- Text Size +
CHAPTER 32


AUTHOR’S NOTES: I have gotten a lot of comments about changes to Gibbs’, Abby’s, Ducky’s and Palmer’s relationship with Tony. All their relationships will stay the same. They can accept Tony as a doctor. They can see him and do see him, and accept him, as more than an uncomplicated, immature, frat boy. Tim and Kate either cannot or will not see that.


Tony came back to the bullpen just as the phone rang. Gibbs snatched it up and seconds later…. “Dead Marine, Norfolk. Grab your gear.”

Tony quickly obliged. He fell in step beside Gibbs and Tim and Kate brought up the rear.

They all loaded in the van. Gibbs drove as he filled his team in on what few details he knew. Katrina Grissom had come home to find his husband, Gunny Sergeant Tommy Grissom, dead on the floor in their kitchen. Their daughter, 6 year old Holly, had been with her mother. Both were devastated.

The rest of the drive was strangely quiet. Tony was not humming. He was not messing with the radio stations, or purposefully singing along, off-key, just to annoy them. He hadn’t even made any suggestive comments to Kate about how close she was sitting to him. He instead put his hands in his lap and looked out the window.

Team Gibbs had arrived on scene to see the house had been secured by the local LEOs. Katrina ‘Kat’ was outside, in her driveway, talking to an officer. The daughter was nowhere to be seen. Kat had taken her to a neighbor’s house.

At the scene Tony got out quickly. He headed towards the first officer he saw and flashed his badge. The officer nodded as Tony ducked under the tape and entered the residence. And it was all done without a word. Tim and Kate followed closely behind, looked at each other and shaking their heads. Gibbs had given them their assignments before they had even gotten to the scene. He would be outside, interviewing the family.

The three of them worked in silence several minutes. It was an uneasy silence, well; at least it was for Tim and Kate. Tony didn’t seem to be at all different in his demeanor. He just wasn’t talking.

Tim had been given the task of taking pictures. The scene was small and relatively contained. The kitchen being small and ‘u’ shaped. It made for tight quarters, but easy collection.

“Finished, Tony.” Tim said as he snapped his last picture.

Tony just looked up at him and then back down at his sketch.

“I am too.” Kate replied. She was also awaiting further directions.

Tony looked up again, just as Ducky and Palmer entered.

“A left on Preston Drive, Mr. Palmer, I said make a left.” Ducky said, shaking his head.

“But, Dr., the GPS said….” Palmer tried to explain.

“Mr. Palmer, I know this city. I lived here once, for more years than YOU have been alive. And certainly longer than you’re your two toms have been in existence.”

“Two Toms, Ducky?” Tony asked smiling.

“My tomtom.” Palmer explained. “I was just trying it out.”

“Mr. Palmer…” Ducky said, kneeling down to examine the body. “...had we followed those directions, we would have driven right into the Chesapeake Bay.”

“It has some kinks in the programing.” Palmer stated.

“Yeah, I guess so.” Tony laughed.

Tim and Kate watched Tony’s interaction with Ducky and Palmer. It was the same as always. But Tony had not responded to their statement earlier. And they could detect a definite…chill in the air.

“Tony…” Tim started again.

“Find. Gibbs.” Tony said in a tone that left no room for discussion. Gibbs would tell them what to do next. He was not involved.

Kate and Tim went outside to find Gibbs.

Tony carried the bagged evidence out of the house behind Ducky and Palmer, as they maneuvered the stretcher which carried the body. Soon they were all back at NCIS. Abby was up to her neck in evidence. And Ducky and Palmer were busy at work in Autopsy.

Meanwhile Team Gibbs was at work upstairs and it was unusually quiet. Everyone knew Tony was back by now. But they all kept coming by and looking to make sure. They didn’t hear him. Even the director had come out of his office and stared down at them. He was so unaccustomed to the quiet.

As the week went on Tim and Kate tried to make Tony talk to them about ANYTHING besides work. But nothing worked. Tony didn’t fall for Kate’s ringing phone on her desk. He didn’t get up to see who was calling. Nothing she said to him or about him got a response. Tim also tried. He brought in his costume for one of the conventions. Tim put the open bag down beside his desk on the floor. It was in full view of Tony from his desk. But if Tony saw it, he gave no sign.


NCIS NCIS NCIS


“You’re driving them crazy.” Gibbs said as his visitor descended the stairs then took a seat in his accustomed space.

“They got what they asked for, Gibbs.” Tony replied. “Not my fault they don’t like it.”

Gibbs smiled as he continued to sand. It he was wholly honest with himself. He was taking a little bit of pleasure out of the frustration.

“At least you’re getting some chuckles out of the whole thing.” Tony stated.

Gibbs opened his mouth to speak.

“I’ve watched you, Boss. Don’t deny it.”

“Okay, there have been some…moments.” Gibbs admitted.

“Can you believe, Kate bringing in her cell phone? Then her leaving it on the desk, and every time she leaves, it rings. Come on!” Tony replied. “Then Tim…with that blue cookie monster-looking-outfit thing he brought in. And not so subtly sat it down beside his desk, making sure I would see it.”

“That’s what’s funny.” Gibbs said.

“They’re getting EXACTLY what they asked for, Gibbs.” Tony replied. “I liked those two. I wanted to be their friends. Why is that such a bad thing?”

“They wonder what everybody else does….Why do you play down your intelligence?”

Tony shook his head. “Because people who look like me and play sports, can’t be smart. I’m a jock. I was labeled that in college. I even carried it through med school, and I didn’t even play sports then. And when I graduated, it was not Tony graduated med school. It was the jock graduated.”


Gibbs laid his sand paper on the bench and joined Tony on the stairs.

“Then when I came to NCIS, I…I saw how to use it to my advantage. Disarm people with the dumb, goofy, frat boy, jock routine. But that’s all it was, Gibbs. That’s all it is. It’s a routine.”

Tony shifted his gaze from his hands, to Gibbs’ face. “You see it. Abby sees it. Ducky…. Hell, even Palmer….” Why not…?’ Tony shook his head again.

“You’re asking the wrong person.” Gibbs said, simply.

“I know. I guess I’m a little afraid of the right person’s answer.” Tony admitted.

Gibbs and Tony sat in silence for a few moments.

“What number rule do you have for that?” Tony asked.

“Don’t need one.” Gibbs replied. “Everybody knows I’m a bastard…nothing to hide.”


TBC