- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Post-ep for 'The Immortals'. Abby greets Gibbs when they get back from investigating aboard the Naval destroyer.
Title: Mischief
Author: bluefirebird
Spoilers: 1.04 The Immortals
Summary: Post-ep for 'The Immortals'. Abby greets Gibbs when they get back from investigating aboard the Naval destroyer.




By the time they get back from the USS Foster and complete the paperwork, it isn't exactly what Gibbs would have called an early night. He knows that Kate and Tony have both been down to see Abby on their return, but he hasn't made the time to visit her so he's not entirely surprised to find her sat on his couch typing away on her laptop when he arrives home.

He drops his overnight bag on the floor close to the couch and leans down to give her a kiss.

"Miss me, Abs?" he smirks.

But she isn't being drawn on that. "You guys have been gone like 3 days, it's been sooo quiet in the lab without you all, and Ducky's had to supply me with Caf-Pow! while I've been hard at work figuring out MacDonald's gaming life..."

"You into all that MMR- online stuff?"

Abby smiles at him. He's a good investigator, remembers important details and just knows so much of what goes on around him, but he has a blind spot with things like this.

"MMORPG," she corrects him, one day it might sink in.

"Yeah, I used to play a lot before I joined NCIS, not so much these days with you guys keeping me busy. You really should try it sometime, Gibbs."

He reaches back down to his holdall again and extracts the book Tony gave him, throwing it down on the coffee table in front of her.

"Is this a conspiracy between you and DiNozzo?" he asks mildly.

Abby picks up the book and looks at it: "Spanish?"

He shrugs at her and plops down on the couch close beside her, rubbing a palm wearily against his forehead. "Don't suppose I'd understand it any better if it were written in English."

"Dinner's in the oven - I thought you'd appreciate something home-cooked after shipboard rations."

Abby is rewarded as his body language changes from tired to interested - he definitely likes her cooking.

Gibbs goes off to the kitchen leaving Abby tapping away at her keyboard. The little box with the winking lights that gives her internet access and which has recently taken up residence in a corner of his living room hasn't escaped his notice.

He loads up two plates from the steaming casserole pot in the oven and returns to the living room where he hands Abby a plate and silverware and they settle to eat in companionable silence. For a little while.

Abby can't resist. "I hear you declined to model the bikini," she teases.

"News travels fast. Kate declined to model it first."

"But you'd look sooo much cuter in it..." she presses.

"Think DiNozzo might disagree with you there." he snorts.

"I hear the accommodation on the Foster was a little cosy, too"

"We managed."

"You know why Kate was concerned about sharing with you two?" Abby continues mischievously.

"Cos we're a couple of pigs," he deadpans.

"No." Abby's smile grows wide and evil. "Because a girl finds it hard to concentrate when she's stuck in close proximity like that with a couple of cute guys."

"That so?" His smirk is still there, but the eyebrow climbing to his hairline indicates his disbelief of what she is implying about Kate, his voice turning to a low growl. "You have a problem concentrating when we come down for an evidence briefing?"

"Oh, yeah. Especially when Tony wears those tight jeans..."

He looks affronted for a moment, then asks with that smirk again: "Not planning on goin' home tonight?" After all it is his couch she is sitting on, not Tony's.

She gives him a bright smile and gestures toward the basement. "Go play with your boat. I'll be here when you're done."