- Text Size +
Chapter 8

AN: Thanks so much for all your reviews. Sorry for the short chapter, but I plan to update again over weekend. -J

Kate did not feel or see the presence in her doorway for a few moments. She then turned to see a tall man wearing blue scrubs and a white lab coat. She could not help but stare.

"Doctor DiNozzo." Kate said shaking her head.

"That'd be me." Tony said as he entered the room and took a seat in the chair by the bed.

"I thought I was hallucinating…." Kate confessed.

"I know." Tony said, and a slightly uncomfortable silence followed. "Have you talked to Dr. Patterson?"

"Don't change the subject on me, Tony." Kate responded. "I…I'm not even sure that to say here."

"I know what you want to know." Tony said. "Why didn't I tell you? And it's really simple, Kate. You wouldn't have believed me. You don't think I'm smart enough to be a doctor and you wouldn't have believed me."

Kate just sat and stared. But she had to admit, it was true. Kate wanted to tell Tony that that was not fair. But that, also, was not the case. "I…." Kate started. "I know you are a smart guy. I know you are a caring person too. I am a profiler, Tony, in case you forgot. I…I did a profile on you early on. And I have to admit, I was all wrong. I went with the guy you presented to me. And yes, I did believe you weren't too smart. I admit it. I had to wonder why Gibbs kept you around. But then…I….I looked deeper. I found the person you really are. I got past the person you pretend to be. But I couldn't let you know any different, Tony. I couldn't figure out why or what you were hiding. But I did figure out you were hiding." Kate looked at him. "I wanted to respect your privacy."

"I'm glad you took the time to look, Kate."

"Me too, Tony." Kate said. "So, how long have you been Anthony DiNozzo, MD?" She asked, smiling.

TBC