- Text Size +
“So this lake we’re going too, what we expected to catch?” Fornell asked from the back of the RV.

“Oh you know, northern pike, largemouth bass, channel and bullhead catfish………. bluegill, yellow perch, walleye, crappie and tiger muskellunge,” Gibbs answered beginning to smile.

“Crappie? You got to be joking Gibbs. And largemouth……..that reminds me of Diane. Your walleye…..my Boss and yours, they always seem to know what you’re doing…..”

“Or shouldn’t.” Gibbs replied.

“Yep and tiger muskellunge, sounds like something the Thai takeaway serves.” Tobias added.

“Wish you hadn’t come along now son?” Jack enquired, “You could always do a bit of bird spotting?”

“Jack, you mean there will be women there?” Fornell asked brightening up.

“Nope Tobias, Dad means ducks, geese, loons, grebes, mergansers, tundra swans and shorebirds.”

“Great…….loons and mergansers……..sounds like some Scottish words used by your Dr Mallard……..I mean loons……that not boys?”

“Sure is Tobias…….wish you had stopped at my place? Mind you, first place Diane would look.” Gibbs laughed back, looking in the rear view mirror at Fornell.

“So when I fish, what am I using for bait?” Tobias now enquired.

“The most effective live baits for Lake Chillisquaque seem to be minnows, night crawlers and crawdads,” Gibbs began to say, “Artificial bait…………..jigs, buzz baits, rapalas or rebels, crankbaits and rubber worms.”

“God, and I thought FBI work was tough. We talking some foreign coded lingo here?”

“Nope all legit……….” Gibbs replied laughing.

“Could I not just shoot the damn fish?” Tobias offered.

“Now Tobias, what would the fun be in that? I mean it is concentration, peace and quiet, and the only dead bodies are the fish. Hey, we even get to eat the evidence.” Jethro answered.

“And I got some nice cold beer and some wine.” Jackson added.

“Wine?” Fornell shouted.

“For the sauce,………and to drink.” Gibbs’ father answered.

“Knew I should have stayed at home,” Fornell concluded as he lay down on the bench seat.


WEE


They arrived at the Lake mid-afternoon, and pitched up. Fornell was watching, it seemed he was the only one who didn’t know what to do.

“Too bright and sunny for any fishin’ this afternoon, in fact looks like it could be tonight before we can cast.” Jackson had said looking at the sky.

“You know this?” Fornell questioned.

“Yep, taught Leroy all I know, that’s what also made him a good tracker………..could hunt a ‘coon in the toughest conditions, knew every bent grass stem, every twisted leaf.”

“Oh yes and he’s still like that. You know can’t even walk down a street and he knows exactly what happened.” Fornell replied.

“Makes me good at my job then doesn’t it? But talking weather, I would say,” Jethro began looking to the heavens, “We are in for a cold front, the low pressure brings the fish closer to the surface and livens them up.”

“Yep, Tobias, as the pressure falls, air bubbles are released, this brings organisms and other particles to the surface, and so the fish rise to eat.” Jackson continued.

“And Tobias, here is the best bit, “Gibbs began to say smiling, “When it rains it affects the way fish bite, insects fly nearer the surface, the rain drops on the water, and also makes casting our lines more discreet.”

“You mean I got to fish in the rain? Great.” Fornell now added, watching Gibbs walk away.

“Tobias, you gonna moan like our ex-wife, or you gonna enjoy the fresh air and scenery?” Gibbs shouted from behind the RV, before appearing with three beers, “Hey think I’ll scout about, see if I can rustle us up some dinner. Dad, rattler do, ok?”

“Sure son, could cook it up with some beans.” Jack laughed.

“You have to be joking.” Fornell shouted.

“Ok forget the rattler…….what about moose? You like steak don’t you?” Gibbs asked, looking at Fornell.

“Sure, but you ain’t gonna kill and bring back………..thought deer was out of season this month,” Tobias replied.

“Dad, you bring the steak?” Gibbs now questioned.

“Sure thing Leroy, in the cooler in the van,” Jack smiled looking at Tobias, “You gonna make the fire up, to cook, that is Tobias, if you know how.”

“Can I not just grill?” Fornell asked.

“Nope Tobias, you’ll lose the flavour and the texture, not to mention the carbon when it falls in the embers,” Gibbs added, “But if you don’t mind I’m gonna get my head down until you cook. I think the fishin’ will be early morning.”