- Text Size +
Chapter 9

Gibbs really had no idea where he might find Ari. He checked the café where they had first met. He knew Ari wouldn’t be stupid enough to go anywhere near the hospital. But he thought he might seek out another person to kill Tony or Kate. Gibbs knew his team was safe at the hospital. That was the main reason he had called them all there. They could keep each other safe and they would let no one near Tony who would hurt him.

Gibbs grew tired of sitting at the café and went to his car. He pulled out into traffic. He looked into his rear view mirror and watched what he thought was a familiar looking motorcycle pull up beside him in traffic.

“Tony and Kate are alive.” Gibbs said with a certain amount of satisfaction after he rolled down his window.

Ari sighed. “That’s the problem with hired help, Agent Gibbs. If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.”

The light changed to green and Ari sped ahead into traffic. Gibbs sped up also. He tried to follow, but Ari had the advantage of being able to weave in and out between the other vehicles. Gibbs saw him, but wasn’t able to catch up with him. Gibbs cursed his luck and beat his hands on the steering wheel in anger and frustration. Gibbs moved ahead in traffic, willing himself to calm down. He then had an idea. He remembered a building he had followed Ari to once. Gibbs didn’t know if Ari lived there or just had business there, but it was only a couple of blocks away. Gibbs could see Ari was too far ahead of him to notice what he was doing so he turned off at the next intersection and took the alleyway to the back of the building he remembered. He parked his car where it would not be seen and waited for Ari to show up.

Gibbs got out of the car when he heard a motorcycle enter the alleyway. He waited for the rider the cut off the engine and he emerged for his hiding place.

“Ari Haswari.” Gibbs said. He pulled out his gun and pointed it at Ari’s head.

Ari debated starting up the motorcycle engine and trying to drive away. But he was pretty certain that that action would earn him a bullet to the brain. Ari had a gun on him. But he knew he could not make any sudden moves. He would just have to buy himself some time until he could come up with a plan.

“I assume Agent DiNozzo and Agent Todd are doing well.” Ari stated trying to buy time.

“You assume incorrectly. But I made Tony a promise. I told him I would kill you. I have EVERY intention of keeping that promise.”

“Your loyalty to your team is admirable. But I just can’t help but wonder if it is not misplaced.”

“OK, Ari, I’ll bite.” Gibbs said, never lowering his gun. “Why would my loyalty be misplaced?”

“Would they do it for you, Anthony and Caitlyn, take a bullet, I mean?”

“In a heartbeat.” Gibbs answered without hesitation.

Ari smiled, but didn’t say anything.

Gibbs nodded. “I understand your dilemma, Ari. In the ‘trained assassin’ business, you are loyal to people only as long as you are working for them. After the job is over, you are a free agent again. The problem is you never know when you will be deemed a liability and eliminated. ”

Ari made a quick move for his weapon. Gibbs saw the action and shot the hand that made the move.

“THAT will be your one and only warning.” Gibbs said keeping the gun pointed at Ari. “Anyway, back to what I was saying. You will never know who or why. I wouldn’t like that lack of job security.” Gibbs continued. He changed his stance, but he never lowered his gun.

“Why not just kill me?” Ari said, cradling his injured hand to his chest.

Gibbs smiled. “Ari, you like games. You have been ‘playing’ with me ever since the first time we met. I can understand why you might not be liking this particular game though. You’re not in control. It is a LOT more fun when you are the one calling the shots.”

Ari said nothing, still cradling his hand against his chest.

“But, unlike you, Ari.” Gibbs said. “I won’t play this game too long. You bore me. I have better things to do with my time.”

“Don’t underestimate loyalty, Gibbs. People will find out what happened to me. They will come after you.”

Gibbs took a step forward and Ari automatically took a step back.

Gibbs smiled. “That ALMOST makes it worth all the hell you have put me and my team through.” Then Gibbs pulled the trigger. “Almost.”

Ari slumped to the ground, a bullet wound in the center of his forehead.

Gibbs walked over to Ari lying on the ground. Gibbs’ gun was still in his hand. “I will take my chances on YOUR loyalty.” Gibbs said and then he turned and walked away.

Gibbs called Director Jenny Shepard and Special Agent Tobias Fornell and informed them of the current status of one Ari Haswari.

THE END