- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
She wasn't supposed to fall in love, but she did. Now it could tear her apart...
"She Fell In Love"

Chapter One (The News) --

Gibbs and Kate had been friends almost from the very moment they met. At first that was all it was, but then after a while it developed into 'friends-with-benefits', and they both agreed not to go any further than that. It was for the best they understood.

It was also for the best, that none of their other co-workers ever knew about their secret midnight rendezvous'.

Their arrangement worked for successfully for a while, but then things began to get complicated. It seemed as though what had started out as a great friendship would ultimately end in disaster and heartbreak.

It wasn't meant to happen. She hadn't intended on it happening, but it happened anyway.

Kate fell in love with the silver-haired man that she regularly shared a bed with (among other things). Yet, she elected to keep it to herself, because she did not want to ruin what she and Gibbs had going.

But now, as she sat in the hospital waiting room--biding her time--she began to feel as though that 'silence' would soon have to be broken.

It was early in the morning, and Kate was beginning to feel a little nervous as she waited to be called back to see the doctor. There was also a mild excitement brewing inside of her with just a hint of anxiety in the background.

She had seen the doctor before, two days earlier, and they had told her that she would be called back to the hospital once they got the results of her tests back from their lab.

Today was that day.

"Ms. Todd." the young nurse called from the door just off to the side of where Kate was sitting.

Kate heard her name being called, and immediately snapped out of her daydream.

She stood, gathering up her purse and the book she had been reading, and headed towards the nurse.

"Ms. Todd?" the nurse repeated Kate's name when she saw the brunette walking towards her.

"Yes." Kate replied, with a soft smile. "That's me."

The nurse smiled back sweetly, and gave a nod.

"Right this way Ms. Todd." the nurse said, motioning with her arm towards the nearby hallway.

"Second door on the right," the young nurse said, pointing in the right direction.

"Thank you." Kate replied, as she headed for the little room just a short distance down the hall.

The young nurse followed behind Kate, and closed the door once they were in the room.

Kate sat down on top of the examination table, as per the nurse's directions, and waited patiently.

The young nurse looked over Kate's chart a little bit, and then turned to face the brunette once again.

"Ms. Todd, how are you feeling this morning?" the young nurse asked sweetly.

"Um, well I was a little nauseous earlier this morning--didn't really have much of a breakfast; but otherwise I feel...pretty good." Kate explained.

The young nurse nodded, with a smile, as she jotted down a few notes on Kate's chart.

"So the morning sickness hasn't gone away?" the nurse said, just to clarify.

"Not really." Kate replied, folding her hands in her lap.

The young nurse jotted something else down on Kate's chart, and then she pulled a stethoscope out of the front pocket of her scrubs.

She set Kate's chart down on the counter top behind her, and then approached Kate.

"Just gonna check your blood-pressure again, and your temperature." the young nurse explained.

Kate nodded.

"Okay." the brunette replied.

The young nurse spent a few minutes checking Kate's blood pressure, and then her temperature--after which she jotted down the results and a few notes on Kate's chart.

"Okay," the young nurse said, at last. "The Doctor will be with you shortly." she said with a smile.

Kate nodded.

"Thanks."

The young nurse left the room, closing the door behind her, and left Kate to wait in silence.

Kate sat on the examination table patiently awaiting the visit from the Doctor.

She was feeling a little bit more nervous the longer she waited, though she knew it was silly--but she just couldn't help it.

A few more minutes past, and then finally the door to the room opened up, and a middle-aged, blond woman walked into the room--closing the door behind her.

The Doctor extended a hand to Kate. Kate accepted it, and the two women shook hands.

"Good morning Ms. Todd." Doctor Kelly said sweetly. "We got your test results back from the lab." Doctor Kelly informed her. "But first, are you feeling any better this morning?"

"I'm still having the morning sickness." Kate replied calmly. "Haven't really been able to eat a 'big' breakfast in quite a few days." she explained.

Doctor Kelly nodded, with a smile, and opened up the file/chart that she was holding in her hands.

"Well, that is to be expected at this stage." Doctor Kelly told her, as she scanned over the information in the file/chart.

"This stage of what?" Kate asked, nervously.

Doctor Kelly looked up at Kate with a smile.

"Pregnancy of course." Doctor Kelly informed her.

"Of...pregnancy." Kate repeated the words, slowly. "You mean I'm...I'm pregnant."

Doctor Kelly nodded, excitement evident in the expression on her face.

"Three weeks." Doctor Kelly added, informing Kate of how far along into the pregnancy she was.

"Congratulations!" Doctor Kelly said excitedly. "You're gonna be a mommy." she added.

Kate could hardly believe it. It was both a shock, and a dream come true.

"I-I'm...I'm pregnant." she whispered to herself (once again) as a single tear rolled down her cheek.


...In The Car...

