- Text Size +
EPILOGUE

AN: There is an itsy, bitsy, tiny bit of ‘Tate’ if you squint really, really hard and hop around on your left leg. ENJOY!

Tony stepped into the elevator and leaned back against the wall. He closed his eyes for just a moment before hitting the button that would take him to his desired floor. He was tired, no…not really tired. He felt like he was still in a stupor from all the drugs. And he felt twinges of pain in his chest. He hoped the twinges remained just that. He hated to have to take the medicine at work. It kept him from thinking clearly.

Kate was following close behind Tony. She knew Tony was supposed to come back to work today, but still, she was surprised to see him there. She picked up her pace, hoping to get on the elevator before the doors closed.

Tony had not seen Kate and was surprised to see her step onto the elevator, a little out of breath.

Kate looked at her partner, leaning back against the wall his hand rested, somewhat protectively over his ribs. “Are you okay?”

Tony nodded, but didn’t open his eyes.

“You’re sure?”

Tony nodded again. This time opening his eyes and looking at her.

Kate didn’t look convinced, but she didn’t ask any more questions. “It’s been really quiet.”

Tony looked at her for a moment. “Aww, you missed me.” He said smiling.

“Life is definitely boring without you around.” Kate looked at him thoughtfully. “And I wanted to thank you…again.”

Kate put her arms around Tony and gently hugged him. They stood there, quietly for a few moments.

“Agent Todd, do I need to use my weapon on you?” Tony asked.

Kate looked up into Tony smiling face. She smiled back and released him, stepping back.

“No, Agent DiNozzo, rule 12 is still intact.”

Tony spoke, just before the doors opened. “So, do we go with the old standard?” Tony paused. “And you’re welcome.”

Kate nodded. She stepped forward just as the doors closed. “You’re a pig!” She said it loud enough to be heard by most in the immediate area.

Tony was close behind. “So, it is true! I knew it!”

Gibbs smiled and nodded. He was glad to have his team back. But on some days he could swear he was only a ‘nap time’ and a few coloring books away from running a daycare center.

THE END

END NOTES: In case the ‘old standard’ confused you, I have just thought that maybe the antagonism is just for show. Not that there is any romantic involvement. (Sorry, Tate lovers ) Just that they really are friends and honestly do like each other. They are just acting that way for fun, and because it is what is expected.

I seem to remember a very similar episode (not sure which one) where this played out and Kate called Tony a pig. He responded very similarly to what I have written here.