- Text Size +
Chapter 6

Gibbs looked at a shocked Kate. “Gibbs, I never spoke to the person. Tony took the call. He said the man on the phone had called in with a tip on a case we were working on at the time. I don’t know which one he was referencing. Tony never told me that part. I don’t even know if he knew at the time. He said, we could find him at the location. He said he had evidence for us. I never dreamed... .“

“Didn’t recognize... .“ Tony added.

“I know you didn’t, Tony.” Kate said, squeezing his hand. “It’s OK.”

“Ari was probably driving that car. He KNEW you two would be lost because the place he led you to doesn’t exist. All he had to do was wait for you to drive down the road.” Gibbs said, not bothering to conceal his anger. “He’s a dead man!”

“Why did he go after Tony when I was already out of the car?” Kate asked.

“Maybe he didn’t know that. Maybe he thought you were still in there. Maybe he thought if he made road kill out of both of you he would have his revenge against me. Maybe he also has a personal vendetta against Tony. I don’t know, but he won’t live long enough to hurt anyone else.” Gibbs turned and left.

Gibbs called Jenny and informed her of the possible connection. He then placed a call to Abby.

“Gibbs, we’re working as fast and as hard as we can.” Abby said, before he could even say hello.

“Recheck it again. Tony’s awake. He said it was Ari’s voice on the phone.” Gibbs slid into the driver’s seat of his car and started the engine.

Abby was happy and pissed, all at the same time. “Tony is awake, 0MG. He’s talking he remembers what happened. That’s great. He said Ari did this to him?”

“No, he just recognized Ari as the one who called in the tip.” Gibbs pulled out onto the beltway and made his way towards NCIS. “He and Kate said the windows on the car were tinted.”

“And I thought he was out of our lives for good.” Abby walked around the table where she had the evidence laid out, taking a visual inventory. “I can’t believe you and Tim never found even one chip of paint from the other car. I mean, paint chips.” Abby started gesturing with her gloved hands. “That’s what it does.”

“I don’t know what to tell you, Abby. Tim and I worked 4 hours on the hill looking. We found nothing.” Gibbs parked his car and sat inside it in the NCIS parking garage.

Abby sighed. “Well Gibbs, if you didn’t find it, I guess there was none to be found.”

“No, Abby, if I didn’t find it. That means I didn’t look hard enough.” Gibbs backed the car out of the parking spot. “Have McGee meet me out front. We’re going back to the crime scene.”

“Tim,” Abby said, turning to address McGee. “Gibbs said to meet him out front; you two are going back to the crime scene.” McGee nodded, got up from Abby’s chair and left the lab.

“Is Tony going to be OK? Can I go see him?” Abby asked, afraid Gibbs would tell her to stay in the lab and wait for his evidence.

“He knows us. He knows what happened.” Gibbs paused. “He is really weak though. He can’t talk above a whisper.”

“Is Kate with him?” Abby asked, realizing she hadn’t even asked about her.

“She is. She has been since the doctors discharged her.” Gibbs said and McGee climbed into the car and they took off.

NCIS NCIS

Abby hesitated before entering Tony’s hospital room. She wasn’t sure how she would handle seeing him attached to tubs and monitors. She was surprised when she walked in Tony’s upper chest was uncovered. The bruise stood out, black and purple.

Tony and Kate were asleep when Abby walked in. She debated leaving when Kate spoke up. “If you touch him, he’ll wake up.”

“Oh, hi Kate.” Abby said, startled. She went over to Kate and hugged her. She then moved to Tony’s bedside and slipped one hand into his. She gently brushed his cheek with the other. “Are you OK?” She said to Kate.

“Yeah, bumps and bruises. I have a few burn marks on my legs. Tony has several on his back.” Kate stood up to stretch.

“Hey.” Tony said when he realized who was there.

“Hi.” Abby squeezed Tony’s hand gently. She stared at his chest, namely the big bruise. She placed her other hand, gently, on his chest.

“I’ll leave you two alone for a minute.” Kate said, getting up and leaving the room.

“Tony.” Abby asked. “Are you in pain?”

“Some...I’m sore.” Tony replied.

“You’re killing me, Tony. I can’t take it, the Plague now this.’ Abby pulled Kate’s chair up beside the bed and sat down. “After hearing what happened to you and Kate, and then seeing the car... .“

“Didn’t...purpose.” Tony groaned loudly and squeezed Abby’s hand.

“I’ll get a nurse.” Abby removed her hand from his chest and made a move towards the door.

Tony squeezed her hand, stopping her. “Don’t leave...please...I’m OK.”

Abby stayed. She pressed the call button. The doctor and a nurse appeared in seconds. “I didn’t think I hurt him. I just touched his chest, that bruise.”

Doctor Angle smiled at her to relieve her fears. “You didn’t hurt him. He’s sore. He will be sore for awhile. I’m sure he likes having your company.” She smiled this time at Tony.

“Agent DiNozzo.” Dr Angle said. She pulled the blanket down to his waist and gently palpated his ribs. He groaned a couple of times during her examination. She concluded her examination and recovered his chest. “That is much better than you did when you first woke up. Ribs take time to heal. You will be sore for awhile. You need anything before I go?”

“No ma’am.” Tony shook his head.

The doctor then bent down and whispered something in Tony’s ear. Tony smiled and nodded and the doctor left.

“What was that all about?” Kate asked.

“Yeah,” Abby’s voice took on a mock-accusing tone. “What did she say to you?”

Tony shook his head.

“So you’re not going to say?” Kate asked, needing clarification. She had reentered he room, shortly after the doctor and nurse had come in.

Tony shook his head again

“We WILL find out Agent DiNozzo?” Abby said, in her best stem voice, and then she smiled.

”…tired.” Tony said, as his eyes began to close.

“Rest, Tony.” Abby looked at her watch. “I have to get back anyway or Gibbs will have my head. Oh, by the way, he and McGee went back out and went over the area again. I am guessing he is still out there or I would be getting a call to get my ass back to the lab.” Abby stroked his face and then kissed his cheek. “Get better, Tony.” She whispered.

“Take care of him, Kate.”

Kate nodded and Abby left.

TBC