- Text Size +
Chapter 18

Gibbs just looked at the nurse. She had given him ICU room 145. She had then turned back to her work as the ER was swamped with injured and sick people.

Karen Potter, RN rushed up to Gibbs. “This way, Agent Gibbs…” She then nodded to Kate and Tim. “...a tour bus got hit in the side by an SUV. Nothing too serious, but everybody has to be checked out.” Karen said, explaining the madness.

Gibbs was not sure what to think. He had gotten a phone call very early Sunday morning telling him he needed to get to Bethesda. The caller had not even identified herself. But she sounded upset and a little panicked. He could not figure out why the MCRT on call had not been called to take it. He could not figure out why he had been called to a hospital and not a crime scene, though the female caller had mentioned something about a former naval officer. Gibbs quickly dressed and called the rest of the team. He told them to meet him there. Gibbs then just shook his head, figuring it must have to do with a past case. But the thing that was really bothering him was why Tony had not answered his phone or returned his call. The whole thing made his gut churn. And the fact Tony still had not called him had him more than worried.

Karen let them to an elevator. They were all on before anyone spoke. “Tony’s condition is serious. He’s stable, though.”

Gibbs, Kate and Tim just looked at her. No one had any idea who would be in ICU room 145. But no one expected it to be Tony.

“I’m sorry.” Karen said as she started to explain.

“I was told a naval officer….” Gibbs said, remembering the phone call.

Karen nodded. “Yes, that was me.” Karen paused. “It…it happened so fast. The…this guy came in to be treated, a prison fight of some sort. Anyway,…” Karen looked down at her hands, which were still shaking. She shoved them into the pockets of her smock. “…Tony walked into the room. The guy mumbled something under his breath. He jumped off the stretcher and grabbed a scalpel. He turned on Tony and started waving it at him and lunging at him. He…The guy was saying NCIS had cost him his wife and his child.” Karen paused, her voice shaking. “It was me and a couple other nurses and another doctor in the room. Tony kept...he put himself between us and the guy. He told us to get out and to not let anybody else in the room.” Karen paused again. “We all left. We didn’t want to...to leave him in there. The…he stabbed his guard first. He kept…advancing on Tony. Every time one of us escaped. It just seemed to make him angry. The guy…he threatened to go after us. He went tried to leave. Tony wouldn’t let him. He…” Karen wiped her eyes. “…Tony wouldn’t move from in front of the door. Then it was over. Tony collapsed, our security arrived…” Karen shook her head. “…we got back in to help Tony as soon as we could. I…I counted three stab wounds. But there were more.”

Gibbs, Tim and Kate were too stunned to speak. Gibbs didn’t find his voice until they all exited the elevator. “Tony…he’s….”

“The guy who attacked him nicked an artery. He…we were able to keep him from bleeding out. But Tony still lost a lot of blood. He…he’s weak. The surgeons were able to stop all the bleeding and repair the wounds. He’s sedated right now. He’s ….” Karen continued as she led them down the hall to Tony’s room. “…he’s on a ventilator. He doesn’t really need it.” Karen assured them. “We’re just taking special care because of his lungs. And his body needs the rest.”

Karen stopped when she got to the door. They then followed her in. “Everybody knows who you guys are. Tony talks about NCIS all the time. He…he wants us to know he’s safe at his other job. He wants us to know that you take good care of him.”

Karen paused for just a second. She slipped her hand into Tony’s for just a second before she spoke again. “Make yourselves comfortable, Agent Gibbs, Agent Todd, Agent McGee. Karen said, addressing each of them. “You can stay as long as you want. The couch pulls out.” Karen said, indicating the big brown piece of furniture in the corner. “Ask for whatever linens, pillows, etc. you need. Agent Gibbs, the nurses’ station keeps a fresh pot of coffee going.”

Karen removed her hand from Tony’s. “Tony told us all about you. He described what you looked like. He said you take coffee, intravenously, Agent Gibbs. He said you were a computer genius, Agent McGee. And he said you, Agent Todd, are an excellent profiler.” Karen paused. “He’s told us a lot more, but it would take all day to tell you. He also talked about Abby Scuito, Dr. Mallard, and Jimmy Palmer.”

They all nodded, knowing Tony’s propensity to talk.

“Like I said, make yourselves comfortable. Tony’s doctor will be in shortly making his rounds.” Karen said, and then she left.

Gibbs left the room for just a moment to call Abby and Ducky. He re-entered the room to find Kate holding Tony’s hand. She looked to be close to tears.

Kate was just staring at her partner. She was not used to seeing him this still. It brought back bad memories of the time Tony had the plague. Except this time Tony was hooked up to so many machines. It amazed her how small and fragile he looked. She fought back tears as she stroked his cheek.

Tim was standing by the window, staring out. But Gibbs could tell he was not, at all, seeing why lay beyond the panes of glass. In his mind he was a million miles away. He did, however, turn over so often and look over to Tony before turning and staring back out the window.

Gibbs sighed. He went to Tony’s bedside and stared down at his agent. He was extremely angry and extremely proud, all at the same time. Tony was certainly, most definitely, a hero. But why did he always have to get himself injured or nearly killed to do it?

TBC