- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs death and the toll it takes on one team member
Chapter 5“DiNozzo this is a private meeting. What the Hell is wrong with you?”
Tony didn't give Vance's visitor even a glance he was to worried about McGee.

“It's McGee, Director he's not here and this isn't like him. He's been really depressed and distraught over Gibbs death.” Tony continued before Vance could interupt him. “ Ducky gave him a prescription for some sleeping pills and we think he might have tried to kill himself.”
Vance's visitor jumped to his feet,turned and looked at DiNozzo. Tony recognized the man instantly.
“Gibbs is that really you?” Tony exclaimed.

“ Yes Tony its really me.” Slapping the senior agent across the back of the head.
“Now what's this about McGee?” Vance interrupted bringing DiNozzo back to reality.

“ Director we think he might of overdosed on the sleeping pills that Ducky had given him. He's been really depressed and distraught over Gibbs death. I sent Ducky and Ziva to check on him and I already called an ambulance just in case. I wanted to let you know the situation.”
Gibbs stormed out of the office and down to the bullpen not even stopping for the elevator. He just ran to the back stairs and took them two at a time. Just as Gibbs reached his car the Director and DiNozzo came down in the elevator.
“It's good to have you back Boss.” Tony called as Gibbs threw open the car door.
“It isn't if it costs McGee his life.” Gibbs yelled as he slammed the car door.

Driving like a maniac Gibbs could think of nothing else but reaching McGee in time. Arriving at McGee's apartment building Gibbs raced up the stairs to his apartment. Only to be stopped by the sight of the paramedics loading Tim into an ambulance.
Gibbs started shouting for Ducky and Ziva as he tore threw the apartment searching for the two of them. Finally stopping as he saw them in the bedroom sitting in front of McGee's laptop.

“Ducky how is Tim?” Gibbs asked the fear evident in his voice.
Both looked up in shocked surprise at the sound of Gibbs voice.
“Gibbs is that you?” They both asked in unison.
“Yes it's me. Now what about McGee?” Gibbs growled his frustration showing in his voice.
“ He is going to be fine. We got to him in time. Thanks to Tony's fast acting and thinking” Ducky explained.
Before Jethroe could ask Ducky told him, “ Bethesda Jethroe. But before you go there is something you need to read on Tim's computer.”
“I don't have time Ducky. I have to get to Tim.”
“No Jethroe you need to read this first. I know that it invades our young man's privacy but it explains an awful lot and before you see him you need to know what drove him to do this.” The look in Ducky's eyes and his tone of voice told Gibbs not to argue with his old friend but to do as he was instructed. Something about what Ducky wasn't saying made him stop and decide maybe his old friend was right.

“Ziva lets leave Jethroe alone and give him some privacy. Why don't we wait for the Director and Tony downstairs.” Ducky said as he guided her towards the bedroom door.
Gibbs took their place on the bed in front of McGee's computer. As he slowly read the words in front of him his heart broke and he could not contain his tears any longer.
As Ducky and Ziva moved out the door, Ducky turned to close the door and saw his young friend doing what no one had ever seen him. In all the years Ducky had known Gibbs he had never seen the man cry or lose control of his emotions until now. Not even when he heard about Shannon and Kelly. It told him that Timothy meant a lot to Gibbs and no one since Shannon and Kelly had touched his heart and soul like McGee had done.
Ducky closed the door softly leaving the younger man to his private hell and pain. Descending the stairs he heard the heated argument and the anger in Ziva's voice.
“Good morning Director, Tony. Its good to see you.”

“Ducky I was just trying to explain to agents DiNozzo and David that Gibbs death was faked to keep you all safe. Gibbs was receiving death threats and so we came up with the idea to fake his death so we could catch the man. Now before you all jump the gun we couldn't tell you or let you in on it because we had to make sure that this assassin was really convinced that he was dead. Or the whole operation might have been blown. The only person we allowed Gibbs to tell was his father because we needed his help in getting this set up. That was the reason for the closed casket his dad insisted on it. Before you all ask no Gibbs was not happy about this and didn't want to do it but I ordered him to do it. I was afraid that this guy would come after his team to get to Gibbs. After the graveside service the assassin come to the grave and put 6 bullet holes in the casket just to make sure Gibbs was dead.

That was when we caught him. He thought the cemetery was closed and we grabbed him before he could get away. That is why Gibbs was being brought back in today. I hope that answers all your questions for now. Where is Gibbs anyway? I thought he would be here by now?”

“He's upstairs Director. Just so you understand you may have well destroyed to of your best agents lives with your little stunt. Now I want it understood that under no circumstances is Gibbs to be disturbed. You will not interrogate him nor will you ask him questions of any kind. He will talk to you when he is ready but right now he needs his privacy more than you need answers. He has a lot to think about. Do not attempt to go up and see him. When he comes down if he wishes to talk he will other wise do not attempt to talk to him or detain him in any way. Do I make myself perfectly clear and understood by you all.” The look on Ducky's face and the tone of his voice left no room for argument. They all nodded in agreement.
“ Now if you all will excuse me I have a patient to attend to at the hospital.” Ducky said as he turned and left the building headed to the hospital to take care of a very sick agent.
“What was that all about Ziva?” Tony asked.
“Tony for once in your life shut up. You are to stay out of it. You are not to question Gibbs or McGee about this. You are not to joke about it. You are not to ever mention this incident again to anyone. That goes for you both. If I find out that you have discussed this or even made a reference to it in anyway I will kill you both. Do you both understand this?” Ziva asked with venom and anger in her voice.

Both men nodded in understanding. Both knowing that Ziva didn't make idol threats but would carry them out. No one was going to hurt her little brother again. Now all she had to do was make sure a certain lab rat would never ask, question, or bring the subject up to Gibbs or McGee. This was going to be tough considering Abby was hard to keep secrets. But she would understand. Ziva would make her understand.