- Text Size +
Chapter 17

Kate’s and Tony’s returned to the bullpen after the lockdown had been made in silence. Kate had misjudged her partner and she felt horrible about it. The quiet was awkward for Kate and she wanted to fill it. But even as she opened her mouth to speak she had no idea all she would say. She just knew how she needed to start the conversation.

“I’m sorry, Tony.”

Tony looked up at her, having already sat down and his computer and powered it up. He didn’t speak.

“I am sorry.” Kate repeated.

Tony still didn’t speak.

Kate couldn’t help herself. She let her irritation get the best of her. “Aren’t’ you going to say anything?”

“Like what Kate? All is forgiven?” Tony asked. “What? We hug and all is ‘right with the world?’” Tony paused. “Well, all is NOT right with the world, Kate. I should not have to PROVE myself to my partner, the person who is supposed to have my back. I…And you know what the absolutely saddest part about all this is? You’re a profiler. So, you either really suck at your job, which is doubtful, because Gibbs wouldn’t have hired you. Or…or you didn’t look any deeper because you thought there was nothing to
find, which is insulting. Or…worst yet, you just don’t give a damn.” And with that Tony stood up.

Gibbs and Tim arrived at about that time. “Tony…” Gibbs warned. “…take it elsewhere…privately.” Gibbs said noticing the small number of agents who were standing up at their desks and looking in their general direction.

Tony shook his head. “It’s done. I’ve had my public humiliation. She’s had hers.”

“Okay people, show’s over.” Gibbs said as Tony walked past him to towards the elevator. He wanted to follow, but he knew Tony needed a little time to himself.

Tim took his seat and powered up his computer.

Gibbs glared at Kate. “WHAT the hell was that? What did you say to him?”

Kate was more than shocked at Gibbs’ attitude. “What did I…? I just tried to apologize. He…he acted like he didn’t hear me. I ….”

“Don’t even finish Agent Todd….” Gibbs put both hands down flat on top of her desk and leaned in close. He whispered. “Tony’s life has not been an easy one. Growing up rich, does NOT mean you grow up happy.” Gibbs turned and shot a look at Tim on that one. He knew Tim had been trying to listen, though he acted like he wasn’t. “Tony did what he had to to make it. And he turned out damned well, in spite of it all.”

Gibbs paused. He stood up and addressed them both. “But this is not about that. This is about my Senior Field Agent and the Junior Field Agents who are having issue with him.” Gibbs stated. “I never anticipate having this conversation with either of you ever again. So, as I see it, you can accept the current chain of command. Or, you can look for another job. You have until tomorrow morning to make up your mind.” And with that Gibbs left the bullpen to go find Tony.

TBC