- Text Size +
CHAPTER 30

The entire squad room at NCIS was staring at the television with rapt attention. The scene playing out in front of their eyes was surreal. There were several news crews at the scene of a car accident. A blue sedan had found itself rammed into a utility pole. The woman inside was in labor and had tried to drive herself to the hospital, but the contractions had become too much to bear.

A news reporter had begun her report as several bystanders pulled out cellphones to report the accident.

A familiar voice soon rang out, at least one familiar to those in the squad room.

“Back Off! Give us some room!” Tony walked over to one camera man who didn’t move fast enough for his liking. The man got Tony on camera. “Look, you’re not filming this lady giving birth. I don’t care WHAT it will do for your ratings. BACK UP!” Tony said loudly and with authority. He hadn’t even gone over to the women, but he could tell from the sounds he was hearing she was very close to delivering.

^^^^*****^^^^

Team Gibbs looked surprised as Tony appeared on the scene.

“Is that Tony?” Kate asked.

“He’s not an obstetrician.” Tim stated.

Gibbs smiled. “I guess he is today.”

^^^^*****^^^^

The reporter continued her report in a subdued tone as Tony made his way over to the injured woman. She was somewhat pinned in the car due to the impact. Tony then looked between her legs on the floor and noticed clear liquid, tingled pink. Luckily for Tony, the woman was still conscious, despite the injuries to her face and head. She was bleeding heavily from wounds in both areas.

“He’s coming.” She said.

“Your baby’s a boy?” Tony asked, not really expecting her to answer. He examined her closely and quickly. “I need to take care of the baby first.” Tony explained.

The lady nodded, as Tony moved himself into a better position to see what was happening. It was just what he had feared. She had started to deliver either as a result of the accident or just before. Now he saw a foot.

The EMTs began to move in. Tony shook his head. “It’s a breach. It’ll have to be delivered here.”

^^^^*****^^^^

By this time Ducky, Abby and Palmer had joined Team Gibbs in the squad room. A great silence had fallen over the room as they all watched the action.

“A breach?” Kate said. She thought she knew what the term meant. But she looked to Ducky for confirmation.

“It can be a dire situation, Caitlyn. The baby is born feet first.” Ducky explained.

“So the cord can….” Abby said, putting a hand to her throat.

Ducky nodded. “But this child is very lucky…”

They all turned and looked at Ducky.

“…he has Anthony taking care of him.

^^^^*****^^^^

The two emergency personnel nodded and began to assist Tony as needed. Meanwhile, the news crews had dared to move closer. They were not getting any good pictures, but were picking up the conversations clearly.

She shook her head. “No. No.” She fully understood what the term meant. “Gotta save him.”

Tony nodded. “He’ll be fine.” He said. “I’m Tony, by the way. And I am a doctor.”

“Caroline.” She said shifting slightly to ease the pain and pressure. “Cary Saunders and lucky me.” She managed a smile.

“Cary, try not to move too much.” Tony said. “Because the baby has already started to come out, we have to deliver him here, now.” Tony knew the baby was being squeezed by the birth canal and then there is the danger with the cord. He could easily be suffocated or strangled.

“I need you to push.” Tony said. He and the other emergency personnel had readied themselves. They had everything they needed from their truck within easy reach.

Cary shook her head. She suddenly seemed tired beyond words. She head fall back, as if she had passed out. She was then jerked back awake by a contraction.

“Cary! I need you here. We are going to deliver this baby. Do you understand?” Tony stated, bringing her back to the present.

Cary nodded and tried to push. The first push did little. But after the fifth push a much anticipated sound pierced the air. Cary Saunders’ little boy cried for the first time.

“Cary, say hello to Baby Boy Saunders.” Tony said, smiling as he held the baby up for her to see.

^^^^*****^^^^

The squad room exploded into applause.

“Aww, a little boy.” Abby said, brushing away a tear. “That was awesome.”

“Way to go, Tony.” Tim said.

“See, I knew Tony could do it.” Palmer said. He had been standing beside Abby, comforting her.

^^^^*****^^^^

Cary smiled and nodded. She then closed her eyes as her weariness began to overtake her.

Tony cut the cord and then did a preliminary exam. He cleared the baby’s nose and throat. He then wrapped the baby up tightly in a blanket from the ambulance. Tony took it over to the back of the ambulance. The emergency personnel worked to remove Ms. Saunders from what was left of her vehicle. Tony gave the baby as thorough an examination as possible. He finished just as Cary was being brought to the ambulance. Tony handed the baby over to Cary as she was loaded in.

“Thank you, Doctor Tony.” Cary said just as the doors closed.


^^^^*****^^^^

Team Gibbs stood and watched all the news footage as the rest of the squad room slowly went back to the desks. Most were still talking about what they had just seen.

The team watched as the first reporter on the scene tried to get Tony’s attention. She had tried to chase him across the street, but was doing a poor job of it in her high heeled shoes. Tony easily escaped, jumping into his car and driving off.

^^^^*****^^^^

“Typical Tony…” Abby said. “...driving off before he can be interviewed.”

Gibbs nodded. He was so proud of Tony, he couldn’t even express it. “Yep, Typical Tony.”

Tim and Kate were still in shock. Here was another instance they could add to the “how badly I underestimated Tony DiNozzo’ category. The list was growing. They were just getting used to the musically talented side of DiNozzo. This was just another example of how competent, talented and smart Tony was. They were, only now, truly beginning to understand that Tony was not as uncomplicated as he made himself out to be. They were beginning to really realize that they WERE doing him a disservice by not looking deeper.

TBC

END NOTES: Okay, boys and girls, it’s time to bring DiNozzo back home!!