- Text Size +
Chapter 49


Tony looked at the bandages that still covered his shoulder. He had one more doctor’s appointment before they came off and he was waiting for Gibbs to drive him.

They were both silence for awhile in the car, until Tony asked the question that hung between them.

“What if I can’t do my job anymore?” Tony said staring out the passenger side window. “What if I can’t do my job?”

Gibbs stole a glance at Tony. His heart went out to him. And, if Gibbs were honest, it worried him also. “We haven’t heard what the doctor has to say yet.”

“He said that it hasn’t healed as fast as he had hoped, Gibbs.” Tony said shaking his head. “He said that concerned him.”

Gibbs agreed. “Yes, he did. And he also told you what to do to help speed the healing. He also told you what to do to take care of your arm.”

“Gibbs, I….”

“Stop worrying about something that is not going to happen.” Gibbs said. “You are going to be fine.”

“What if I can’t do my job?” Tony asked again, looking at Gibbs.

Gibbs didn’t say anything. Instead he put a reassuring hand to the back of Tony’s neck and squeezed the nape. He then patted Tony on the back. Gibbs was afraid of the answer to that question, too, especially if they got the wrong one.



NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS



Tony’s desk looked like a Hallmark store had exploded on it. He had cards, flowers, and several boxes of candy and a couple of teddy bears waiting for him when he got into the bullpen. They were all wishing him well, and hoping for a speedy recovery. He sat down at his desk and read each card. He looked over each present. He would have a lot of thank you messages to write when his arm healed enough. He smiled broadly when he saw the teddy bear wearing a studded collar.

“He’s a stress bear.” Abby said. She had been waiting for Tony to come into the office, and had arrived early so that she could spend a little time with him.

“What?” Tony looked up, surprised he had a visitor. He stood up and allowed Abby to give him one of her monster hugs.

“He’s a stress bear.” Abby said picking the bear up and demonstrating. She hugged it tightly to her chest. “If you’re feeling stress, just hug him. It’ll make you feel better.”

“I’d rather hug you.” Tony replied, holding onto her a little longer.

“How did your doctor’s visit go?” Abby asked.

“…gave me the ‘all clear.’” Tony replied.

“Then what’s going on?” Abby asked. “What’s wrong?”

“My shoulder is still sore.” Tony replied. “I…I can’t do a lot.”

“Give it time to heal.” Abby stated.

“It’s had months.”

“It takes however long it takes, Tony.” Abby said. “You can’t rush those things. Besides, we all want you back, 100%”

Tony smiled and kissed her cheek. “Thank you.”

Gibbs walked in about that time, early as usual. “I went by your place….” Gibbs started.

“I just…I needed….” Tony started, trying to explain.

Gibbs nodded. “It’s okay, Tony.” He understood Tony needed some time and space.

Tony just looked at his boss. He was not known as someone who was patient or understanding. But Tony appreciated his consideration on this one.

“You’ve got your psych eval, and we’re going out on the shooting range.” Gibbs stated.

“My arm’s not….” Tony started.

“We’re going to see how you do with your left hand.” Gibbs explained.



NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS



The psychological evaluation did not take long, and it was not time before he was out on the range. Tony, in the past,had some trouble with his left hand shooting, but not much. He had practiced a little, whenever he had come out on the range, surprised he had such good aim. He tried it now, but his aim was off, completely missing the target at times. He was nervous, scared as hell his whole career rested on what he was doing at this very moment. He put down his gun and sighed.

“Boss, I can’t do this. I don’t know what happened.” Tony explained.

“Your career does not depend on what you do here today, Tony.” Gibbs replied.

“It feels like it does. If I can’t shoot with my left hand, and I’m not sure I will be able to use my right, it sure as hell does.” Tony turned and began to walk away.

“Tony!” Gibbs called, after him, following him to the parking lot.


TBC

END NOTE: I know, bad FF writer. I just needed to put a little more angst in there. I will ‘resolve’ it next chapter.