Kate soon found herself in her car driving to work--she hoped that Gibbs had gotten the message she had left him earlier about why she would be late for work.

Thoughts about babies, cribs, nurseries, and other things of that nature swam around inside her head.

She was nervous and excited, all at the same time, about telling Gibbs--but she knew she had too. She could stay silent no more.

Kate beamed with pride the whole drive to NCIS Headquarters. She couldn't help but be happy--even though all of the different possibilities as to how Gibbs would/could react ran through her mind again and again...she couldn't wait to tell her silver-haired fox (and best friend, ya know other than Abby of course).


...NCIS Headquarters...

Kate stepped off of the elevator, and rounded the corner into the bullpen a few seconds later.

"Morning, Kate." Tony greeted his partner. "Nice of you to finally show up."

Kate set her things down behind her desk.

"Morning Tony." Kate smiled back. "Something wrong?" she asked.

Tony shrugged.

"I'd watch out for Gibbs, if I were you." Tony warned her.

"Why?" she asked.

"He's-" Tony began to say.

Gibbs rounded the corner into the bullpen at that very moment, and stopped Tony's sentence short.

"I'm what, DiNozzo?" Gibbs asked, as he past his Senior Field Agent's desk.

"Nothing boss." Tony covered quickly. "Just...the best boss in the world is all."

Gibbs grinned to himself (unseen by the others) and gave a nod.

"Gibbs," Kate said, walking over to the silver-haired man's desk. "We need to-"

"Where ya been, Kate." his words cold, as her name rolled off of his lips. Gibbs looked at his wrist watch. "You're three hours late." he told her, his steely blue eyes burning through her.

"I-I left you a message." she told him. "I was at the doctor's office."

"You sick?" Gibbs asked, plainly.

"No, I'm-" she started to say.

"Good." he cut her off mid-sentence. "You can get to work then--McGee, bring her up to speed." Gibbs called across the bullpen.

"Yes sir. O-On it boss." McGee answered.

Kate was in shock, and for a brief moment she just stood there staring back at Gibbs--unmoving.

"Something wrong?" Gibbs asked, when she didn't move.

"N-no." she replied quietly, shaking her head, and then walking over to McGee's desk finally.

Gibbs nodded, and then stood up.

At McGee's desk, Tim was busy explaining to Kate, now, about the phone call that they had gotten earlier about the dead body found in a downtown storage facility. It was the body of a dead petty officer named Michael Kramer.

Gibbs headed away from his team after a few seconds.

"I want answers when I get back." Gibbs told them.

"Where ya going?" Tony asked.

"To get a Caf-Pow." he said plainly, over his shoulder.

For Kate, the morning was going from excellent to not so great in just a matter of minutes.







Chapter Two (Unexpected Reaction) --

The day was finally winding down, and Kate was so glad for that fact. She had been trying to find time to speak with Gibbs all day and had been unsuccessful so far.

At this point she was hungry and tired, and she could feel the excitement and nervousness about telling Gibbs the news starting to fill her insides again.

Tony and McGee had already left, and Gibbs was still sitting behind his own desk finishing up some last minute paper work.

'Its now or never.' Kate thought to herself. She took in a deep breath, and then let it out as she walked towards Gibbs' desk.

"Gibbs," she said his name, and she could tell that her voice was a little shaky.

"Yes." he said, looking up at the beautiful brunette. "Whatcha need?" he asked, a tiny smile playing at the edges of his lips.

"About this morning--you know, my visit to the doctor--I have some news." she paused a moment, to take in another deep breath to steady her nerves.

"And?" Gibbs pressed her, after a brief moment of silence.

"And...here." she said, revealing a black coffee mug that she had been concealing behind her back.

She had picked it up at a service station on her way back from the Doctor's office earlier that morning.

"What's this?" he asked, rolling it over in his hands.

The coffee mug had big, bold lettering around one side that read "World's #1 Dad".

Gibbs stared at it for a long moment. Then he noticed the big smile that had settled over Kate's face.

"I'm pregnant." she said at last, beaming proudly.

To her dismay, though, a dark look suddenly settled over Gibbs' face as they stared into each others eyes.

"I thought you were on birth control." he said at last.

"I-I was," she stammered, somewhat confused by the silver-haired man's reaction to her news. "I guess I could've missed a day somewhere." she reasoned aloud, having not really thought about that part until just then. "I'd have to check to be sure." she added.

"So, what do we do now?" Gibbs asked, plainly.

Kate's head was spinning at this point. This whole thing was not going exactly as she had imagined it would.

"Wha-what do you mean 'what do we do now?'" she asked. "I-I don't understand...Gibbs, we're having a baby." she said, trying to inject a little excitement back into the moment.

Gibbs shook his head at the brunette.

Kate watched as Gibbs pulled open the bottom drawer of his desk, and dropped the coffee mug inside it--closing it up after he was finished.

He then stood, gathered his things, and turned off his desk lamp.

