- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The team makes a plan
Chapter 18

Gibbs looked around at his team of agents, gathered in his living room. "Thanks for coming, although you didn't have to come quite this early." Gibbs sat the tray down on the coffee table next to a large box of donuts.

"I stopped for donuts, Agent Gibbs," Palmer said when he saw the questioning look on Gibbs' face. "I know how much Tony likes them and thought, maybe…"

"I appreciate that, Palmer." Gibbs gave him a half smile.

"Where is Tony, Gibbs?" Abby asked, donut in hand.

"Sleeping, Abs," Gibbs said. From the way Abby was looking at him, Gibbs knew his sadness was very apparent. "We've been up most the night. I finally got him calmed down enough to sleep, so I don't want him disturbed."

"Can we assume that Tony being upset is in direct correlation to our being summoned here?" Ziva asked.

"Yeah, Ziva, there is." Gibbs released a heavy sigh. He looked at each face staring at him, waiting for an explanation. God, what could he say? Should he tell them all of it or just give them the basics? If he wanted their help, he decided, they needed to know it all, no matter how much it pained him to speak aloud about what had happened to Tony. "What I'm about to tell you stays here, between us. The Director had been informed and is on board but no one at the Yard, and I mean no one, is to hear about this." Gibbs waited until he had an affirmative nod from all around before he continued. "Agent Moretti, Falco, has been torturing Tony."

There were gasps as well as cries of shock and surprise that filled the room. No one wanted to believe what they had been told. It couldn't possibly be true. Falco was an NCIS agent, an old friend of Gibbs', why would he do something like this? All were in total disbelief, all but one.

"That would explain a lot of things," Ziva stated quietly.

"Explain what?" Kate asked in dismay. "Did you know about any of this?"

"No," Ziva shot back. "I just noticed some things that did not tally up."

"Add," McGee automatically corrected her. "It's add up, Ziva, not tally."

"Whatever," Ziva snipped back exasperated. "I just know they did not make sense."

"Like what, Ziver?" Gibbs asked.

"They were just little things," Ziva tried to explain. "The look of discomfort Tony would get when Falco would enter the bullpen. The smirk of satisfaction from Falco when Tony would not look at him. Things like that. I also noticed that every time Falco brought Tony back to you he appeared pale and shaky."

"And you never said anything?" Kate asked, upset more at herself for not noticing the same thing.

"And what could I say, Kate?" Ziva defended herself. "Hey, Gibbs did you notice that look, or maybe hey, Gibbs why is Tony so pale?"

"All right, let's calm down now, shall we," Ducky cut in. This was hard enough on Gibbs' nerves and he didn't want a squabble between these two adding to it.

"Ducky's right," Gibbs added. "And don't blame Ziva, Kate. I noticed some things also but it wasn't until yesterday that I finally got my head out of my ass and made the decision to find out just what was going on."

"And what is going on, Jethro?" Ducky asked, leaning forward in his chair. "What has that bastard been doing to Anthony?"

Gibbs took a deep breath and relayed everything Tony had told him, without leaving anything out. He watched everyone as the story progressed and saw a multitude of emotions cross their faces. He saw horror, disgust, anger, sadness, and in Ziva's case, murderous rage. By the end, all the team could do was sit in shocked silence. The only sound that could be heard was Abby's quiet sobs.

"Agent Gibbs?" Palmer's quiet voice broke the silence. "Why would an agent with NCIS torture someone? Slave or not, he's still a human being."

"Because my father told him to," Tony said as he descended the stairs.

Tony leaned against the railing at the bottom of the stairs, closed his eyes and wished away the dizziness he was feeling. A gentle hand on his elbow told him Gibbs was already at his side and he opened his eyes to see those beautiful blue one filled with concern. He gave Gibbs a sad smile and headed for the living room, pleased that Gibbs never let go until he was seated.

"Tony, what do you mean, 'your father told him to'?" Kate asked as she moved over to make room for Tony on the couch.

Tony laid his head on the back of the couch and sighed deeply. "He's working with my father, Agent Todd." Tony turned his head and faced Kate. "The first time he - the first day after - when it was over, as I lay there, he said 'your daddy says hi.' My father is behind all of this."

