- Text Size +
Chapter 44

AN: Thanks so much for all your comments and encouragement. I am really enjoying writing this story and I am not seeing an end in sight. Again, thanks so much for your faithfulness. I decided to post another chapter since the previous was so short. Jackie

"Boss! Stop the car!" Tony said as he reached for the handle to open the door.

"DiNozzo, what's going on?"

"Stop the car!" Tony repeated.

Gibbs did as requested, but he didn't see whatever it was Tony was seeing. He pulled the car over to the curb and before he could turn his head to look at Tony, Tony was out of the car and running, full speed, down the city sidewalk.

Gibbs opened the door and stepped out. It was only then that he saw what Tony had seen. There was a woman laying partially in the street. The rest of her body hid by the cars parked along the curb.

"McGee…" Gibbs instructed. " …9-1-1. Kate…with me." They all moved toward the scene.

Jimmy and Ducky pulled over behind Gibbs. They, also, had not seen what Tony had seen and were totally confused by Gibbs' actions.

"Jethro…?" Ducky started.

"Accident." Gibbs replied. "Tony saw it, told me to pull over, and took off."

Ducky nodded. He could see Tony clearly as he and Jimmy rushed to catch up with Gibbs.

McGee finished his call and then helped Kate as she directed traffic. Ducky and Jimmy knelt down beside the victim as Gibbs worked crowd control.

"So Doctor," Ducky asked kneeling. "…what's your diagnosis?"

"Dislocated shoulder, possible concussion…" Tony replied as he did a preliminary examination of the woman. "…abdominal bruising, possible internal bleeding, and I suspect a fractured femur."

Ducky nodded. "I concur. I suspect multiple leg fractures, Anthony."

Tony continued his first aid until the emergency personnel arrived. Tony then moved out of the way to allow them access to the patient. The police soon arrived to take over the scene and Team Gibbs was able to get back on schedule.

"Another impressive job, Anthony." Ducky said, smiling.

"Thanks, Ducky." Tony said. "Well, I hope we still have a crime scene to go to."

NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS

Tony sat down on his accustomed step and opened his beer. He sat and sipped, watching Gibbs work on his latest boat, before he spoke.

"Gibbs, Boss," Tony started. "…about today, I…."

Gibbs shook his head. "I was…so impressed. I knew you were a good agent, Tony. But you're a damn good doctor, too."

Tony ducked his head. "Thanks, Boss."

"And I know..." Gibbs continued. "…I understand why you wanted…needed to stop."

"You're not mad?" Tony asked.

Gibbs dropped his sandpaper and took a seat on the step beside Tony. He moved his hand to the back of Tony's neck and gently squeezed the nape. He smiled when Tony involuntary flinched.

"You make me proud, Tony." Gibbs stated. "I don't think I tell you that often enough."

Tony sighed. "It IS nice to hear, Boss."

Gibbs smiled. "Don't get used to it, DiNozzo."

Tony stood up and stretched. He then turned and started up the stairs.

"Everything is just where you left it." Gibbs stated, watching him go up.

Tony nodded. He stifled a yawn as he left the basement.

TBC