live my life as I chose. We all chose the paths we will follow.

I can't give you what you need, Ziva. You have to forgive yourself first.

Tony DiNozzo

THE END

END NOTES: I think that this is truly, finally, the last chapter. I was debating writing a chapter on Ziva, but I decided the story really wouldn't be complete without it. This has been quite a journey, I appreciate all the comments, complaints and suggestions. A special thanks to all those who kept my evil plot bunnies alive and well-nourished. ENJOY! Jackie