- Text Size +
Chapter 36

Tim had been waiting all morning for a few moments alone with Tony. And now with Kate in the lab with Abby and Gibbs in MTAC, Tim had his chance.

"Tony." Tim called to Tony who was working on writing a report.

Tony looked up, and then went back to his work.

"Tony!" Tim called again.

"What is it, McGee?"

"We need to talk."

"The case is over. Gibbs is wrapping things up right now."

"This isn't about the case." Tim replied.

"Than what case is it about?"

"No case, Tony. This is not about a case."

Tim waited for a response, but didn't get one.

"This 'not talking' thing is…."

"…exactly what you wanted, McGee. It is EXACTLY what you wanted."

"I didn't ask you to be childish." Tim replied. "Not talking, why the hell don't you hold your breath and pout while you're at it."

The comment made Tony very angry and he was out of his chair and bending over Tim's desk, in his face in a flash. "What is your problem, McGee? Is it that…inconceivable that I am as smart as you are?" Tony paused, trying to calm himself. "Is there no place in your world for a smart DiNozzo? Or are you just that threatened?'

Tim scoffed, huffing out a breath.

"You asked me to be professional, Agent McGee. You wanted me to stop teasing you. I did. You wanted me to stop with the nicknames. I did that, too." Tony replied. "I don't see where or how it's childish. It's how you interact with co-workers." Tony straightened back up and returned to his desk and took a seat.

It dawned on him then. Tony was not being childish to get back at them. He was treating him as he would someone he just considered a co-worker. The rationalization wounded him.

"Co-worker, that's all I am to you, a co-worker?"

"We're not friends, Agent McGee, what else would I call you?"

Tim shook his head. This conversation was not, at all, going like he had planned. He had not wanted to fight with Tony. But, he had, in all honesty, thrown the first punch.

"I'm sorry. The childish thing was way out of line. You're right. I'm just having a little trouble wrapping my mind around it all. It's like you're two different people sharing the same body." Tim explained.

"You know, for a smart guy, you're pretty damned stupid." Tony stated.

Tim just stared at him.

"Do you spout 'computer geek' to everybody you meet? Is that all your life is?"

"It's not the same thing, Tony. You act like that all the time."

"Ahh." Tony got up and walked over to Tim's desk. "Key word: Act. I act. Don't you get it?"

When Tim didn't speak, Tony continued.

"If that's all it was would I still be working for Gibbs?"

Tim shook his head.

"If that's all it was, would the director have trusted me to go undercover AND run the team?

Tim shook his head, again.

"I trained you for this job, Tim. How would you have fared in Gibbs' Forensic Boot Camp?"

Tim had visions of shaved heads and of bench-pressing cadavers. He shuddered and shook his head. "Not well."

"Would I have been able to train you and Kate to be agents? Let's face it. Gibbs could not and would not train you. He doesn't have the time or the patience. That was my job. That act, as you call, it is what the both of you needed to loosen and lighten up. Kate was too tense and you were too timid. All Gibbs had to do was speak to you, and you nearly jumped out of your skin."

Tim opened his mouth to protest. But it was true, Abby had told him. Tony had just confirmed it.

"So why do you still….?" Tim asked.

"Because it's fun..." Tony paused. "…and because nobody has stood up to me and told me to stop."

"That's it?" Tim asked. He had never thought just asking him like that would work. "That's all I need to do?"

Tony nodded.

Tim got up and walked over to Tony's desk. He cleared his throat. "I really dislike the nicknames, Tony. I do appreciate you trying to get me to lighten up. And I really appreciate your taking the time to train me that way you did. You're right. Gibbs' method would have been a disaster. I'm sorry for underestimating you. I'm sorry I got stuck on an image, a stereotype of a person, and that is all I saw. All I tried to see. But Tony, with all that said, I really, really hate the nicknames."

Tony nodded and smiled. "Understood…Tim."

"That's it?" Tim asked.

"Well…." Tony said drawing it out. "…I…the super glue? The paper wads?"

"No more super glue."

Tony bowed his head, disappointed.

"But, the paper's okay…occasionally."

Tony looked up and smiled.

A short time later Tim could not help but smile as he was bombarded by a barrage of waded up pieces of paper. He didn't look up, but deposited them all in the waste basket beside his desk. He then returned to his work

TBC