"But how could anyone hurt their own son?" Abby asked as she wiped the tears from her face. "And what does your father gain by having Falco abuse you?"

"I don't know Abby, unless it's his way of telling me he can get to me anytime, anywhere." Tony leaned forward, his elbows on his knees and shook his head. "I mean, if he can get to me at the Navy Yard then I'm not safe anywhere."

Gibbs sat on the arm of the couch next to Tony and gave his shoulder a reassuring squeeze. "You're safe with me, Tony. I'll keep you safe."

"You can't promise that, Gibbs." Tony held up his hand to stop Gibbs' protest. "I know you have the best of intensions but I know my father. He is a wealthy and powerful man. He always gets what he wants, always, and he has no problem walking over or taking out anyone who gets in his way, including you or any member of your team. I don't want any of you getting hurt or killed because of me. I'm not worth that."

The head slap was not unexpected and it actually made Tony's heart swell with love for this man.

"I ever hear that come out of your mouth again and I'll smack you so hard your grandchildren will feel it." Gibbs growled. "You are worth it, to all of us, but especially to me. I promise you, if it's the last thing I do, I will take your father down."

Tony eyes filled with tears when Gibbs wrapped his arm around his shoulders and pulled him close. Tony wrapped his arms around Gibbs the best he could with Gibbs sitting on the arm and buried his face in his side.

Ziva went and got a couple of chairs from the dining room and they all moved along so Gibbs could sit next to Tony.

Gibbs nodded his thanks to Ziva and sat beside Tony, pulling him into a tighter hug. He could feel the fine tremors running through Tony and all he wanted to do was go find Senior and break his neck, slowly.

"But how are Tony's father and Agent Moretti connected?" Palmer asked.

"Don't call him that," Gibbs snapped, then softened his tone when he saw Palmer jump. "Don't mean to take it out on you Palmer, but that man doesn't deserve to be called an agent. To answer your question, I'm not sure; I'm hoping McGee can find out."

"Already have, boss." McGee smiled as his fingers flew over his keyboard. "Looks like DiNozzo Senior was involved with Falco's mother when he was younger, a Rosalyn Moretti."

"He's Roz's son?" Tony asked incredulously and looked at McGee.

"You knew his mother?" Gibbs asked.

"Ya, kinda," Tony tried to explain. "It was my last year at Rhode Island Military Academy. I was getting ready to go on to college and went home for what was supposed to be the summer. Roz was his latest fling. I really liked her."

"But you don't remember Falco?" Gibbs asked, his hand rubbing calming circles on Tony's back.

"He wasn't there," Tony continued. "She told me she had a son, but he was spending the summer with her parents. I never met him. I was only home less than a week when my father told me I needed to leave. He said I was a disruption in his life and he wanted to be alone with Rosa. It seems that all Rosa could do when they were together was talk about me and he didn't like it one bit. That was the last time I saw or heard from my father until after I graduated. That's when he started sending me letters telling me it was time for me to come home and take my place at his side." Tony's voice grew quiet and he hung his head. "I later found out he meant he wanted me there so he could have sex with me. Said since it was all my fault that my mother was dead, it was only right that I take her place."

"Sick bastard," Duck spat out, hate filling his eyes. "I'm sorry, my boy, I shouldn't have said that."

"Why, Ducky?" Tony gave the elder ME understanding smile. "You're only speaking the truth."

"What else you got, McGee?" Gibbs asked, his gut twisting in hate for the man Tony called father.

'Well, it looks like DiNozzo Senior supported Falco and his mother for many years," McGee continued to report. "All through Falco's high school years, apparently, and then he put Falco through college."

Everyone looked at Tony when he gave a snort of disgust. "He refused to spend on penny on my college. Felt I was wasting my time because I went to Ohio State and not some Ivy League college. Demanded I major in business so I could work with him. Blew a real gasket when I told him I was a phys-ed major." Everyone laughed with Tony, but it was short-lived.

"Perhaps that is when he learned his craft," Ziva said under her breath.

"What was that, Ziva?" Abby asked, unsure of what she heard.

