- Text Size +
Chapter 3

Kate started from the beginning…

“Tony,” Kate said, looking at him irritated. “You obviously wrote the directions down wrong.”

“I know what the guy said, Kate.” Tony shot a glare her way. “I wrote it down EXACTLY like he said. Besides, we can always back track.” Tony paused. “Read the directions again.”

Kate looked at the paper again which contained Tony’s handwritten directions. “Take Route 21 out of DC 6 miles. Turn left on Kensey Road, go 2 miles, turn right onto Bordon Street, building on right.”

“Why didn’t he tell me how far to go on Bordon?” Tony slowed the car and began looking for signs of civilization, there were none.

“You SURE you heard the directions right?” Kate asked, she was suddenly feeling nervous.

“Yes.” Tony said. “Something’s not right here.”

Just then, Tony looked in the rearview mirror and saw a car speeding up behind them.

“There is a car coming up on us really fast, Tony.” Kate said, looking out her side mirror.

“I know. I’ll slow down more and let him pass.” Tony slowed considerably, but the car stayed on his bumper.

“Teenagers out messing around.” Kate said.

“Maybe, but I can’t see in the windshield, it’s tinted.” Tony repeatedly glanced into his rearview.

“There is a drop on my side and a hill on your side. This is no place to play ‘chicken.” Kate observed.

The car behind them rammed the back of Tony’s car. Tony managed to retain control of the car. He began looking for a side road.

“Do you see any side road?” Tony asked stepping on the gas. The other car sped up also and remained a foot from Tony’s bumper.

“No.” Kate said, looking desperately for an escape route. She checked her seat belt and put her hand on the dash to steady herself. “I don’t think these are teenagers.”

Just then the car swerved from behind them and pulled up alongside. It rammed Tony’s side of the car. Tony fought, retained control and stomped on the gas. They shot ahead.

“Unhook your seatbelt.” Tony said to Kate.

Kate looked at him panicked and confused.

“The bank is covered with grass. You’ll have a soft landing.” Tony said, as the car rammed his side again.

“YOU WANT ME TO JUMP!” Kate couldn’t believe her ears. “What about you!”

“One of us needs to survive this!” Tony said, fighting to control the car. “Go when I tell you to.”

Tony slowed the car and the other driver shot past them, not expecting Tony’s action.

“NOW!” Tony yelled when he slowed the car sufficiently.

Kate concluded. “I opened the door and jumped. I tried to “tuck and roll.” That is all I remember, until I felt Tony trying to wake me.”

Gibbs nodded, feeling fortunate to have both his agents alive, but pissed off someone was coming after members of his team.


RBC