- Text Size +
Chapter 5

Kate pressed the nurse call button then took Tony's hand and squeezed it. A disembodied voice answered. "May I help you?"

"Agent DiNozzo is waking up." Kate replied.

"We'll be right there." The intercom line went dead.

Two nurses appeared seconds later. They moved to either side of Tony's bed. By this time, Tony's eyes were indeed open. Kate could see his lips move. The nurses had to lean in close to hear what he was saying. One nurse went to the closet in the room and brought out a blanket. She pulled the sheet and bedspread up over Tony's chest and then spread the blanket out over top. The other nurse left the room and returned with a cup of ice and a spoon. The nurse spooned a small amount of ice into Tony's mouth. "Agent DiNozzo, just hold that in your mouth and let it melt." She patted his shoulder. "If you can keep that down, I'll bring you some water later." The nurse then turned to Kate. "The doctor has been paged. Are you 'Kate?" Kate nodded and stepped forward, closer to the bed. "He asked for you." The nurse left, promising to check back frequently.

"Tony?" Kate asked. Tony's eyes were now closed. But he opened then as soon as she said his name. She slipped her hand into his again.

"You...OK?" Tony asked. His voice was barely above a whisper.

"Yeah, a few cuts and bruises. I have some small burns on my legs, but I'm OK." Kate squeezed his hand gently. "Director Shepard is here. She left to call Gibbs when the nurses came in."

Jenny returned. "Agent DiNozzo."

Tony turned his head to the sound of her voice. "Ma'am."

Jenny took his other hand and leaned in close to him. "We will find who did this Tony."

"Yes, ma'am." Tony whispered.

"Gibbs is on his way." Jenny said to Tony. She then turned to Kate. "To answer your question from before, Gibbs and McGee found no evidence of the other car. If there was anything on the NCIS car, the fire destroyed it."

"Lincoln...Town Car...blue." Tony said, listening to the conversation.

"Are you sure?" Jenny asked.

Tony nodded.

"OK." Jenny smiled. "Gibbs told me about what you did for Agent Todd." Jenny smiled at Tony and then looked over at Kate. "That was very brave. I know you were in severe pain with broken ribs. I just wanted you to know that you will be recognized with a commendation for your bravery and sacrifice. Thank you." She squeezed Tony's hand and then let go.

Tony shook his head. "Don't …want…."

"You have been hanging around Gibbs too long." Jenny said, smiling. "What you did to help your partner was above and beyond. I think you need to be rewarded for it." Jenny patted Tony's hand, then looked up at Kate. "I'm sure Kate would agree with me."

Kate nodded at Jenny and then smiled down at her partner. "Absolutely."

"I'm really glad you're awake." Jenny checked her watch. "I have got to get back to the office."

Jenny met Gibbs in the hall outside Tony's room. "Tony remembered the car. It was a blue Lincoln. He said it WAS a Town car."

"Good, that matches." Gibbs paused. "He told you what happened!"

Jenny shook her head. "He is much too weak for that. Kate had asked me a question about the car before he woke up and I was just answering her." Jenny paused. "I promised Tony we would get him, Gibbs, whoever did this." Jenny took Gibbs arm at the elbow for emphasis. "I don't like seeing my agents hurt, almost killed. You do what you have to." Jenny let go of Gibb's arm and left.

"Tony." Gibbs smiled as he walked into Tony's room and over to his bed.

"Boss." Tony whispered.

Gibbs leaned in close to hear him.

"Voice...Ari." Tony said. â€"

Gibbs stood up, instantly angry. "It was Ari's voice on the phone! You're sure!"

Tony nodded.

TBC