"Where are you going?" Kate asked, still somewhat confused.

But he remained silent for a moment or so.

"Gibbs." she tried again.

"Home." he said finally.

"Right." she said, her thoughts racing at a million miles per second. "Good idea, we can talk more there. Let me just run by my house and change and then-" she started to say.

"No. Not tonight, Kate." he said, as he stepped up to the elevator and pressed the down button.

Kate had gathered up her own things, and soon caught up to Gibbs at the elevator.

She stepped up next to him a few seconds later. "Why not?"

"Because it would be unwise." he said, turning on her before he even realized what he was doing.

The elevator door(s) opened, and Gibbs stepped inside the waiting elevator car.

"I'll see you tomorrow." he told the brunette, quietly, as the elevator door(s) closed.

Kate stood, silently, and watched as Gibbs disappeared behind the elevator door(s). She was in shock. This was not at all how she had expected him to react to her news.

Finally, after a few minutes or so, she shook her head and reassured herself that everything would be alright.

'Its just a lot to process.' she told herself. 'Yeah, that's it--He's just in shock is all.'

She pressed the button on the wall to summon the elevator back up to where she was. And then she waited.

'Everything will be better tomorrow.' she told herself once again. 'Deep down he loves me--I just know he does. After all, I love him...so he must feel the same, right?'

The elevator pinged, the door(s) opened up, and she stepped inside.

She said a silent prayer as the elevator door(s) closed before her.


...The Next Morning...

Kate walked through the front door of the NCIS building, checked in with security, and then headed towards the elevator.

She was feeling a lot better since last night's confusing conversation with Gibbs. She had a smile on her face, and confidence that today would be better; and that Gibbs would be more understanding and hopefully happier about the whole situation.

Gibbs caught up with her as she reached the elevator, and slapped the button to summon the car down to their level.

"Morning." she greeted the silver-haired fox cheerfully, upon seeing him.

"Morning." he said sluggishly.

She tried not to let his less-than-enthusiastic greeting weigh her down, as the two of them stepped onto the elevator, and waited for the door(s) to close.


...On The Elevator...

No sooner had the elevator gotten underway, that Gibbs reached out and slapped the 'stop' switch--bringing the car to a sudden halt.

"Kate," Gibbs said, as he turned to face her. "About last night-" he started to say, but then she cut him off.

"Its okay. I understand." she said at once, with a smile. "I did spring it on you kind of suddenly--you were in shock, and that's why-"

Gibbs raised a finger, and pressed it to the beautiful brunette's lips to quiet her at once.

"Kate, I think you should have an abortion." Gibbs said calmly.

He couldn't believe that he was saying those words. He had always been against the whole idea of 'Abortions. Yet, he said them anyway--he felt as though it was the 'right' thing to do...or at least that was what he had been telling himself all morning.

A horrified look came across Kate's face as she stared up at Gibbs, and realized that he was being serious.

"You're serious." she choked out, her eyes growing moist and red.

Gibbs remained silent as he stood there watching her.

"An 'ABORTION!'" she nearly screamed. "This is OUR baby, Gibbs!" she cried. "OUR BABY!"

"Katie," Gibbs started towards her.

"H-How...Why, why would you-" she stammered, trying to find the words, but none would come. "But Gibbs I-I love you...I love you, and I want us to have a family together, I want-"

"I just think its for the best." Gibbs said at last, quietly. "We've got a good thing going between us...I just don't want to ruin it with-"

She could suddenly feel anger bubbling up inside of her as she stood there listening to the words rolling out of his mouth.

Kate lashed out at the silver-haired man without warning. Her hand landed hard against his cheek, and a loud THWACK! filled the space inside the dimly-lit elevator car.

Suddenly, an intense rage seethed within every inch of Gibbs' body.

He lashed out, grabbed Kate's arms in mid-air, and pinned her back against the wall of the elevator car.

He held her pinned tightly to the wall, as she struggled fiercely to free herself from his grip. "Let me go!" she spat angrily, her eyes full of burning tears.

"It was just 'SEX'!" he snapped in her face. "You want more than that, 'Kate'...then go find some other poor schmuck!" his face was blood red with anger.

"I don't want any part of this 'Thing'!" he snapped.

Then finally, he released her and turned away.

Kate sank to the floor, heartbroken, and drew her knees up to her chest--tears ran down her face as she sat there shaking.

Gibbs finally calmed back down after a few seconds, and instantly regretted the things that he had said to the beautiful brunette only moments before.

He turned around, and saw her curled up into a ball against the elevator wall/floor.

"Kate, I-" he started to say softly, remorse evident in his voice.

"No," she said with a sniffle, pushing him away. "Don-Don't touch me." she spat angrily. "J-Just go away. Leave me alone." she sobbed, as she buried her face in her knees.

Gibbs closed his eyes, and stood silently for a moment thinking to himself.

