- Text Size +
Chapter 15

Tony returned to his desk just moments after Gibbs left to go on his coffee run. He didn't look at either Kate or Tim, even though he felt their eyes on him.

"Tony…." Kate started.

Tony looked her in the eye. "Don't apologize, Kate." He paused. "You don't mean it. You're sorry I HEARD what you said. You're not sorry you said it."

"Tony…I…that's not true." Kate replied.

"Then why would you spread lies, if it's not true?" Tony asked. "Why would you tell people unless you actually believed it?"

Kate couldn't answer. She just shook her head.

"Tony…" Tim started.

"I'm just a beat-cop with a useless phys ed degree." Tony stated. "I know that's how you see me. What? Did you think Gibbs just took pity on me? Is he just amusing himself?"

"We saw the reqs, Tony." Tim stated.

"Good." Tony said. "I'm glad. Because we both know it was your MIT degree…" Tony said to Tim. "…and your psychology degree…" He addressed to Kate. "…that showed you how to work a crime scene. And how to photograph and sketch a body and a crime scene." Tony paused. "And, of course, how to collect evidence and question suspects and witnesses."

There was nothing either Tim or Kate could say to that. They both knew Tony had taught them that stuff. And that he had been a very good teacher. He had been very patient and he had explained why they did what they did they way they did it.

"Gibbs doesn't have the time or the patience for that. It was me." Tony said, trying not to let his anger show. He was failing miserably. "Look, I don't care if you like me. I don't care if you think I'm dumber than a box of rocks. You DO NOT and WILL NOT, ever again, disrespect me in front of my fellow agents. It won't happen. I had thought we could be friends, or at least have a cordial relationship. But if we can't, then we can't. But as long as you're on this team and I'm senior field agent…that's how it is."

Gibbs walked back into the bullpen at that time. He sensed the tension and chose to ignore it. He also chose to ignore the looks, the pleas for help, he was getting from both Tim and Kate.

Gibbs took his seat. He then took a long sip of his coffee before he spoke. "I don't ask much from the people who work for me. I just ask you to respect the work and your fellow agents."

Gibbs paused, giving Kate and Tim a chance to speak, but knowing that they would not. He continued. "I have known Tony longer, and I know him better than either of you. And I will not sit here and defend my decision. I got the best agent out there." Gibbs paused. "And if he reprimands you, it's just as good as coming from me."

"Oh, and Kate, the next time you…decide…have the urge…to spread a rumor. You can also spread one that you're looking for another job." Gibbs replied.

TBC
Chapter End Notes:
AN: Here's another chapter for those TonyAngstDisrespect lovers among us. Enjoy!