"Oh, I was just thinking," Ziva said when Abby's question broke her concentration. "From what Gibbs has told us of the things Falco did to Tony, I believe he was well taught, probably by Tony's father." At everyone's confused look Ziva explained further. "Falco was a teenager when his mother was involved with DiNozzo Senior, yes? We know from what Tony has said and what little we have been able to uncover that this man is sadistic. He buys slaves and then they suddenly disappear. I think we can all safely figure he is not just letting them go." At everyone's nod of agreement Ziva continued, "We also know that Falco is just as sadistic as DiNozzo Senior, so it isn't that big a leap to say that it is likely that Senior taught Falco the fine art of torture."

"What's the plan, Gibbs?" Kate asked.

"We throw Falco's ass in the brig," Abby exclaimed. "The sooner the better."

"On what charge, Abby?" Kate asked.

"On what charge?" Abby challenged, raising her voice loudly. "He molested Tony, tortured him. That's sexual assault at the very least."

Kate nodded, hating to burst Abby's bubble, but knowing she had to make her see the awful truth. "That's true, Abby. What evidence do you have to support the accusation?"

"Evid-" Abby was shocked. Wasn't Kate on their side? "We have Tony's word. He can testify against Falco."

"The word of a known terrorist slave against that of a free man?" Ziva added to Kate's argument. "It would never make it to court."

"But, but…" Abby was stunned. She never once considered that Tony's word would not be taken.

"I'm afraid they're right, Abs," Gibbs agreed.

"Agent Gibbs?" Palmer called out. "Isn't it against the law for anyone to lay their hands on another person's slave?"

"Technically, yes," Gibbs said. "That law was originally put in place to prevent unscrupulous people from buying slaves and using them in bordellos. I'm afraid that won't work in Tony's case."

"Why not?"

"Because his Master was stupid enough to turn him over," Gibbs hissed through gritted teeth. "That sick bastard had free rein with Tony because he had temporary custody of him."

"It wasn't your fault," Tony said and grabbed Gibbs' hand. "You didn't know what he was like, what he had become."

"I should have," Gibbs snapped and then calmed and shook his head. "I'm an investigator, for God's sakes. I should have figured it out a hell of a lot sooner."

"None of us saw it, Boss," McGee spoke up. "Well, no one but Ziva."

Ziva opened her mouth to protest but Ducky jumped in, saying, "What's done is done and we can't change the past. What we can do is see to it that bastard pays for what he's done."

"But how?" Abby cried. "If they won't take Tony's word for what happened, then how do we take him down? I mean, short of killing him and hiding the body, which I'm all for, by the way. You know I can do it and leave no forensic evidence."

"No!" Tony barked, surprising everyone. "I'm sorry, but I don't want anyone risking their careers or especially their freedom for me."

"If you say you aren't worth it, I will head slap you so hard…" Gibbs gave Tony his best glare.

"It's not that." Tony tried to explain as he shook his head, "We're all law enforcement, or at least I use to be. I don't want any of us to stoop to his level. I want it to all be above board and legal."

"I agree with Tony," Gibbs stated.

"Then what's the plan, Gibbs?" Kate asked.

"Tony and I talked a lot about this earlier and we both agree. We have to catch him in the act." Gibbs said as he stood and began pacing back and forth. "He may have had temporary custody of Tony, but that didn't mean he could torture him. There is a law against torturing slaves. Not even owners can inflict that can of treatment. If we catch him at it, we can put him away for a very long time."

"But, Gibbs, that means putting Tony in Falco's hands again." Abby glanced over at Tony before meeting Gibbs' determined blue eyes. "How can we ask Tony to go through that again?"

"Believe me, Abby," Gibbs insisted. "I would rather cut off my right arm than turn Tony over to that bastard one more time, but I don't see any other option." Gibbs knelt down in front of Tony and quietly spoke. "You still okay with this, Tony? Do you think you can handle it?"

"Yeah, Gibbs." Tony nodded. "Like you said, there really isn't any other options."

"Well, there has to be," Abby vented. "We just can't…"

"It's okay, Abs," Tony spoke softly, seeing the fear in Abby's eyes. She'd had a hard time seeing him as a slave, right from the start, but it looked like reality had finally sunk in. "He's right, we have no other choice and, yes, the thought of spending even one more minute with that creepazoid turns my stomach inside out. But if it means putting that man away…" Tony swallowed the nausea back down before he sighed and continued, "After the way he threatened to kill Gibbs, I'll do whatever I have to in order to put him behind bars."

