- Text Size +
Chapter 19

Gibbs had just settled himself into a bedside chair, when Tony’s nurse showed up.

“Hi, my name’s Monica.” The petite brunette said, introducing herself to everyone in the room. “I’m Tony’s nurse. I’ll be checking on him about every 15 minutes or so.” She moved to Tony’s bed and checked him over carefully. She checked his IV lines and ventilator tube. She then checked his wounds. Satisfied, she turned and spoke. “You need anything, just let us know.”

Gibbs nodded and settled back into his chair. Kate had moved away from Tony and had settled in the other chair and Tim had moved to the couch. He could tell they were far too lost in thought. Gibbs decided to just sit and wait for Tony’s doctor.

Kate’s mind was in turmoil. She didn’t know what to think. She had still been wrapping her mind around the fact that Tony was a doctor when she had assisted him in performing surgery. She had been caught off guard by his attitude when they had returned to the bullpen. Not that he had been wrong, he was not. But she was used to the easy-going man she had known. She hadn’t expected the hostility. She had definitely deserved it. But she hadn’t expected it just the same. She shuddered involuntarily. It was too eerie. Tony was too still. She realized a few things while sitting there. That was all she could do was think. She kept going back to what Tony had told her, and he was right. Tony should not have had to prove himself to her. She should have been able to get past what she saw as annoying behavior. She should have realized Gibbs show ‘something’ in Tony, about Tony, to have hired him. Gibbs saw something to have kept him around. Now, she needed to figure out what she could do to make things up to him. And she really had no idea how or what she could do.

Tim was having a similar conflict playing out in his mind. He was having a very hard time reconciling the image he had of Tony with the known facts. Tony had graduated from Johns Hopkins. But then, why brag about a Phys Ed. Degree from Ohio State? He didn’t understand that. He was proud of his education. He had worked hard for what he had gotten. He didn’t understand why Tony didn’t feel the same way. Then, now, Tim kept looking at the still form lying in the bed. The man attached to all the tubes and life lines. And felt like he was in a horrible nightmare. However, if he was having a nightmare, Gibbs and Kate were having it with him. Tim was forced to ask himself questions he had not given a great deal of conscious thought to. He didn’t understand, once he got to know Tony, and Gibbs, why Gibbs kept Tony around. Tim had seen Gibbs smile at some of Tony’s antics on occasion. But it was always a quick smile and you had to look at Gibbs at just the right time, or you would miss it. But a source of amusement, not matter how frequent or funny it could be, is not a good reason. Thiers was a serious occupation. The two didn’t seem to mesh. But Tim had to admit, in the mist of the horror of a crime scene; he often looked forward to Tony’s comments and distractions. He had, in fact, in some ways, come to rely on those small reprieves to get him through and past the rougher cases and harder days. The fact that Tony was a doctor, and a good one, added a new wrinkle. This information was from co-worker’s reactions and comments. Maybe the man he had seen as pitifully uncomplicated was just the opposite. That, in fact, was the case. Tim was coming to realize. He had read the man all wrong. He had a hell of a lot to make up for and had no idea how to even begin.

NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS

Dr. Pitt entered the room followed by Abby and Ducky. They had met in the elevator on the way up to Tony’s floor. Abby had not stopped asking questions about Tony and his welfare.

“How is Doctor DiNozzo doing?” Brad asked as he entered the room.

Gibbs looked up at him, almost surprised and grinned. “How long have you known?”

“Since The Plague…” Brad stated. “…Tony slipped and said something…doctorish to me. I cornered him on it later. He…he’s excellent at his job, Gibbs. The staff here really, really loves him.”

Gibbs nodded. He was not terribly surprised at anything Brad had told him.

Brad went over to Tony and took out his stethoscope. He listened to Tony’s chest. He then turned and spoke to the room. “Tony’s lungs are sounding really good. I’ll be by, daily, to listen. But I think he will be fine. He’ll have to be up and walking as soon as possible. But he shouldn’t have any problems.”

“Bradley may Jethro and I speak to you, outside?” Ducky asked as he started out the door.

Brad nodded and left. Gibbs followed.

Abby took the chair Gibbs had just vacated. She held Tony’s hand tightly as she watched his face for any sort of reaction. She had been told he was sedated, but she still wanted some sort of reaction from her friends. She wanted some sign that he knew she was there.

Kate filled Abby in on what Tony had done to get himself here. She knew Gibbs would have only given a very abbreviated version.

Brad, Ducky and Gibbs had only begun to speak when Dr. Andrew Long, Chief of Staff showed up. He addressed himself directly to Gibbs after speaking briefly to both Brad and Ducky.

Dr. Long stuck out his hand. “Agent Gibbs…I finally get to meet the man who is keeping one of my best doctors away from working here full-time.”

“He’s an excellent agent, too, Dr. Long.” Gibbs said as he shook the man’s hand.

“I don’t doubt that for a moment, Agent Gibbs. Not for a moment.” Dr. Long replied smiling.

Dr. Long then addressed Brad. “How’s Tony doing, Brad?”

Brad nodded. “Pretty well, Dr. Long, his lungs are sounding clear. He’s in stable condition.”

Dr. Long nodded. “Good, glad to hear it. Dr. Mallard, it’s good to see you again. Agent Gibbs, nice to meet you, finally.” He shook both their hands. “Dr. Pitt, keep me informed.”

“Yes, Sir.” Brad replied.

TBC