'Gibbs you jackass.' he chided himself. 'You always manage to fuck everything up.' he told himself angrily.

At last, he reached out and re-started the elevator once again.

When it finally reached their floor, and the door(s) opened up--he took one last look at the heartbroken brunette, wished there was something he could say to fix everything, but then decided against it.

He walked off of the elevator, and reluctantly left her there alone.


...Two Days Later...

It was early in the morning.

It was two days later when they finally spoke to each other again. Gibbs was sitting at his desk checking his e-mail, Tony was off on a coffee run, and McGee was doing whatever it was he did at his own computer.

The elevator pinged, and then Kate rounded the corner into the bullpen a few seconds later.

She stowed her things away behind her desk, and then walked towards Gibbs' desk.

"Morning." Gibbs said, looking up at the brunette.

"Morning." she replied, with a half-smile. "Can we talk?"

"Sure." he said, standing up. "Where?"

She took him by the hand, and led him down to the break room.


...Break Room...

Once there she began the conversation with him in private.

"I've thought a lot about the last couple of days, and I've made a decision." she informed him quietly.

"Kate, listen I-" Gibbs started to say. It was his intention to apologize--something he rarely ever did.

"No, Gibbs please...le-let me finish." she insisted quietly.

Gibbs let out a sigh, but remained otherwise silent.

"I'm keeping the baby." she told him. "I don't expect anything from you, nor do I need anything from you; and what I 'want', obviously I can't have." her voice cracked a little bit as she spoke.

She had practiced this speech a hundred times within the last few hours, but now that she was actually having to deliver it--she found it to be ten times harder than she originally anticipated.

"The only thing I ask from you, is that you respect me and my decision." she continued.

Gibbs wanted to say something to her. He wanted to do something for her--something to make everything okay again, and mend her broken heart.

"I don't regret 'us'." she said at last, a tear rolling down her face. "And maybe, someday we can be friends again--like we used to be."

Gibbs pulled the brunette into his arms, and hugged her close. His heart was breaking into a million little pieces as he stood there with her.

She had made her decision, and now it seemed like all of the thousands of things he could have said in that moment wouldn't make much of a difference anymore.








Chapter Three (Andy) --

Kate was now three months into her pregnancy, and to everyone at NCIS she seemed to be in good spirits.

She was just starting to show through her clothes, and everyone at the office would stop to admire her little 'baby bump' whenever they saw her. She thought that it was fun most days, but still sometimes she wished that everyone would 'not' stare at her.

As far as everyone else knew her pregnancy was the product of an accidental 'one night stand'--although Abby had her own suspicions that Kate was hiding something from them.

It was getting close to time for Gibbs and his team to call it quits for the evening.

Kate handed in her paper work to Gibbs, and then returned to her desk to gather up her things.

Gibbs watched in secret as the brunette gathered her things up from behind her desk.

"So, Kate." Tony said from his desk. "Thought about baby names yet?"

"Nope. Not yet." she replied, looking over at her partner.

"Good, cuz I've got the perfect name--ya know, provided its a boy--and I think you'll just love it." he told her.

"What is it?" she asked, knowing that she would regret asking.

"Anthony." Tony replied, with a big, goofy smile.

Kate shook her head.

"Let me guess," she said, cocking her head to one side. "'Tony' for short, right?"

"You got it!" Tony chuckled at the idea of his partner's baby being named after him.

"I don't think so." Gibbs said plainly, without thinking.

Everyone looked up at Gibbs--even Kate.

Gibbs realized what he had done, and then realized everyone was staring at him. He covered himself quickly though.

"That's just my opinion." he said quickly. "But I guess it's really up to Kate." he added.

Everyone nodded, and then everything returned to normal.

Gibbs let out a quiet sigh of relief as he finished up his own paper work, put it away, and then stood up.

Gibbs gathered up his things, and the walked towards Kate's desk.

In the background the elevator issued an audible ping.

"Hey, Kate," Gibbs said her name quietly as he approached her.

"Yeah." she said happily, as she looked up at the silver-haired man.

They looked into each others eyes, silently, for a long moment.

"I-I was wondering if maybe you and I could-"

His sentence was cut short as a man with short, dirty-blond hair, and brown eyes rounded the corner into the bullpen. The man also sported some facial hair in the form of a 'soul patch'.

"Hey babe," the man said, as he wrapped his arms around Kate's waist (unexpectedly).

Kate chuckled at the feel of the man's lips against her neck.

"Andy, stop." she giggled playfully. "What are you doing here?" she asked, as Andy continued to lay gentle kisses down the side of her neck.

"I came to see you, beautiful," Andy replied. "Thought we'd go out tonight."

"Sounds great." she giggled.

"Oh, hey," the man said, when he noticed Gibbs standing nearby. "Sorry, I'm Andy...Andy Wilson." he said, as he and Gibbs shook hands. "You must be Gibbs--Kate's told me so much about you." he said with a smile.

