- Text Size +
Chapter 4

Gibbs was not used to the ‘stake out.’ He had been sitting in his car for hours. He shifted his weight in the seat. And he was beginning to truly regret drinking that last cup of coffee. He had followed Tony home from work. He was using a neighbor’s car, knowing Tony would recognize his. He drove it to work, knowing he would want to start following Tony as soon as he left NCIS. He had pulled in and parked out of the range of Tony’s windows. But close enough to still see Tony if he left his apartment. He groaned and shifted again, anxious for something to happen to take his mind off his current misery.

Gibbs was soon rewarded. But he was also puzzled. What kind of date would Tony go on dressed in a t-shirt and jeans? Gibbs shook his head. He started his car and pulled out into traffic following two cars behind Tony.

Tony knew the car Gibbs was in. He had needed to go and get something out of Gibbs car. And Gibbs' car, like his house, was never locked. But there was a strange car parked in his space. Well, it was not HIS space; there were no assigned spaces, per se. But everyone knew where Gibbs parked and nobody dared park there. So, when Tony saw the exact same car following him from his apartment, he smiled into his rearview mirror. Tony smiled again when he realized what he was wearing. Gibbs would be completely clueless. Tony was so glad that this job required him to change into scrubs at work. He knew the jeans and t-shirt had Gibbs scratching his head big time.

And the chase was on. Tony lead Gibbs into Maryland. He then decided to lose him. He made a quick turn onto a side street. Gibbs followed. He made a couple more turns that took him in the opposite direction of the hospital. He doubled back a couple times. He laughed out loud, the last time, when he saw that Gibbs was actually now 3 cars in front of him. Tony watched Gibbs make his turn and then Tony turned in the opposite direction. He drove down a few more side streets to make sure he lost Gibbs before he finally made his way to the hospital parking lot.

NCIS NCIS NCIS

Tony quickly changed into his scrubs and began his shift. Friday night passed quickly, the normal teenage drivers and fender benders. He was home by midnight. Tony was then scheduled to work a double shift; Saturday night and Sunday morning.

“Dr. DiNozzo to Trauma 3. Dr. DiNozzo, Trauma 3.” The intercom blared.

Tony ran down the hall to the room. He stopped short in the doorway. Looking from the size, there had to be a child, somewhere, under all that blood. He let out the breath he had been holding. He went in and began to examine the child as the nurses cleaned her up.

“What’s your name, sweetheart?” Tony asked when he felt the 6-year-old girl’s eyes on him.

“Mama!” She moaned. “Where’s Mama?” She asked, her eyes pleading.

“Mama’s okay, Sweetie.” Tony said as he glanced into the trauma rooms around him, all buzzing with activity. He had no idea, in fact, where ‘Mama’ was or if she was even still alive. “Mama’s okay.” He repeated.

“…want my mommy.” Jessica Michelle Gibson stated, trying to sit up. The nurse easily pushed her back down onto the stretcher as Tony gently felt for broken bones in her arms and legs. He then put his stethoscope to her chest. Tony had examined the cut on her head. He still had to check her eyes. She didn’t seem to have any brain damage from that basic test. She was a lucky little girl. She had a nasty cut on her forehead. But she had been wearing a seatbelt. She was in good shape. No broken bones.

Jessica was being wheeled out of the room as a nurse in Trauma 1 got Tony’s attention.

“Tony, we need you in here.” She ducked back into the room.

The look on the nurse’s face convinced him of the seriousness of the situation. He stripped off the gloves he had been wearing and donned fresh ones. He had found Jessica’s mom. Lindsey Vernon-Gibson was pronounced dead 4 minutes later. Tony hung his head as he ripped off his gloves and tossed them into the nearest trashcan. He glanced into the next room. Jessica was watching him. Tony quickly pulled the curtain as the nurse began to remove the IVs and other tubes from Lindsey’s body. She then covered her body with a sheet.

Tony hurried into the room to be with Jessica. She had been stitched up by a medical student and Tony pulled the dressing back to examine the workmanship. The stitches looked good and he smoothed the tape back into place.

“Mama?” Jessica asked, looked up at Tony then back into the room.

Tony could tell she knew it was her mom in there. “I have to go check some things out first. Nurse Kelly is going to stay with you for the time being.” Tony said, nodding to the only nurse in the room. She nodded back. Kelly then moved to the bedside as Tony exited the room. He needed to find out of anyone else was in the car and if they survived the crash.

Lindsey and Jessica had been alone in the car. But there was a father in the picture, David. David and his son, Marcus had decided to go to his parents a few days ahead of time. Lindsey and Jessica were coming later. Lindsey had to finish her Christmas shopping and tie up a few loose ends before joining her husband. And now both children would be celebrating Christmas without their mother.

The whole situation hit home for Tony. He dropped into one of the chairs in the now nearly empty waiting room. He bowed his head, sitting like that for he didn’t know how long until he felt a tiny hand in his. Tony immediately looked up.

“Nurse Kelly told me.” Jessica said, squeezing his hand. The hospital social worker by her side. “It’s okay. Mama is an angel now.”

Tony just looked in awe at the little girl for a moment. She seemed so mature for her age. And while he knew she had no real concept of death, he loved her explanation.

Tony pulled her into a hug. He nodded. “That’s right. Mama will get to look down on you and watch you grow up.” He wasn't sure if he believed that or where he stood on the whole ‘life after death’ question. But he didn’t see any harm in going along with her on this.

Jessica just nodded. She had started to cry. She crawled up into Tony’s lap and he held her until she fell asleep. He was still holding her an hour later when her dad got there.

TBC


End Notes: I will get back to the more NCIS stuff later. I still haven’t decided how the rest of the team will find out about Tony’s secret.
Chapter End Notes:
AN: The answer IS the Beautiful and Talented MARK HARMON.
(And, yes, men can be beautiful, Mark is.)