- Text Size +
Chapter 3

AN: A note to explain chapter references. I mention, in particular, two series during which a certain actor played a doctor. Anyone who guesses correctly gets a big piece of New York style virtual cheesecake. The best kind…no calories and nothing shows up on the waistline.

Tony couldn't understand why all the suspicion all of the sudden. He had been working his second job on the weekends like this for years. Was it, all the sudden, obvious? He had to think. He hadn't dropped any hints at work. Well, at least not on purpose. He hadn't accidently SAID anything. Well, there was Ducky. But Ducky understood. No, Ducky really didn't understand his reasoning. But he had agreed to keep it quiet.

And now Jimmy knew. He knew Ducky wouldn't have told Palmer on purpose. He knew Ducky had let it slip. Jimmy had been after Ducky to help him study in their free time. And as it turned out, Jimmy had a lot more free time than Ducky. And then one day after a lot of long hours at the autopsy table and a lot of pestering from Jimmy, it came out.

"Go see if Anthony will help you, Mr. Palmer." Ducky said.

Jimmy just stared for a moment. "Anthony…you're talking about Tony…Tony DiNozzo? Right?"

It was then Ducky realized his mistake. He shook his head. "I misspoke, Mr. Palmer. Just let me finish with Seaman Jones and I will be right with you."

Jimmy nodded. Still bewildered and returned to the backroom. He sat down and tried to return his mind to his studies. It wasn't often that Ducky misspoke, about anything. Was there something to what he had said? Jimmy shook his head, trying to clear it. He had far too much studying to do.

Three days later Tony showed up in Autopsy just as Ducky was about to leave. "Well, Jimmy should pass his test with flying colors."

"I am sorry, Anthony." Ducky said, blushing slightly.

Tony smiles and nodded. "It's okay." Tony said as he leaned back on one of the autopsy tables. "It was almost like reliving med school all over again. It was actually kind of fun. I didn't realize I remembered so much."

Ducky nodded. "Thank God for reference books. When you get to be my age, you will see what I mean." Ducky paused. "Again, it slipped Anthony." Ducky said apologetically, trying to explain. "I had so much to do and the dear boy really, really needed a study partner."

"Things slip, Ducky." Tony said smiling. He held no ill will against the Scotsman. "Happens to the best of us.

Ducky smiled. He realized Tony was referencing his own slip that fateful day a few years back. "Who knew navy cops were so good with Anatomy?" Ducky asked.

"Palmer didn't believe me when I told him I just watched a lot of St.ElsewhereandChicagoHope marathons." Tony said smiling.

"Imagine that." Ducky said.

Tony chuckled. "Yeah, imagine that."

Tony got quiet.

What is it, Dear Boy?"

"Gibbs has…noticed things. He asked me if I still liked my job.?"

Ducky was shocked. What did you tell him?"

"I said of course I did." Tony paused. "He thinks I'm out partying and womanizing."

"He's like a dog with a bone." Ducky said.

"I gotta throw him off my trail." Tony surmised.

Ducky sighed. "I never asked you this. I wanted to respect your privacy. And I figured you would tell me when you were ready. But…why haven't you told Gibbs…or anybody else?"

Tony shook his head. "It's no big secret Ducky. I am proud to be a doctor. I think I do a lot of good. I…I guess I just figured no one would believe me. I figured if I told anybody they would just think it was a line I used on women or something. I like having something that is just me. All mine. I…it's hard to explain. But this is almost like a hobby for me. I…. I just really enjoy the work."

Ducky nodded. He understood that. There was a huge sense of fulfillment in doing what you loved. And he could tell in the way that Tony talked about the profession that he did love it. And he had no doubt that Tony was an excellent doctor. He was just hoping, one day, to see Tony in action.

"Tell Palmer if he needs any more help to let me know." Tony said before he turned to leave.

"Oh Anthony," Ducky said. "I thank you, again. I'm sure Mr. Palmer will be catching up with you in a few days to let you know how he did on the examination."

Tony nodded before he turned again and left.

Gibbs waited for a moment before he went back to the elevators and acted as if he had just arrived.

What, exactly, did Palmer need help on? What TEST was Ducky talking about? Gibbs wondered as he entered Autopsy.

TBC

Good ole' Jethro, blood hound that he is, is on the scent. What will he do? How will Tony try to throw him off the trail? Coming up!