Gibbs was somewhat shocked at this new development. He had not been aware that Kate was currently seeing someone.

Kate saw the troubled look deep in the silver-haired man's eyes, and she instantly felt bad about not telling him about Andy.

"What were you saying...you were asking me something?" she said quietly, as she pulled away from Andy.

Gibbs was silent for a brief moment, but then he finally spoke up.

"N-nothing." he said quietly. "Just...you two have fun--I'll see you first thing Monday morning."

And with that Gibbs headed off towards the elevator.

Kate felt horrible. She knew that whatever it was he had been planning to say before Andy showed up, was really important to him. She felt like she had really hurt his feelings, and the timing couldn't have been better. They had just started to repair their 'friendship', but now she felt unsure if it would survive what they were putting it through.

"You ready?" Andy asked her at last.

"Y-Yeah. Sure." she said finally. She turned around, forced a smile for Andy, and then grabbed her things.

Then the two of them left.


...Andy's House...

It was late, just a little after 1:00 in the morning, and Kate couldn't sleep. She and Andy had had a wonderful supper, and afterward they had come back to his place for the night.

Kate was wearing nothing more than a t-shirt--a special, faded gray N.I.S. t-shirt.

She tiptoed up to the front of the house, and sat down on the sofa. She reached for her purse (which set on the coffee table in front of her). She knew it was late, but she also knew that he would be awake anyway.

She dialed Gibbs' cell number, and waited.


...Gibbs' Basement...

Gibbs was down in his basement working on the boat he was building.

On the workbench behind him set a glass tumbler and a bottle of bourbon.

He stopped sanding the strip he was working on when he heard his cell phone ringing. He turned to the workbench behind him, and stared at the cell phone.

On the third ring he picked it up, and looked down at the Caller ID--it said 'Kate'.

His eyes were moist and red.

He stared at it until it stopped, and then he laid it back down on the workbench.

He started back to his work, but then the phone started to ring again. He picked it up, and looked at the Caller ID. 'Kate' it read.

He opened the phone, and then closed it back--and then set it back down.


...Andy's Place...

"Gibbs-" the phone line went dead, and Kate closed her cell phone back up.

She laid down on the sofa, and curled up into a ball. She couldn't help but feel miserable about the way things had gone at the office earlier that evening.

She laid there on the sofa and quietly cried herself to sleep.


...Andy's Place/Next Morning...

It was early the next morning when Andy awoke, and found Kate sound asleep on the living room sofa.

Andy laid a hand on Kate's shoulder.

Kate roused up, and saw Andy squatting beside the sofa.

"Why are you out here?" Andy asked softly.

"Couldn't sleep I guess." she said, with a yawn.

Andy laid a hand, gently, against Kate's stomach.

"This little rascal keeping you up?" he asked, jokingly.

Kate chuckled. "I guess so." she said quietly.

"What time is it?" she asked.

Andy checked his watch.

"7:00." he replied.

Kate sat up straight on the sofa. "I'm gonna be late." she said, as she stood up.

"You don't have to go." Andy said, pulling the brunette into his arms. "We could both stay here, and hunker down for the day." he suggested, as he stole a kiss.

She giggled.

"We both have to work," she said. "Besides, Gibbs'll kill me if I call in." she told him, as she pulled away (with a smile).

Andy sighed.

"Fine." he said. "But, I'll see you tonight, right?"

"Maybe." she replied, with a small grin.

Then she headed off towards the bathroom for a shower.


...NCIS Headquarters...

Kate stepped of the elevator and headed for the bullpen. She was a half hour late already.

"Sorry I'm-" she started to say, as she stepped behind her desk.

"Gear up." Gibbs said, as he hung up his desk phone.

Everybody grabbed their packs, and watched Gibbs walk out from behind his desk. "DiNozzo. Get the car." Gibbs said, tossing Tony the keys.

"On it boss." Tony said, catching the keys in mid-air. He then headed off towards the elevator.

"Agent Todd, go get Ducky...you're riding with him." Gibbs said, as he passed by Kate's desk.

Kate was shocked. It had been a while since he'd referred to her by her last name. She also noticed a coldness in his voice.

"But Gibbs, I-" she started to protest.

"And don't be late next time." Gibbs added, over his shoulder.

McGee hurried by Kate, trying to keep up with Gibbs.


...Several Hours Later...

Kate just couldn’t get over how Gibbs had been treating her since she came into work earlier in the morning. She blamed herself--she knew she shouldn’t, but she did.

He had insisted, very arbitrarily, that he was being hard on her because she had been late for work; but she was convinced that it was because of the previous night.

Gibbs entered the squad room, and rounded the corner into the bullpen carrying two coffee cups.

He stopped at Kate’s desk, and set one of the cups down in front of the brunette.

