- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Not a spoiler title. This title comes from something Gibbs says in the story itself. Not a medical professional, I just know how to use enough of the words correctly to make me sound like one. If there are things that seem impossible or improbable in this story, I accept that they are. I just said things they way I said them to make my story, aka literary license. All that aside, the story is good. (I’m not bragging. I just like it better than some others I have written.) ENJOY! Comments feed the starving artist/writer in me!!
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs kills Ari and Kate lives to tell the tale. Major HurtTony, no Ziva.
ROAD KILL

It was only 3 minutes before Tony opened his eyes. He looked around and tried to pull himself into a sitting position. It was then that he realized the extent of his injuries. His head was throbbing and his chest burned. He didn’t think anything was broken. He put his hand to the side of his head; he pulled it away slowly looking at the blood on his hand. His vision cleared slowly and he saw Kate lying 5 feet from him.

“Kate... KATE!” Tony tried to yell the second time, only it came out as a hoarse gasp. Kate appeared to be uninjured, but she was not moving.

Tony then heard the unmistakable sound of gasoline igniting. He looked back over his shoulder at the huge black pile of twisted metal that used to be their car, about 20 feet away. He crawled the few feet to Kate and pulled her into his arms as much as he could. Seconds later the car exploded, sending smoke high into the air. Debris fell all around them. Tony was pelted on his back and legs by small hot pieces of metal. The metal burned easily through his NCIS jacket and the thin material of the white dress shirt he was wearing, burning him in several spots on his back. His legs fared much better, as the denim material of his jeans did not burn easily. Tony lost consciousness as the last of the debris fell, scorching the area around them. Kate received only a couple of small burns on her legs. The only part of her Tony was unable to cover completely with his body.

Gibbs, Tim and Ducky arrived moments later, unaware who was involved in the wreck. They had heard the explosion first hand and were coming to investigate and offer help. Gibbs had followed the source of the smoke in the air. He parked directly opposite a set of skid marks, which led off road and over the side of a steep embankment. Jimmy followed closely in the NCIS van and parked directly behind Gibbs.

“Gibbs!” Tim said already out of the car and standing on the edge of the embankment looking down. "I see a black car. It's still smoking and I think I see two people.” This galvanized Tim to move and he made his slowly and carefully down the embankment. Gibbs remained on the roadside. He quickly called the ambulance. Ducky moved as quickly as he could, following Tim. But the terrain was rough.

“This looks like a government car, but I can’t see the license plate.” Ducky observed, stopping briefly to examine the car.

By this time Tim had worked his way past the car and was headed to the two people lying in the tall grass about 20 feet away.

“GIBBS!!” Tim yelled, and he took off running. “0MG.”

Ducky looked up when he heard Tim running. The reason hit him. Now he was close enough to read the lettering on the back of Tony’s jacket.

“Its Anthony and Caitlyn!” Ducky yelled up to Gibbs.

Gibbs, who had been slowly making his way to the accident site, picked up the pace. He moved quickly though the low bushes and briars, which tore at his pants and jacket.

Tim fell to his knees beside Tony panting. He pressed his fingers to Tony’s neck and found a pulse. “Tony?” Tim asked, shaking his shoulder. McGee got no response. He removed Tony’s arm from around Kate and rolled him onto his back. He checked Tony’s pulse again.

Kate began to stir when Tim moved Tony’s arm. She moaned softly and put her hand to her head. She opened her eyes and tried to sit up. Ducky was on the scene by then. “Lie down Caitlyn, let me examine you.” Ducky quickly flashed the penlight in her eyes. Her reaction was normal. Ducky did a preliminary exam and after observing blood on her blouse, examined her to see if she was injured. The blood turned out to be Tony’s. He then told her to lie still until the ambulance came.

The left side of Tony’s face was covered with blood. The front of his shirt was soaked in blood and he had large black and deep purple bruises on his chest. They were about the shape and size of a steering wheel.

Ducky knelt down beside Tony. He wiped the blood from Tony’s face in order to check his head wound. “I would guess he has a concussion. He has some bad bruising under all this blood” Ducky moved to Tony’s side, He gently palpated Tony’s ribs. “I would estimate a couple of his ribs are cracked, if not broken. I believe, by the markings on his chest,...” Ducky pointed to the circular bruise. “…that he came into contact with the steering wheel. That means his airbag didn’t deploy.”

Three EMTs arrived moments later. They confirmed Ducky’s preliminary diagnosis, for the most part. They then carried Tony up the hill on a stretcher made especially for hilly terrain.

By this time, Kate had sat up. “Oh god! I had hoped I had dreamed it all, but then I saw the blood on Tony’s face.” She paused, trying to collect herself. “Somebody ran us off the road.”

TBC
Chapter End Notes:
Not a spoiler title. This title comes from something Gibbs says in the story itself. Not a medical professional, I just know how to use enough of the words correctly to make me sound like one. If there are things that seem impossible or improbable in this story, I accept that they are. I just said things they way I said them to make my story, aka literary license.

All that aside, the story is good. (I’m not bragging. I just like it better than some others I have written.) ENJOY!

Comments feed the starving artist/writer in me!!