- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Fornell tries to find out where Tony's spending his weekend
(quote from chapter 5 of the Doctor DiNozzo story)
"So....you're not sick?" Gibbs asked.
Tony shook his head. "I'm not sick."
"This is a good thing…for you?" Gibbs asked.
"Yes, it is."
"I'm not going to be pissed off you kept this from me?" Gibbs inquired.
"Surprised, yes. Amazed, definitely." Tony replied. "But you will not be pissed."
(end quote)

Tony was in hell. Technically, he was at his desk, on the phone, on hold, listening to the same Muzak melodies for the last 15 minutes. Hell. The only reason he was still waiting was because it kept Gibbs from demanding answers about the information Tony's supposed to be getting from this phone call. Someday. Once the Muzak stops.

He zoned out the repetitive music and wondered instead if Gibbs had figured out what he does on his off-call weekends. It's been almost a week since Gibbs cornered him in the elevator and promised to find out. Tony doubted he's figured it out yet becasuse Gibbs hadn't said a word. And Tony was sure that finding out about his being a doctor was something that Gibbs would talk about. He's not scheduled to work at the hospital this weekend, so another Gibbs stakeout won't prove anything except that Tony went to the gym, grocery shopping, and embelleshed his weekend-date stories.

Tony couldn't decide why it's taking so long for Gibbs to figure out. A simple background search would show up his medical degree. A financial check would show the payments from Bethesda into his account within two weeks of his shifts there. Even a review of his HR paperwork would show his second job. Maybe Gibbs gave up the hunt. Tony snorted. Not a chance.

His musings about Gibbs, still with the Muzak background, were interrupted by the ding of the elevator ding and an angry Fornell heading his way. Fornell just glared at him and continued to Gibbs' desk. Tony looked after the FBI agent in surprise. As far as he knew, Tony hadn't done anything recently to piss off the FBI.

"Gibbs. I want your file, DiNutzo's notes, and NCIS off the case." Fornell stood in front of Gibbs, his tone just one step below a shout. DiNozzo raised his eyebrows in surprise. He had no idea what case Fornell was talking about. From the look on Gibbs' face, Tony wasn't alone.

Gibbs looked up at the other man and slowly removed his reading glasses before answering with a small half-smile, "And what case is that, Tobias?" Tony exchanged glances with Kate. She shrugged her shoulders and turned to watch the two senior agents. McGee also looked clueless, but Tony couldn't tell if it was his usual expression or not.

Fornell gave a low growl. "You know which case, Gibbs. I want DiNutzo pulled out of whatever undercover op he's on, and I want all the details now. And NCIS better not have blown my case!"
Tony's jaw dropped open. Gibbs stood up, "Conference room. Now." He gestured for Tony and Fornell to follow him to the conference room - the real one, not the elevator - around the corner from the bullpen. Tony hung up the phone, finally silencing the Muzak. He scribbled a note and dropped it on McGee's desk. Let McGee listen to Muzak while he worked on whatever techno-research he was doing for the case.

Tony caught up with the two men just as they entered the conference room. Tony closed the door behind him and took a seat at the table next to Gibbs. Fornell spoke first, "Stop playing games Gibbs. You are not keeping this case."

Gibbs spread his hands wide. "No games, Fornell. I don't know what case you're talking about, and DiNozzo is not working undercover." Tony nodded vigorously in agreement.

Fornell clearly didn't believe Gibbs. He turned to Tony, "Really? So what were you doing last weekend?"

"Last weekend? I was..." Tony hesitated. Gibbs and Fornell waited expectantly. Tony gave a quiet laugh, and shook his head. "I get it. Gibbs set you up to this, didn't he? I'm disappointed, Gibbs. I didn't think you'd ask Fornell to find out what I do with my weekends off." He stood up, "sorry gentlemen, but it won't work."

Tony took two steps toward the door before Fornell and Gibbs both yelled at him to stop. Gibbs waved at Fornell to let him speak first. "Sit down DiNozzo. This has nothing to do with that." Fornell interrupted, "So you're undercover on your own? What are you investigating?"

Tony shook his head, "I'm not undercover. Not for NCIS, not on my own, and definitely not for the FBI!" He shook his head again, and went back to his seat. "Ok, then where you were last weekend?" Fornell demanded.

"You tell me," Tony said. "Prove that Gibbs didn't set you up - sorry, Boss, but rule 39- there's no coincidences. Fornell, you tell me." Gibbs scowled, but reluctantly nodded in agreement. Fornell looked at the two NCIS agents and sent a silent curse to whatever diety had caused their paths to cross.

"Fine. So help me, DiNutzo, if you did anything, anything to mess up this case..." Fornell shook his head. "You were in Bethesda's Emergency room all weekend."

Gibbs and Tony were both surprised. "You said you weren't sick," Gibbs said accusingly. "I'm not," Tony said, "Bethesda, that's, um, a part-time job. On my off-call weekends." He hoped that was enough for Fornell. It was certainly enough for Gibbs to track down the rest of the details.

Fornell gave a harsh laugh. "Really? You expect me, us..." waving a hand between Gibbs and himself, "to believe you're a doctor, a licensed Emergency Room doctor, working part-time at Bethesda? Come on, you can come up with a better story than that!"

Tony wondered what kind of background check the FBI had done that Fornell didn't know, or believe, his license was real. "Nope, no story, Fornell. That's exactly what I am."

Gibbs stared at his senior agent. "Amazing."