- Text Size +
Chapter 43

"There he is." Caroline Saunders said as she spotted Agent/Doctor DiNozzo.

It has been a month since the car accident and a week since her husband had returned home from 7 months of active duty. Jerold Wayne Saunders, Cary's husband, had been anxious to meet and to thank Doctor DiNozzo, when his wife told him all that Tony had done for her and for his son.

Cary came up to Tony's desk holding her month-old son. "I don't know if you remember me. I'm sure I look a little…different."

Tony recognized her almost immediately. He nodded rose from his chair and come around the desk. Tony smiled at the little family before him.

"It's good to see you. You and the baby are doing okay?" Tony asked, concerned.

Caroline nodded. "We're fine." She paused, and then spoke again as her husband stood, silently, behind her. "It…it was hard finding you. I went to the hospital. They said you only worked weekends with them." Caroline looked around the NCIS bullpen. "They said you were here. My husband has been anxious to meet you."

Wayne Saunders stuck out his hand and introduced himself. "Gunny Sergeant Jerold Wayne Saunders nice to meet you, Sir."

Tony shook his head as he shook the sergeant's hand. "No sirs, just Tony."

Caroline handed the baby over to Tony. "He's gotten so big."

Tony nodded. He held the baby close. "He's beautiful."

"Yes, he is." Wayne agreed.

By this time the rest of Team Gibbs had gathered around to get a look at the baby.

"Sir…Tony…when my wife told me what had happened…. I am just so grateful to you." Wayne paused. "I could have lost the both of them. I just…thank you."

Tony smiled. "I'm just glad I was there."

"Well, we wanted you to know how grateful we are to you." Caroline replied. "And when Anthony grows up, he's going to know all about you."

"Anthony?" Tony asked, shocked.

"Anthony Wayne Saunders." Wayne replied. "After what you did for my wife and my boy, I didn't mind giving you top billing."

Tony smiled, but that was all he could do. For once, in his life, he was speechless.

TBC