Kate looked up at Gibbs.

“Thanks.” She said sweetly. “But I can’t have coffee.” She reminded him, somewhat confused by his renewed generosity.

“Its not coffee.” He told her. “Its ginger ale.”

Kate had had some ‘tummy trouble’ at the crime scene earlier, and he’d been concerned ever since.

“Thanks.” She said again, as she picked up the cup and took a long sip. It did feel good on her stomach--that much she could tell right away.

“So, about last night,” she started, referring to the conversation that Andy had unintentionally interrupted.

“It was nothing.” Gibbs replied, running a hand through his silvery hair.

“You sure?” she asked, cocking an eyebrow. “Seemed pretty important to me.” She added.

“Nah.” He said, as he shook his head. “Not really.”

In her mind, she could see the words that he had said just before being interrupted (by Andy), and it sounded like he was trying to maybe ask her out.

“I’m free tonight…ya know, if you wanna maybe do something.” She said quietly, looking up at Gibbs with hopeful eyes.

Gibbs thought silently for a moment.

“Well, if you wanna-“ he started to say.

RING! RING! RING!

Kate fished her cell phone out of her purse, and read the Caller ID�"it was Andy.

“Its him.” Gibbs guessed.

“I don’t have to take it now.” She said quickly. “Wha-What were you saying…again?” she tried to change the subject, but to no avail.

RING! RING! RING!

“Go ahead,” he said nodding to the cell phone with a weak smile. “Its alright.”

Kate watched as Gibbs walked back to his own desk, and she couldn’t help but notice the way his shoulders seemed to sag a little bit--as if in defeat.

She gave a small sigh, and then flipped open the cell phone’s cover.

“Yes,” she said quietly into the phone. “Hey. No, no I’m fine. No, really�"I’m fine.” She insisted.

“You sure?” Andy replied over the line. “After he called, and told me what happened--I went to the drug store and got you some medicine. He said it would help…ya know, without hurting the baby.”

“Who said it would help?” Kate asked, somewhat confused. “Who called you?”

“Oh, uh sorry.” Andy apologized. “Mr. Gibbs.” He told her.

Kate looked across the way at Gibbs sitting behind his own desk--staring at his computer screen.

‘He does care.’ She told herself.

“Hey boss,” McGee suddenly spoke up from the other side of the bullpen.

Gibbs looked up from his computer screen, and turned to face McGee.

“I think I’ve got something on our missing petty officer--Duncan Lane.” McGee informed his boss.

“Spill it.” Gibbs said, as he stood and walked towards the younger man's desk.

“No, I promise--I’m fine.” Kate insisted, in a sweet voice over the phone.

“Look I’ve got to go.” She told Andy over the phone. “Okay, talk to you later. Bye.”

She hung up her phone, stood up, and walked across the bullpen to where Gibbs, McGee, and Tony were now gathered in front of the plasma screen.

“Now, according to this,” McGee was explaining. “Petty Officer Lanes’ mother owns a small cabin…here.” He said pointing to a spot on a map that he had displayed on the plasma screen.

“You feeling better partner?” Tony asked, as Kate reached his side.

“Yeah, much better.” She replied.

Tony chuckled. “You gave us quite a show back at the crime scene.” Tony joked.

Kate blushed with embarrassment at the memory of the whole ordeal.

“I mean, you should have seen yourself.” Tony chuckled. “You were like-“
A hand appeared out of nowhere, and popped the Italian on the back of the head.

“Leave her alone, DiNozzo.” Gibbs said firmly, shooting the Italian a serious look.

“Right boss�"leaving her alone now.” Tony said quickly.

Kate couldn’t help but smile at how protective Gibbs was being.

“Go get the car, McGee.” Gibbs told the younger agent, with a small grin. “DiNozzo, print this out.”

“We goin’ on a trip, Boss?” Tony asked, looking up at his silver-haired boss.

“Yep.” Gibbs replied, as he headed for his desk across the way. “And McGee’s driving.” He added.

McGee looked up with shock and surprise.

“Me. Really?” He sputtered, nervously.

“Yep.” Gibbs replied. “You earned it--nice work by the way.” Gibbs added.

“What, but Boss--I always-“ Tony started to protest.

Gibbs shot Tony a warning look that stopped the younger man in his tracks.

“I’ll uh, I’ll just print out the map.” Tony said, as he back-pedaled towards the computer that McGee had been using.

Gibbs headed towards the elevator�"having retrieved his side-arm and badge from his desk drawer.

“What about me Gibbs?” Kate asked.

Gibbs pointed at the beautiful brunette’s desk across the way. “Park it.” He said firmly.

“What. Hell no�"I’m coming with you.” She protested.

Gibbs stopped in front of Kate, and without thinking gently cupped her cheek as he stared down at her.

“Please.” He begged her quietly. “With Petty Officer Lane’s background--this could be dangerous.” He insisted.

