- Text Size +
Chapter 25

Gibbs sat down at his desk. He looked up and glared at his temporary SFA.

"Agent Gibbs…I…." Anderson started.

"Elevator! Now!" Gibbs said and Anderson followed.

Both men waited until the doors closed before either spoke.

"Agent Gibbs…I…the book says….." Anderson started.

"I don't CARE what the book says." Gibbs temper flared.

Anderson shook his head. "We…policy says…."

"I don't CARE what policy says!" Gibbs hissed. "I do not give a DAMN what policy says."

Anderson opened his mouth, but wisely closed it before anything could escape.

"Is that what you were doing, Anderson? Reading up on DAMNED policy instead of protecting your fellow agents?" Gibbs asked, getting in his face.

Gibbs paced in the small area, trying to control his anger. "Tim and Kate could have been killed while you were studying your DAMNED rule book!" Gibbs paused, clinching and unclenching his hands. "What part of 'this job is unpredictable' don't you get, Anderson?" Gibbs got in his face again. "Which of those words confuse you? Because I can explain EVERY ONE of them to you!"

Anderson just shook his head and kept his mouth closed.

"When I give you an order…REACT! Do it!" Gibbs said. "That's all I need from you. You let ME…" Gibbs pointed to himself. "…worry about the fallout. That's MY job, you do yours!"

"Agent Gibbs…I…."

"Now…" Gibbs said, acting as if Anderson never spoke. "…you go upstairs and tell Director Vance you are requesting a transfer."

Anderson looked at him. "What?"

"Go upstairs and tell Director Vance you're requesting a transfer." Gibbs repeated, his temper a little more under control.

"But I just…. What would…?"

Gibbs sighed. "I really don't care what you tell him, Anderson. Tell him you think I'm a bastard. Tell him you…I DON'T care what reason you give him." Gibbs paused. "And ask it to be effective immediately."

Anderson opened his mouth again, to speak.

"You're a little…slow there aren't ya, Anderson. It's because you are no longer on my team. You are no longer on my team, affective this moment. I do not need an agent who will put their fellow agents, their partners', lives in danger. All because they have the rule book shoved so far up their ass, it prevents them from pulling the trigger."

"You can't…." Anderson started.

"Indignant doesn't work with me." Gibbs stated. "And threats don't scare me. However, if you DON'T do what I say…" Gibbs threatened his voice menacing and his anger flaring again. "…Abby and I will make sure nobody EVER finds the body."

Anderson had almost begun to smile, but quickly changed his mind, unsure if Gibbs was serious. And besides that, he KNEW Abby didn't like him. Anderson made his way upstairs, a little shaken, as soon as he stepped off the elevator.

NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS

Tim and Kate glared at Anderson's back as he slowly made his way upstairs to Vance's office. They didn't even notice when Gibbs reentered the bullpen. They both knew how close they had come to being killed, and if Gibbs had not stepped in…. They both shuttered to think what would have happened.

"Agent Anderson will not be a problem anymore." Gibbs stated as he took his seat.

Both Kate and Tim just turned and stared at him.

"He's off the team." Gibbs said. He looked up to the 4th floor balcony just as Anderson left Vance's office and Vance emerged. Gibbs nodded to Vance and started towards the director's office. "I want your reports on my desk in an hour." Gibbs called back to the both of them.

NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS

Gibbs and Vance took their seats in Vance's office. The expression on Vance's face surprised Gibbs. It was one of amusement.

"Anderson asked for a transfer." Vance stated.

Gibbs nodded.

"Effective immediately."

Gibbs nodded, again.

Vance leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms. "Why do I think you…suggested this…transfer?"

"I don't know, Director."

"Could it be because you threatened the man with bodily harm?"

Gibbs nodded. "It could be."

"Because you threatened to dispose the body in such a way no one would find it? EVER?"

"Possibly."

"You cannot go around threatening certain death on your fellow agents." Vance stated.

"The second B in Gibbs, Director. I have an image and reputation to uphold."

"The ONLY thing that is saving you from a severe reprimand here is, I suspect, Anderson did something…."

"He hesitated to follow my orders. And it almost cost Tim and Kate their lives. That is unacceptable, Director." Gibbs replied. "He told me I wasn't following procedure, protocol. I told him, basically, what he could do with his protocol."

Vance smiled again. "I'm sure you did."

"Why is this amusing, Director?"

"Because Anderson came in here acting like a scared rabbit." Vance answered. "He asked to be transferred to another state…."

"Good."

"It told him he was suspended, pending investigation of this incident. If…if he was in…violation. He will not longer work for NCIS." Vance stated. "I cannot have such arrogance here. It gets people killed."

Gibbs agreed and then stood to leave.

"Have you heard from DiNozzo?"

Gibbs nodded. "He's doing great. He loves 'being a doctor.'"

Vance sighed. "I never thought I would say this about DiNozzo. But we need him here. Tell him to come home."

TBC
Chapter End Notes:
I do plan on getting back to Tony in the next chapter, a little Dr. DiNozzo in action, type thing. Enjoy! And thank you, so much, for your faithful reading.