- Text Size +
Chapter 5

“Good morning.” Tony said as he dropped his backpack at its custom spot. He then turned his attention to Tim. “McGee I have a plate I need you to run.” Tony said, handing Tim a piece of paper.

Tim looked over at Gibbs. Gibbs’ phone hadn’t rung at all this morning.

“It’s not a case.” Tony told Tim, avoiding Gibbs’ gaze on purpose. “It was strange. I just got the impression I was being followed Friday night.”

“Tony, if it’s not a case….” Gibbs said, knowing he had been caught.

“Just want to check it out, Gibbs.” Tony said. He was smiling as he turned his head and looked at him. “No harm in that…is there?”

Gibbs stood up. “DiNozzo. Elevator.” Gibbs said leading the way. Tony obediently followed.

Both men were quiet for a moment after the doors closed and Gibbs flipped the switch. Tony just continued to smile.

Tony then began to explain. “I left my sunglasses in your car about a month ago. I finally figured out where they were. Imagine my surprise when I came down to the parking garage Friday to get them.”

Gibbs shook his head. He couldn’t help but smile. “You knew.”

“Of course.” Tony said. “Who’s car is it?”

“Next-door neighbor.” Gibbs admitted. “Why don’t you just tell me, Tony?” Gibbs asked. “You know I don’t like my people keeping secrets.”

“I’m entitled to a private life, Gibbs.”

“Yes, you are. You most definitely are. But being out partying and womanizing…. Tony, it’s just…irresponsible.” Gibbs said.

Gibbs’ words stung. “I’m not a child, Gibbs. And you aren’t my father.” Tony said. “I do my job, and I do it very well.”

Gibbs immediately regretted his words. “Tony, I…I didn’t….”

Tony just shook his head. He flipped the switch and then turned towards the door.

Gibbs grabbed Tony by the arm. “I’m sorry, Tony.”

Tony didn’t turn and look.

“That came out wrong.” Gibbs confessed in a manner very unlike him. “Anthony, I know how good you are at your job. But…I have noticed a change.”

“It’s okay Gibbs.” Tony said, his anger lessening at Gibbs’ genuine concern. “I’m okay.”

“I want to believe you, Tony.” Gibbs stated. “I really do. But you’ve been looking so tired lately.” Gibbs paused. “I don’t….If you’re sick again…I know you can have a relapse with the Plague, Tony. I read the research extensively. And if you’re not telling me….” Gibbs said, ending his statement as a threat, just as he had intended.

Tony smiled and Gibbs did feel somewhat reassured. “I…it’s not that I am keeping a big secret, Gibbs. It’s not even that I care that you know. I just…I like having a part of my life that is truly private. I like being able…you know everything about everything, Boss. It’s just nice that you know nothing about this.”

“So…you’re not sick?” Gibbs asked.

Tony shook his head. “I’m not sick.”

“This is a good thing…for you?” Gibbs asked.

“Yes, it is.”

“I’m not going to be pissed off you kept this from me?” Gibbs inquired.

“Surprised, yes. Amazing, definitely.” Tony replied. “But you will not be pissed.”

Gibbs smiled. “You understand this will not keep me from trying to find out.”

Tony shook his head and smiled too. “I would expect no less, Boss.”

TBC