In that brief moment, as the silver-haired Ex-Marine touched her cheek, Kate could feel her heart soar higher than it had in a long while. And, though it only lasted a few seconds�"oh what a glorious few seconds it was.

“Kate,” Gibbs was saying her name. “What would Andy think of me�"if I let you go, and you got hurt. Hmm?” he posed the question, having removed his hand from her cheek.

She could tell by his body language that he was nervous about having
touched her, and that he hadn’t meant to.

“I guess you’re right.” She said at last. “Fine. I’ll stay�"but, I’m

going downstairs to see Abby.” She told him pointedly.

Gibbs shrugged, with a small grin.

“Whatever works.” He replied quietly, as he walked away.


...Abby's Lab/A Few Minutes Later...

Kate wandered into Abby's lab a few minutes later, and found her friend standing in front of the computer workstation--which was where the raven-haired Goth was usually found.

Abby heard footsteps behind her, and quickly spun around to face the intruder.

"Oh, God--Kate!" Abby gasped, clutching at her chest--startled by her friends' sudden appearance in the lab.

"Sorry Abs," Kate apologized, quietly. "Didn't mean to startle you."

Abby giggled.

"Don't be." Abby told her friend, with a grin. "A good fright every now and then is good for the heart." she said proudly.

Kate laughed at Abby.

"So what can I do for ya?" Abby asked.

"Nothing." Kate replied. "Just needed the company." she added.

"Gibbs, and the guys went to pick up Petty Officer Lane. Gibbs thinks it'll be too dangerous for me to go with them." Kate explained.

"Oh, well...glad I can be of assistance." Abby said, with a smile. "So how's the little soldier?" Abby asked, motioning to Kate's tummy.

"Oh, fine I guess." Kate replied, looking down at the tiny baby bump that was just barely visible through her clothes.

"You thinkin' boy...or girl?" Abby asked, as she moved about the lab checking on the different machines that she currently had running at the moment--as she was running some tests as per Gibbs' instructions.

"I dunno." Kate replied honestly, as she walked towards the small office at the back of the lab. "Whatever it is...it'll be mine, and that's all that matters." she added, a very soft, loving tone to her voice as she spoke.

Kate sat herself down in the chair by Abby's desk.

"Have you talked to Gibbs yet?" Abby asked

Abby walked into the office area. She knew that Gibbs was the father of Kate's baby--though she had been sworn to secrecy from the others by Kate.
"I've tried, Abs, I really have." Kate replied.

Abby lowered herself to the floor, and sat Indian-style in front of Kate.

"Talk to me."

"I don't know Abs." Kate said, with a sigh. "Every time we try to talk--there's always some kind of interruption, and I don't know...it kills the mood I guess."

Abby nodded quietly.

"Gibbs cares about you," Abby said, seriously. "You know that, right?"

Kate nodded.

"I know...but is it enough?"

"Kate, listen to me," Abby said, sitting up a little bit. "I believe that its all gonna work out--you'll see."








Chapter Four (Shocking Proposal) --

Kate waddled into the living room at Andy's house. It was early Saturday morning, and she was helping Andy pack his bag.

"Babe, I said I got it." Andy said, as he walked into the living room carrying his suitcase.

"I wanna help." Kate told him, as she grabbed his hygiene pouch off of the coffee table.

"I don't want you to over exert yourself." he told her.

"I think I'll be fine." she replied, shaking her head.

"Not if you keep it up with the 'sassy mouth' you won't be." Andy remarked.

"That a threat?" Kate asked, cocking an eyebrow at Andy, as she handed him his hygiene pouch.

"More like...a promise." he said, pulling her close and kissing her.

"Whatever." she giggled, as she playfully pushed him away.

Andy chuckled.

"You sure you'll be okay while I'm gone?" he asked.

Andy was leaving for a 5 day business trip in less than two hours, and he was kind of worried about leaving Kate alone for the duration of his absence.

"Positive." she replied confidently. "I'll be staying with Gibbs." she added.

"Well, if you insist." Andy said at last.

"Besides, I've got a whole list of things to do while you're away." she told him. "I've got a Doctor's appointment right after lunch time today, and then Gibbs said he would take me shopping, and Abby's planning a baby shower for tomorrow afternoon--plus a whole slew of other things that are just too numerous to mention...I'll be fine." she re-iterated.

"Alright." Andy said, with a sigh. "I guess I have no choice but to take your word for it."

Kate nodded victoriously.

"Want me to drop you off on my way to the airport?" he asked.

"No thanks," she told him, as he planted a gentle peck on the top of his nose. "Gibbs is picking me up in a little bit." she added.

"Okay."

A few minutes later Kate watched as Andy's car pulled out of the driveway, and then disappeared from sight down the street.

Kate looked down at her watch.

"I need to finish rustling up my things before Gibbs gets here." she said to herself.

