- Text Size +
Chapter 21

AN: I hope you like the cliffie at the end of this chapter. I hadn’t known it would be there when I started writing this chapter. But I think it works. And at least it gives Tony options. ENJOY!

“Why?” Gibbs asked. He had been waiting days, no weeks to ask the question. And this was the first time they had been alone for any length of time.

“Do you have a death wish? What?” Gibbs asked shaking his head.

Tony couldn’t help but smile. “He threatened my co-workers, the other patients…what was I supposed to do?”

“Shoot him!” Gibbs replied.

“With what? I can’t carry my weapon at work in the ER. If I had tried to get the prison guard’s weapon from him, even with him being injured, he would have shot me.” Tony shook his head. “The guy was coming at me and I had no weapon, nothing to defend myself with. Then when he started towards the door and said he was going to leave the room….” Tony shook his head. “I couldn’t let him do it. We had an ER full of children and old people. They couldn’t have gotten away from him. There was no place for them to hide.”

Gibbs knew everything Tony was telling him was true. He just shook his head.

“According to Abby I have more lives than an alley cat.” Tony replied.

“… a good thing.” Gibbs sighed.

“Things like that are NOT a common occurrence, Boss.” Tony tried to reassure Gibbs. “That was the first since I came to work here.”

“It only takes one time, Tony.” Gibbs said, sounding suddenly tired.

“Aww, you do care.” Tony grinned.

Gibb scowled at him. “You have two head slaps coming. I’m keeping count.”

“Two?”

Gibbs explained. “One for what you just said. The other is for getting yourself into this…mess in the first place.”

Tony got quiet for a moment. When he spoke, Gibbs was shocked. “Maybe it’s time I left.”

“WHAT?”

“Maybe it’s time I left.” Tony repeated.

“I heard what you said, Tony.” Gibbs stated. “I just can’t believe you said it.”

“Team members need to trust each other, Boss.” Tony said, looking down at his bedspread, intentionally avoiding Gibbs’ gaze. “I’ve...lying in this bed, I’ve had a lot of time to think.”

“Tony…?!”

“Mathematics, Boss. It’s a lot easier to replace one person than it is to replace two.”

“DiNozzo?!”

“There is nothing I can do to make them trust me. To make them…there is no magic switch I can flip.” Tony looked at Gibbs. “And I don’t see that situation changing any time soon.”

“I’ve worked a lot of places; I didn’t get along with the people.”

Tony grinned. He decided against voicing his thoughts. “I have too, Gibbs. But this goes beyond that. I…they hesitate when I tell them to do something.” Tony paused. “Then you come along two minutes later and give the same command and….”

Gibbs nodded at what Tony was saying, but the knowledge made him angry.

“I shouldn’t have to spend all my time convincing my coworkers that I am actually capable of doing my job. And frankly, Gibbs…” Tony replied. “…I’m tired of trying. I don’t have that problem here.” Tony stated. “I act…I still have fun with my co-workers here. And they don’t think I’m an idiot.”

“I…Tony….” Gibbs had no idea what to say.

TBC