"So what's our plan, Gibbs?" Kate asked.

Gibbs heart filled with pride at hearing Kate ask what our plan was. He looked from one person to the next, pleased when each and every one of them nodded their agreement and willingness to help. Gibbs then looked at Tony and saw tears in his eyes. It was obvious to Gibbs that he too saw the solidarity amongst the team.

Taking his seat again next to Tony, Gibbs gave his neck a comforting squeeze and nodded, getting a nod in return. Gibbs took a deep breath and turned to his team. "Okay, I've talk with the Director and he is on board for this. Tomorrow is Friday and I've taken the day off." Gibbs almost laughed at the round of gasps he heard. "If Falco asks where we are, tell him I kept Tony at home because I believe he has the flu. That should put any concerns about Tony not being there to rest."

Gibbs refilled his cup of coffee before turning to McGee. "That gives us a three day weekend to set this all up. McGee, can you set up surveillance not only in the bathroom Falco has been using but in the hallway leading to it? Can you do that?"

"No problem, boss," McGee replied. "I have the perfect thing. It looks just like a smoke detector. It connects to the internet, so we can watch from my laptop from any room in the building. It works on a…"

"McGee," Gibbs growled.

"Sorry," McGee said contritely. "Yes, I can make sure the room as well as the hall is completely covered."

"Do it as soon as possible," Gibbs ordered. "Kate, you and Ziva help McGee set everything up in the storage room down the hall. That way we are only a few feet away and can get to Tony before that bastard can hurt him again."

"We can hook it up to a video feed in the lab," Abby added. "We can record everything that happens. That way there is solid proof that no one can dispute."

"That's good, Abs." Gibbs turned his attention to his old friend and his assistant. "Duck, I'll need you and Palmer to stay close, just in case."

"Of course, Jethro. Mr. Palmer and I will be ready and waiting."

"I don't plan on letting that bastard lay a hand on Tony, but…" Gibbs trailed off, his eyes wandering over to the man he loved.

"It's always better to be safe than sorry, as my mother use to say." Ducky gave Gibbs and Tony an encouraging smile. "I know you will be in the best hands, Anthony. You have nothing to worry about."

"I know, Ducky," Tony said as he looked up at his Master and gave his hand a comforting squeeze. "I couldn't ask for a better man than the one here beside me. I trust him with my life, now and forever."

***NCIS***

Gibbs finally closed the door behind the last of his team. He was totally exhausted and all he could think about was how wonderful it would be to lie in bed with Tony in his arms. He stepped into the kitchen and found Tony scrubbing the sink, having already washed all the dishes.

"Hey, it's been a long night and we're both tired," Gibbs said as he laid his hand on Tony's shoulder. "Come up to bed. We'll finish this later." Gibbs was surprised when Tony shrugged his hand off. Something slave Tony would never have done.

"Later," Tony snapped. "I have things to do." Tony stopped just long enough to glance back at Gibbs and then went right back to the sink, scrubbing harder and harder.

Gibbs stood and watched for a moment. He had never seen his sink so clean before, yet Tony continued to scrub over and over again. Gibbs could practically feel the tension radiating off Tony and he knew he need to get him out of his head space. "You know if you keep that up you'll wear the porcelain right off the sink." Gibbs tried to tease Tony out of his mood but it wasn't working. "Hey, maybe I should to hire you as my housekeeper."

Tony's hands finally stilled, but he never turned around. "Just leave me alone," he said quietly. "Please. Just let me do this, Jethro. I…I need to do this."

Gibbs took a step back, unsure of what to do. He wanted to honor Tony's wishes but he refused to leave him there.

Tony bowed his head a bit and said, "I won't be long." When Gibbs still wouldn't leave Tony turned and, for the first time, looked into Gibbs' eyes. "I won't be long, I promise," Tony repeated, pleading with his eyes.

Gibbs nodded and turned to leave, stopping at the door to look back at the man he loved as he started scrubbing again. You've got five minutes, Tony. If you're not upstairs by then I'm coming back down and drag your ass to bed.