- Text Size +
Chapter 31

In the year Tony had been just a doctor he had learned a lot about himself. He realized that he was not as ‘out of practice’ as he had thought. He had enjoyed the various cases he had dealt with in the ER. And he had handled each as efficiently as the doctors who worked there full time, all the time. He had had the small fear that working at NCIS had allowed him to forget things. But delivering that baby was all the proof he needed. Even in the ER he had not delivered a baby in a few years. They could always page the OB, as needed.

He had been very proud of himself in that moment. And it made him feel even better when he had gotten voicemails and text messages about it. Most were from Team Gibbs, even Kate, but there was a few from other NCIS co-workers.

Tony had woken up the next morning and had decided it was time. He needed to go back to NCIS. Tony went in and told the hospital administrator and the ER staff of his plans to resume his weekend work schedule.

Karen gave him a huge hug. “You can work weekends there.”

“It’s not a weekend job, Karen. Weekends are for on-call teams.” Tony told her hugging her tight.

“There’s got to be some way to work this out.” Karen said, letting her co-workers step in and get their chance.

Tony shook his head as he hugged his other co-workers. “It won’t work.”

“Now we get to worry about you again.” Rosa said, hugging Tony. “Please, promise me you’ll be careful.”

Tony smiled at her. “Am I still your boyfriend?”

Rosa looked him over and kidded him. “I don’t know. I think you’re getting a little too old for me. I like the young fellas.”

Tony pouted.

Rosa was nearing retirement age. She was married and had been happily married for about 40 years. But she had a soft spot in her heart for Tony. She had fallen for him when she first met him. She had seen his gentle, caring nature shine through when he dealt with his patients and that just deepened her affection for him.

“You promise me you’ll be careful.” Rosa told him. “Tell Agent Gibbs if he doesn’t look after you he’s on my list.”

Tony couldn’t help but chuckle. “I will, on both counts.”

NCIS NCIS NCIS

Tony walked into NCIS with his backpack slung over his shoulder. He was greeted by everyone he met. He got a lot of back-slaps, hugs and welcoming him back and congratulating on delivering the baby. He finally made it up to the bullpen, and was still early for work.

Tony had given it a lot of thought, how he was going to deal with Tim and Kate. He had played out various scenarios in him mind. But he was not sure which he would go with. He figured he would most likely make up his mind at the last minute. And he had, he had decided how he was going to handle the situation as he rode up in the elevator. No one was in the bullpen, just as he had planned.

Tony had not told anyone the exact day he was coming back, not even Gibbs. But he had talked to Gibbs about how to handle Kate and Tim. He had told Gibbs what he was thinking. The various scenarios, he had also told Gibbs he had not settled on method. Gibbs told him he would back him, whatever he chose.

Kate arrived first, and Tim followed seconds later. They each did a double take when they saw Tony.

“Glad you’re back, Tony.” Kate said smiling.

“Me too, Tony.” Tim said. “Really glad.”

The atmosphere seemed, different in the bullpen. Things were not as ‘light’ as they usually were when Tony was around.

“Agent McGee. Agent Todd.” Tony said, greeting them both.

They both stared at him. “Tony…?” Kate said.

“You said I wasn’t professional enough for you.” Tony explained. “That’s what you wanted, professionalism.”

“Tony…we…we understand now. We get it.” Tim said. “I took a stab at your job. It’s…it’s not easy. You made it seem easy…but it’s not. I get that. I got that.”

Kate nodded. “And that first guy…Anderson. He...he as like the anti-you, and he was horrible. He was so by-the-book it….” Kate shook her head. “And McGee is absolutely right about your job. You made it look way, way too easy.” Kate paused. “That was a very rough six months for me.”

“Good,” Tony started. “…you respect that job. But that’s not at all what this is about. It’s not about what I do. It’s about who I am. You need to respect me.” Tony explained.

Both Tim and Kate opened their mouths to speak.

“Every time I gave you an order, it was a discussion. But, if Gibbs had given you that same order, you would have just done it. You wouldn’t have questioned him. It wouldn’t have be a debate.” Tony stated. “That tells me that it’s me. It’s what I’m doing. So…if I had NOT been so…lax with the both of you, if I hadn’t tried to be your friend, I wouldn’t be in the situation I found myself in. So…Agent McGee, Agent Todd this is how things are. We’re not friends, we’re co-workers.”

“Tony…!” Kate started to protest.

Tony shook his head. “We’re not friends, Kate. How many times have you told me you never want to be invited to my apartment? How many times have you told me I’m not invited to yours?”

Kate wanted to open her mouth, to say something. But everything Tony had said was true. She just shook her head.

“And McGee,” Tony said, turning his attention to Tim. “…you get antsy whenever I come over. You’re so afraid I’m going to touch something, break something.” Tony paused. “Friends don’t act like that towards one another.”

“You’ve never invited us over.” Tim said.

“Would you have come?” Tony countered.

Neither could say anything. They both knew they would have declined the invitation.

“Besides, we don’t hang out together. We don’t go out to eat or to the movies after work. We don’t do that stuff.” Tony said. “Those are things friends do.”

Kate started to speak, but Tony just shook his head.

“We owe each other a professional obligation. That’s it.” Tony said. “That’s all I expect from you. That’s all you’ll get from me.” Then Tony effectively ended the conversation. He got up and headed towards the restroom.

Nobody had seen Gibbs come into the bullpen. He had circled around and was standing by the back elevators, listening to the conversation. He had told Tony he would support whatever decision he made. But he was still a little surprised Tony had chosen this method to handle the situation. It was going to be strange, Tony not being Tony.

Kate and Tim then noticed Gibbs’ presence.

“Did you hear…?” Tim asked.

Gibbs nodded.

“But he can’t....” Kate replied.

“It’s his choice.” Gibbs replied.

“What does that mean?” Kate asked.

“That means you get the Tony you’ve always wanted.” Gibbs said.

TBC
Chapter End Notes:
AUTHOR’S NOTES: I thank you all, so much, for your comments and reviews. This story has been a great deal of fun to write. I am not sure when or if it will end. I am really liking the idea of the never-ending story more and more. Again, thank you all for your continued support.

This chapter will probably take some of you by surprise. I am not going to bring everybody back together and things instantly be okay. I don’t think it’s realistic and it provides for no angst. I don’t believe in putting band aids over huge, gaping wounds. I believe it’s just much better to deal with things. I just hope you like the way I have chosen. Enjoy!