Suddenly she felt a mild jab within her stomach--it startled her a little bit, but she soon regained her composure.

"Hey," she said, looking down at her six and a half months pregnant belly. "We talked about this, remember, you're not training for the Olympics...not yet anyway." She waited, but the baby seemed to have calmed down. "Thank you...mommy loves you, but playing soccer while you're still inside her is a no-no." she said, with a soft chuckle.

"Better get started." she told herself after a second or so more.

She spent several, several minutes gathering and packing up her things that she would need for the week.

"I think that's...everything." she said, pausing a moment to catch her breath.

"Being pregnant sure takes a lot out of ya." Kate mused to herself.

"Think I'll just sit down for a bit." she said, as she lowered herself down onto the nearby sofa.

...Several Minutes Later...

Gibbs jogged up the front steps of Andy's house, and rang the doorbell. He waited for a few minutes, but got no answer. He tried again.

Still nothing.

He blew out an exasperated sigh, as he moved over towards the nearby window.

He could see Kate sitting on the sofa--obviously lost in her own little world.

He tapped on the glass of the window just hard enough to get her attention.

The rapping sound at the window startled Kate out of the solitude of her inner most thoughts.

Gibbs watched as Kate stood up, and made her way to the front door.

She opened the front door, and found Gibbs waiting just outside.

"What kept ya?" he asked, as he stepped inside.

Kate felt another sharp jab in her abdomen.

"You okay?" Gibbs asked, upon seeing the surprised look on Kate's face.

"The baby kicked." she explained.

Gibbs nodded.

"You packed?" Gibbs asked.

"Yep, packed up and ready to roll." she replied, with a smile as she started to pick up her bags.

"Let me get those for ya." Gibbs offered, moving to her side.

...A Few Minutes Later...

Gibbs closed the trunk of his car, having finished loading up Kate's things, and then made his way around to the driver's side door.

He slid into the driver's seat, and closed the door.

"Ready?"

"I'm waitin' on you old man." Kate replied, with a smirk.

"Old, hunh?" Gibbs replied. "We'll see. Hospital first, right?"

"Yep." Kate replied, happily.

Kate laughed, as Gibbs put the car into drive and peeled out of the driveway--burning rubber as he pulled out onto the road.

This was the Gibbs that no one else knew but her.


...At The Hospital/An Hour Later...

Gibbs and Kate sat in the waiting room at the hospital about an hour later.

Kate was excited about this particular visit. The last time she came they had not been able to make-out the sex of the baby (due to the baby being in the wrong position in the womb).

"You will come back with me, right?" Kate asked anxiously.

"I dunno." Gibbs replied. "I'm not sure that's such a good idea." he added.

Kate looked at the silver-haired man for a moment.

"It'll be fun." she said playfully. "Trust me--it gets better every time."

Gibbs thought for a moment.

"We'll see." he told the brunette sitting in the chair beside him.

Kate looked away from Gibbs--her good mood somewhat dampened.

"Of course...if it really makes you 'that' uncomfortable--you don't have to come." she told him somberly, as she rubbed both hands gently up and down her belly.

Gibbs could hear the hurt in the brunette's voice.

He reached a hand over, and laid it gently against her belly.

"We'll there be popcorn served with this movie?" Gibbs asked, with a small grin.

The baby responded, from within the womb, and Gibbs' couldn't help but give a small chuckle.

'Boy, you sure are excited all of a sudden.' Kate thought silently. Gibbs still had his hand against her tummy, and suddenly she felt the baby kick a second time (it felt, to her, like an excited kind of kick).

A light bulb went off, suddenly, inside Kate's head.

'Wait, you know--don't you baby?' she thought to herself silently. 'You know that's your daddy.' her thoughts ran wild with excitement at the idea that her baby, while still in the womb, could tell who its father 'really' was.

Kate couldn't help but beam proudly.

A second or so later, a nurse stepped into the room holding a chart in her hand(s).

"Ms. Todd." the nurse called out the name on the chart.

Kate stood, with a little help from Gibbs, and together they walked towards the waiting nurse.

The nurse directed them down the hallway towards an open room.


...Examination Room/Hospital...

"Just make yourselves comfortable, and Dr. Kelly will be with you shortly." the nurse informed them.

"Thanks." Kate said, as she pulled herself up onto the examination table.

Gibbs took the chair that set just against the wall between the table and the door.

After a few minutes Kate could tell that Gibbs was a little uncomfortable--maybe even a little nervous.

"You okay over there?" she asked, with a little grin.

Gibbs shrugged. "Just never really been good with these kinds of things." he replied quietly.

"You'll be fine." Kate told him. "I hope we get to find out whether its a 'boy' or a 'girl'." she added, with a smile.

A minute or so later Dr. Kelly came into the room, and closed the door behind her.





.........To Be Continued.........
Chapter End Notes:
Another short story for you guys to enjoy.