- Text Size +
Chapter 4

"Someone is trying to kill my people." Gibbs said, as he stormed, uninvited, into Director Shepard's office.

Jenny looked up from her paperwork, shocked.

Gibbs closed the door behind him and moved to stand in front of her desk. "Tony and Kate, somebody ran them off the road earlier today. Kate's OK. Tony, I don't know what is going on with Tony, except that he is hurt really bad. He's still unconscious."

"Jethro!" The director said, at a loss for words.

"McGee and I were heading to a scene when we heard what sounded like an explosion. I had sent Tony and Kate to check out a lead that I thought would be promising, they were then supposed to meet back up with us at the scene. Anyway, we heard this explosion. I followed the smoke cloud and came up on Tony and Kate. It took us a few minutes to realize it was them."

"When did this happen?" Jenny asked, visibly shaken.

"About 5 hours ago." Gibbs paused, trying to collect himself. "Anyway, they were lying at the bottom of a steep embankment. There was a smoldering car between us and them. We didn't even know there was anybody down there at first." Gibbs paced in front of the director's desk.

"I assume Abby has everything, since you are in here?" Jenny said.

Gibbs nodded. "She is going over it as we speak. We can't really expect to find anything on the car. McGee and I scoured the hill side for evidence of any kind. We were hoping to find paint chips from the other car. Kate said the car was a dark blue. She thought it was a Lincoln Town car. She said the windows were tinted." Gibbs finally sat down in one of her upholstered chairs. "Abby said she would be able to find the brand of tire from the impressions. She might be able to find out which store sold the tire. But she said it was unlikely unless the tire was specially made."

The director leaned back in her chair and laced her fingers. Gibbs could tell she was angry. "Nobody comes after NCIS." She looked up at Gibbs as she stood up. "I want this guy, Jethro."

Gibbs smiled; he loved to see Jenny get passionate about something. "I'll have Abby recheck everything."

Jenny stood up and grabbed her purse. "I'm going to the hospital. Where's Kate?"

"She's at the hospital. I asked her to keep me informed on Tony's condition." Gibbs said, following Jenny out of her office and to the elevator.

"McGee?" Jenny asked, pushing the down button.

"He's with Abby." Gibbs said, as both he and Jenny boarded the elevator.

"So, what's this about Tony's condition?" Jenny turned to Gibbs as they rode down in the elevator.

"The doctor said there is a small amount of swelling on his brain. She says she can't determine how much damage there is until he wakes up. I think that all depends when, if the swelling does down. He has bruises on his chest where he impacted the steering wheel." Gibbs paused, visibly upset. "His ribs are broken. The car exploded. He has burns on his back from the falling hot debris. He tried to shield Kate, so he got the worst of it." Gibbs sighed. "You go on to the hospital." Gibbs said as the elevator came to a stop in the lobby. "I need to see if Abby knows more. Call me if he wakes up."

Jenny Shepard walked into Tony's hospital room just as Kate woke up. Kate had pushed to be allowed to stay in Tony's room. She had been with him for the past 2 hours. She hadn't left his side, except of bathroom breaks, and she stepped out once for food.

"Director Shepard." Kate said standing.

"Go ahead and sit Kate." Jenny walked to Tony's bedside, and took his hand. "I understand you and Tony are both lucky to be alive." She paused, looking down at Tony.

"Yes, ma'am." Kate said, making herself comfortable, She shifted the hospital blanket she took from the closet in Tony's room and covered her legs. "Tony seems to be hanging in there. They rushed him to the OR to check for internal bleeding because of the broken ribs. They did X-rays, MRI's . I don't know what else." Kate paused, visibly upset, voice shaking. "If he doesn't come out of this... ."

"Tony is going to be fine." Jenny said squeezing Tony's hand gently. "He's tough."

"Yes, he is." Kate started smiling as she wiped her eyes. "What did Abby find?"

"Not a lot, Gibbs said that the fire had destroyed a lot of evidence. They did take tire impressions." Jenny said, watching Tony for any sort of reaction.

"Was I right about the make and model of the car?" Kate asked.

"I don't… ." The director stopped mid-sentence as Tony inhaled a deep breath.

Kate stood up and the blanket fell to the floor. "What is it?"

Jenny squeezed Tony's hand. "I think he is waking up."

TBC