- Text Size +
Chapter 50


AN: Fair warning guys, this chapter is going to be OOC for Gibbs and Tony. But, I think, with Tony struggling with his injury, it’s warranted. For those of you who don’t know ‘UVA’ is University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia, and ‘Duke’ is Duke University in Durham, North Carolina. Both have excellent medical schools and hospital facilities. Enjoy!





Tony was almost to Gibbs’ car before Gibbs was able to stop him, grabbing his good arm.

“DiNozzo…Tony…it’s going to be okay.”

Tony shook his head and tried to gently pull away. But Gibbs wouldn’t let go.

“It’s gonna be okay, Tony.”

Tony didn’t say anything, but when he looked up at Gibbs again, there were tears in his eyes.

“There is no crying at the shooting range, DiNozzo.” Gibbs said in a mocking, serious tone, trying to make Tony smile. It worked.

“Look, we’ll go back to my place, drink some beer, order some pizza, and talk about it.” Gibbs said putting his hand on Tony’s back and guiding him towards the car.

“Is that the solution to life’s problems…beer and pizza?” Tony asked.

Gibbs shook his head. “That’s your solution, mine’s bourbon and boats.”

Gibbs and Tony had settled into a comfortable silence. They had both eaten a few slices of pizza.

“I don’t like not knowing what is going to happen here. I could…I think, live with not being able to be a doctor, or not being an agent. But I don’t think I can live with not being able to do both. I just….” Tony shook his head.

“That’s not going to be an issue, Tony.” Gibbs replied.

Tony just stared at Gibbs.

“Why do you always have to go ‘over’ obstacles? Why can’t you just go around them?” Gibbs asked. “There is more than one way to do anything.”

“But the doctor said….”

“You’ll go to another doctor.” Gibbs suggested.

“It doesn’t ‘feel’ right.” Tony confessed.

“Are you an orthopedist…neurologist?”

Tony shook his head.

“Then we go to another doctor.”

“I can’t just keep going to doctors ‘till I find one who tells me what I want to hear.” Tony replied.

“But….”

Tony shook his head. “No, buts here…I may…I may have to find out if there is life out there past this job…past…you.”

“DiNozzo, how many times do I have to tell you? You are not going to get rid of me that easily. I’m here.” Gibbs slung his arm over Tony’s shoulder.

Tony looked at him smiled.

“What’s wrong with a second opinion?” Gibbs asked.

“I am the second opinion, the built-in second opinion.”

“No wonder doctors make rotten patients, all that gloom and doom.” Gibbs said standing.

Both men fell silent for a few moments.

“What did Ducky say?”

“Same as you…everything will be fine…blah, blah, blah.” Tony replied.

Gibbs just looked at him.

“I just don’t want the false hope. I don’t think I can take that kind of let-down.” Tony explained.

“Look, give it another couple weeks…we’ll go back to Bethesda, we’ll go to UVA, Duke….” Gibbs said, there are other options, specialists.


NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS


Tony lowered his weapon. He smiled as he pushed the button in his booth, and his target came flying towards him.

Gibbs stepped in and watched as Tony admired his precision.

Tony shook his head. “…didn’t think it was gonna happen, Gibbs.” Tony said as he stood, still looking at the target. He had made a total of 5 shots. Three dead-center of the chest and 2 in the head, all were in the designated target zones. It had been two weeks and he was qualifying now, for real.

Gibbs smiled. He was seeing his old agent now, the cocky young man he had hired so many years ago. He was glad, so glad, that that Tony was back.

“Ya did good, DiNozzo.” Gibbs replied. “This calls for a celebration.”

“Gibbs, contrary to…popular opinion, bourbon and boats in your basement does not constitute a celebration…except, maybe, to you.”

Gibbs smiled. “I had something else in mind.” Gibbs said as he and Tony left the building and headed for Gibbs’ car.

“What do you have in mind?” Tony said as he and Gibbs got in.

“Don’t worry, DiNozzo.”

“Can’t you tell me where we’re going?” Tony asked.

Gibbs shook his head as they pulled out of the parking lot. Gibbs just smiled and drove as he imagined the thoughts running through Tony’s head.

They drove in silence for a few moments until Tony realized that they were, indeed, going to Gibbs’ house. Tony tried to hide his disappointment as Gibbs parked the car in his deserted driveway. Tony sat for a second as Gibbs got out and made his way to his door. Gibbs stopped on the porch and waited for Tony to join him.

“What?” Tony said, pausing before going up.

Gibbs didn’t respond.

“You never wait for me. You usually go right on in. What’s going on?”

Tony waited for Gibbs to answer. He didn’t say a word.

“Gibbs?” Tony paused again. “Gibbs…?” Tony said casing nervous glances at Gibbs’ front door.

“Look,” Gibbs said. “…your friends wanted to surprise you. They knew you would pass the test. They knew you would be okay. They wanted to…celebrate. They wanted to have a party.” Gibbs explained. “And in a moment of weakness, with Abby begging me, I offered my place.” Gibbs paused. “Now, get in there and act surprised, or I will shoot you myself.”

Tony walked in first…Gibbs went in seconds later.

TBC